SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2012, 10:27 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
How was the steering accomplished? Pull-Pull or like mine?
Pics? Would love to see how else it is done.
Mine's not with me to take a pic right now. Servo linkage goes into a long, narrow slot. rides back and forth in the slot with the gear up. Pushes against the sides and moves the strut when the gear is down.

Edit:
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1277775184

From page 16 post 1514 this topic. I can enlarge it but can't post the enlarged inage.

You can see the slot attached to the RH side of the bellcrank. Pivots on it.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Last edited by Gohmer; May 04, 2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: pic
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 11:49 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
Nose wheel

This is my first nose wheel retract...believe it or not...in 20 years of rc planes. I've had LOTS of tail draggers that were much easier to install for various reasons.

Are the V2 servoless retracts that are stock any good? If I hadn't gotten this airframe for $39 i sure wouldn't have put the trouble of these retracts into this plane. Next time ARF, if it's any good.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old May 04, 2012, 12:07 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,047 Posts
Been my experience that all stock retracts will eventually fail due to quality issues. My LX A-10 had some good looking retracts but the failure rate was ridiculous. I upgraded mine to E Fights after 2 flights on the stock gear. Haven' t has a issue since. I'll evaluate the V2 when it arrives and if they don't cut it I'll replace them. I don't hold much hope though.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old May 04, 2012, 12:47 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
I've got an HK (Venom) F-86 coming with electric retracts built in and I'm hoping they will last...fingers crossed.

Maybe we should start a new thread....Retracts Anonymous....

My name is Russ and it's been one day since I've worked on retracts.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old May 04, 2012, 12:59 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,047 Posts
No joke I just finished working on the ones in my Skyraider.

Mike
Old May 04, 2012, 01:33 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
797 Posts
V2 retracts

I probably have 2 dozen or more flights on my V2 and I have not had a single issue with the retracts. They have worked flawlessly so far. I retrofitted my Venom F-86 with servoless retracts and again no issues so far.
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old May 04, 2012, 02:46 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,849 Posts
maybe a silly question

For kicks I removed the front servoless retract from my un-built V2 kit and test fitted it in the front of my built-but-not-yet-flown V1. Seems like it will be relatively easy to swap over, but when I plugged in the V2 retract it goes down when the two V1 rear gear are up, and vice versa. Tried unplugging the front in the up position, moving the rears up and replugging in the front, but it automatically went down.
Is there a way to 'reverse' one gear, so that all three are synched? Or do all 3 have to be servo-less, or servo controlled?
Swapping over the rears looks to be quite a bit more difficult with the V1 kit already built (wing is in the way).
thanks!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old May 04, 2012, 02:51 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,047 Posts
Nose gear to Aux 1 or 2 then mixed to the gear channel would be the easiest way.

Mike
Old May 04, 2012, 03:17 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
Nose gear to Aux 1 or 2 then mixed to the gear channel would be the easiest way.

Mike
Good idea, but unfortunately I'm already using the 6th channel for nose wheel steering, mixed so it doesn't steer when up.... unless I get a 7 ch+ receiver there are no channels left :/
Old May 04, 2012, 03:42 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,047 Posts
crap...........

Mike
Old May 04, 2012, 04:31 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
You might try a servo signal reverser, not sure how they work with servoless retracts but the theory should hold.
Only $2 at hobbyking:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17033

Probably a ton here in the states from name brand guys for only a few bucks more.
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old May 04, 2012, 05:20 PM
Dr. DIY
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
One question, why only 2-3min flight times?
Simply because I get bored... Landing is where it's at for me! I could do touch-and-go's all day long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Is there a way to 'reverse' one gear, so that all three are synched? Or do all 3 have to be servo-less, or servo controlled?
Is there room to flip the servo arms around so that they move the other way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
Are the V2 servoless retracts that are stock any good? If I hadn't gotten this airframe for $39 i sure wouldn't have put the trouble of these retracts into this plane. Next time ARF, if it's any good.
I believe they're the same as found here:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/pz-15090-retract.html

And they look like the same ones that came in my Dynam Spitfire today... I understand these retracts are generally considered solid. If they're not the same, I would put these PZ-15090 retracts in all day long...
WiperBlade is offline Find More Posts by WiperBlade
Last edited by WiperBlade; May 04, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old May 04, 2012, 06:23 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,849 Posts
Thanks TX!
I'm kind of committed to going servoless on at least the nose wheel since I prematurely ripped out the stock servo motor before plugging in the new gear to test it :/
Don't feel like waiting for another HK order so just bought one off Ebay that should hopefully be here for next weekend:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190649099799...84.m1497.l2649

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiperBlade View Post
Is there room to flip the servo arms around so that they move the other way?
Good thinking - I just looked at the rear gear and yes it probably wouldn't be too difficult to rotate the rear servos 180 degrees with some foam cutting and re-gluing. But as long as I'm doing that might as well swap them out for servoless (which are coming from Hobbypartz, the ones you linked above, which are the same exact dimensions as the ones that come with the V2 kit BTW).
My strategy may be flawed (won't be the first time lol): the nose gear on mine collapsed under garage-taxiing, while the rear did not, and I haven't read here that the rears fail as much as the nose.... so I was going to try some take-offs with servoless just on the front at first.
Going to be pretty windy around here for at least the next week, and I'm going out of town from M-Thurs next week so if the servo reverser and satellite booster come in, and this weekend I mount the V2 nose gear, the weekend after this one should be maiden time....
Old May 04, 2012, 06:56 PM
Scott
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Jul 2010
47 Posts
Ditto on the V2 servoless retracts 13 flights no issues. Even bent the nose gear badly on a dead stick. Took it apart and straightened the rod. Works fine.
moodified13 is offline Find More Posts by moodified13
Old May 05, 2012, 06:45 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,828 Posts
my v2 servoless retracts burned out after about 5 or 6 flight only, I replaced them with the hk ones and they seem to be ok for about 40 flights.
you can reverse a servo by swapping the wires round on the motor and the pot inside servo but I warn you its fidely but it works a treat better then a servo reverser and cheaper-look it up to see how its done.
But you cant reverse a sevoless retract like that!
The hk retracts are still fine in my p38 but have not had many flights. In my fw190 one burned out after 40 or so flights and burned out the 3 amp ubec causing plane to crash so I am wary now of using them at all.
The field has had its first cut of the year but is still too rough to fly my retracts off maybe after the next cut it will be ok, I have only been flying gliders for ages now due to poor field and windy weather.
my flight times on my p38 are only 5 mins tops with 1100mah a123 lifepo4 batts, my minimoa motor glider does 35 mins minimum and has done 1hour and 50 mins on one battery and I can charge batts in 20 mins lol so you can see why more often then not I take out a glider, I would rather spend more time flying then charging plus the glider copes better with winds
Cant wait till field and weather get it together so I can get some warbirds up again though.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Last edited by nigelsheffield; May 05, 2012 at 06:57 AM.