HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:06 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,020 Posts
Take it from me, that is excellent progress!

With only 30 or so minutes experience and to be flying that well is awesome. Most new pilots struggle for much longer. There will be prangs in your future, but rest assured, you'll be a great flyer before too long, couple it with a willingness to try new things, and modify it yourself as needed, and it looks like you've found the perfect hobby!

Congrats again

Subsonic.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:29 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
thanks much Sub :fistbump:

Only problem now is, I already have more than enough hobbies :P

Bringing her home in piece was due in large part to sticking to very basic (i.e. wimpy) maneuvers so far.

I was so amped I forgot to start the timer twice (but judging by the remaining V on the two I timed at 4:30 I guessed well), and also forgot to test stall behavior (i.e. take her "2 mistakes high", straight, reduce throttle to 1/2, 1/4, 0, see what happens) and explore her vertical performance at all, even on the 4th flight. She just looked soooooo beautiful soaring through the sky at relatively gentle angles I was happy to make smooth turns both with and without aileron, and bring her in level for landings.
On all 4 batteries I overshot the runway once and simply jammed the throttle, pulled up the gear and went around.
Will keep y'all updated on future sorties. Looking forward to going up with other plane(s), doing touch and goes, and other more advanced moves (hammerhead, wingover, split S, slow rolls after more sim time etc) after a few more packs.
Cheers man - happy flying to you!
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:45 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,020 Posts
I suppose it's obvious why full scale pilot have checklists...

Tell me if you've heard this stuff before and I'll shutup

1) If your radio will do it, set your timer to count down when throttle >10% or so, and have a reset for that timer on a momentary switch. This gives a pretty accurate estimate of the amount of juice you've used, and all you need to remember is to throw the momentary switch if you change a pack and don't cycle the power on your radio. I like this feature if I fly pack - pack - pack...

2) Measuring the static volage of the pack is one way to tell how much juice you've used, but I like to rely on what my charger tells me it has put back into the pack. For a 2200 pack, I like to put back less than 1760mAh, so 80% of the batteries capacity. I adjust my flight timer so that number is not exceeded. I think I fly my P38 for about 7 minutes? Cant really remember as it's been so long since I've flown it

Sub.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:09 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post

1) If your radio will do it, set your timer to count down when throttle >10% or so, and have a reset for that timer on a momentary switch. This gives a pretty accurate estimate of the amount of juice you've used, and all you need to remember is to throw the momentary switch if you change a pack and don't cycle the power on your radio. I like this feature if I fly pack - pack - pack...

2) Measuring the static volage of the pack is one way to tell how much juice you've used, but I like to rely on what my charger tells me it has put back into the pack. For a 2200 pack, I like to put back less than 1760mAh, so 80% of the batteries capacity. I adjust my flight timer so that number is not exceeded. I think I fly my P38 for about 7 minutes? Cant really remember as it's been so long since I've flown it

Sub.
I have a timer, as most prolly do on their radios and early on I set it for a low time like 4 mins...I fly the bird fairly hard and once I land, I go home and charge the battery seeing how much mah I put back in and I keep the 80% rule in mind to prolong my lipo life...sooooo 2200 (1760 on 80%) mah on a 4 min flight and I put back 880...I could safely fly that plane 6-7 mins without damaging or running the lipo down to LVC
03svtsnakevert is offline Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:54 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Here's a few that I actually modified and/or made for RC, not just FS:

Before takeoff:

CIGAR

Controls (check travel limits and direction, cycle gear)
Instruments (set battery timer)
Gas (Did you use the charged battery or the discharged one? Check telemetry on battery status if applicable)
Attitude (trim, landing switch for expo or dual rates)
Runup (make sure it makes power at full throttle, no excess vibrations, etc.)

I usually don't take off with flaps, but I would incorporate that in with attitude if I wanted to use them.

On approach and landing:

I'm not good at mnemonics but it works for me...you can figure out the word it spells out

Flaps
Attitude (same as CIGAR, make sure your trim and landing switch is set)
Gear
Altitude (you'll be falling fast with the extra drag, so watch your altitude losses)
Speed (maintain a safe speed above stall until flareout)
Straight (keep it straight until it stops rolling, don't let it drift off centerline even if you have plenty of room)

Missed approach/go around:

CCCC

Cram it (full throttle)
Clean it (flaps up, gear retract optional)
Cool it (don't get nervous, calm yourself and try it again)
Circle it (give yourself a second to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it for the next approach)

After landing (nothing to do with RC I just like the fact they used midget for this one):

MIDGET

Master off
Ignition off
Doors locked
Gust lock installed
ELT off
Tie down plane
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:33 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Quote:

I've heard them before, but good reminders so pls don't shut up

Re-charging the batteries from yesterday took between 1300 and 1500mAH, so was getting pretty close to the bottom of the tank.

Today I did another four ~4 minute flights, getting more adventurous with vertical and inverted moves. Tricky cross winds but managed clean landings.

So far have charged up 3 of the 4 2200mAH packs:
#1 took 1060mAH, with 11.5V showing at start of charge
#2 took 1107 (11.49V)
#3 took 1366 (11.35V)
#4 (charging now) (11.27V)

So theoretically could have run them another minute and stayed withing the 80% rule.

Good lists there, West TX.
When I read your first one CIGAR I thought "hey I did that!", cause I smoked a Backwoods Cigar after the successful maiden
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:41 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Up to 18 highly enjoyable flights with the Lightning.

I wasn't digging the patched up appearance anymore so gave her a coat of flat black spray paint (with red wingtips to help with orientation) for a nightfighter-like scheme. Mean!

Have also made the jump to 4s... now she really has POWER!
The thicker pack required slicing off the tab on the battery cover and gluing in a CF post and tube.

Only takes around 3:45 to drain a 2200mAH pack down ~75% (measured by amount of mAH put back in). Not sure if slightly out of balance props/spinners are contributing much to the fast drain, but sure wish a 3000+ mAH pack would fit in there.

I really love flying this thing. Looking forward to building the v2 kit on the shelf so she'll have a fresh, D-Day painted companion.

Anyone else still flying their JPower Lightning??
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:32 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,315 Posts
Yep, still goin strong! I have yet to put the doors back on, but I might just not bother.
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:42 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,020 Posts
Looking good Kurt!

Looks like it may have had a few bumps and scrapes as well eh?

I'd think you would have to pretty much pin the throttle open for the whole flight to drain a 4S 2200 in less than 4 minutes! Oh well, each of us must have our own style I suppose!

Sub.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:20 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Cool!
I tore the front gear door off and painted the wheel well flat black, don't even notice it's not there in flight. The rear doors help a bit to keep the V1 rear gear up so I've left them on for now :P

Thanks Sub. Yup she's got some battle scars, but happy to say after her nearly catastrophic 1st flight where I had the ailerons reversed there have been no crashes!!!!
knocking on wood....
So other than the dinged up nose (crashing nose first, inverted tends to do that ), engine cowls, and somewhat sloppy epoxy on the main wing CF spars she's not really in bad shape.
I also reinforced the ultra-thin rudder links by basically doubling their strength with 0.5mm CF rod epoxied right to them. I've got the rudder low DR set to 50%, response is ridiculous now but haven't yet pulled off a clean knife-edge.

Uh yeah, she likes to fly fast

Off to Bong Park in about an hour, gorgeous day for flyin!
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:56 PM
Australia, NSW, Maroubra
Joined Mar 2011
35 Posts
Replacement Spinners and Props

Hi all I fly this on a 4 s and have been having heaps of fun. Unfortuntley the motors have burned up (only saved the plane from a stack beacuse of posting on this site explaining what to do in the event of an engine failure ie throttle right down to get you out of the spin that the failure causes) and Ive swapped out the stock motors but the new ones have 4mm shafts as opposed to the orginals which have 3mm. When I tried to drill out the holes in the orginal spinners it always comes out off centre and induces vibrations.
Anyone know a suitable replacement spinner which is the same shape and with 4mm holes as I can see plenty out there but most have a sharper profile than the orginals and dont look that good on the plane.

Also what MAS props would be a suitable replacement to go with them

Thanks
Happy8 is offline Find More Posts by Happy8
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:25 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Happy -
I used a reamer to enlarge the spinner hole. Not absolutely perfect balance but it worked.
I did replace the steel spinner screws with 4-40 aluminum capscrews, and tapped the backplate so they're much easier to remove and install without stripping.

Props I use are Master Airscrew 9x7, one pusher one puller
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...GYM7&search=Go
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...J18+&search=Go

The stock spinner is ~2.4" diameter, so this would probably work
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE154&P=ML

but is quite a bit pricier than stock replacements (which are V1s so would still require reaming)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19092

Anyone have a good source for a suitable replacement nose gear strut? Mine is pretty bent up from running off the end of the runway... have bent it back several times but eventually it'll probably snap from fatigue.

V2 strut is 3mm diameter, 100mm long.
thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, MN, Odin
Joined Aug 2010
332 Posts
Kurt,

Are you using the master airscrew props with the stock esc and motors?

Thanks
Redhood is online now Find More Posts by Redhood
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:15 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhood View Post
Kurt,

Are you using the master airscrew props with the stock esc and motors?

Thanks
Stock ESCs but replaced the V1 motors these SK3 - 3530-1150kv when I bent a shaft.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18160
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:19 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Anyone have a good source for a suitable replacement nose gear strut? Mine is pretty bent up from running off the end of the runway... have bent it back several times but eventually it'll probably snap from fatigue.

V2 strut is 3mm diameter, 100mm long.
thanks!
I couldn't resist ordering a set of these last night for $20 shipped. Will require a bit of adapting to mate up with the 3mm hole in the worm-drive gear, and won't be totally correct since the P-38 should only have a single nose wheel, but having suspension would be very nice especially when overshooting the runway :P
http://www.hobbypartz.com/exi-jet-me...ndgearset.html