HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2012, 07:42 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Good stuff Wiper, appreciate you putting it down.

I've got some time before I buy 4s packs, but being new to multi-cell batteries I've been scratching my melon with all the choices.

Today while taxiing around the garage (boy she puts out impressive thrust even with 3s 2250MAHers!) the nose gear folded up twice over relatively small joints in the concrete. Not a mark on the epoxy-painted belly at least!
Anyway, broke the clevis while popping off the linkage to adjust to max throw, so had to canabalize the V2 kit for the one (1) suitable clevis (nose gear steering link) that came with the kit. LHS didn't have any small enough to fit the ~1mm link.
I thought about switching over at least the entire servo-less front gear from the V2 kit, but now that I've got the link adjusted to 1% below "buzzing sero" hopefully the cruddy retracts will hold for at least a few take-offs until the 3 I just ordered from Hobby Partz arrive (along with twenty 1.2mm linkage stoppers):
http://www.hobbypartz.com/pz-15090-retract.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-5007.html

Also bought a can of satin Polycrylic Polyurathane at Home Depot today, and a small rattle can of Testor's matte clear spray. Since I've liberally "painted" all belly parts and the horiz/vert stab and main wing edges with epoxy I'll probably just give her a thin coat of the Testor's before hopefully taking her up this weekend.
This evening is 75F and dead calm.... at least took the MSR for a nice flight around the backyard.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 08:22 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,569 Posts
Kurt

Yes I "painted" the entire plane with the water-based, clear polyurethane. For me the top is the most important part to keep from getting hangar rash.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old May 03, 2012, 01:23 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,740 Posts
Russ,
Does that WBPU dry clear or does it leave a slight tint?
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old May 03, 2012, 03:35 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
Russ,
Does that WBPU dry clear or does it leave a slight tint?
It dries clear. It goes on looking a bit milky tho. You hv seen my planes and they all hv been painted with it.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 04:17 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
LOL, I used puffed out 3S batteries charged by hooking them up directly to a car battery for a non-specific charge time.
I was getting consistent 8min flight times.

Wiper, the 3300 is a bit on the heavy side, but 4S power should make it feel nice and light in the air.
One question, why only 2-3min flight times?
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old May 04, 2012, 07:27 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,040 Posts
Pulled the trigger on this one and should have it here mid next week.
Thanks for the helpful info posted here.

Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old May 04, 2012, 07:45 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,569 Posts
Nose retract works!

Finally got the nose retract to work!
It's not great because it doesn't have much turning radius. If I had to do it over again...I would place the servo on it's side on the floor so the connecting rod would be lower and wouldn't interfere with connecting rod arm that connects to wheel strut when it retracts. It still retracts enough though and with the nifty programming trick, it won't harm anything since it won't be binding when the rudder is applied during flight.
Hoping to get a maiden this weekend.
Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 08:12 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Good deal Russ!
What did you use to mount the new retract to - basswood or balsa? 4-40 bolts with blind nuts?

Yesterday I stopped by the RC field at Bong recreational park on the drive back from Chicago. Wow what a nice field! Smooth paved runway, only 30 minutes from my house. Will definitely be doing the maiden flight here.
Is anyone here using a R610 6-ch Orange reciever ? I did a range check on the ground with mine and it seems to work at ~50 paces/150 yards.
Have one of these satellite recievers on the way, which as I understand it should increase the range when used in conjunction with the R610.

thanks!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old May 04, 2012, 09:01 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Good deal Russ!
What did you use to mount the new retract to - basswood or balsa? 4-40 bolts with blind nuts?

YR610 6-ch Orange reciever
Thanks...I used basswood and just predrilled holes (smaller than screw) and then ran a couple of drops of Medium CA into the holes AFTER I put screws in once and removed them. That's it. I Gorilla Glued the basswood blocks in there good too.

I have about 4 Orange 6 rx's and they work great BUT...I have also had 3 of them fail and cost me one FMS Mustang and crashed a T-28 that was fixable and crashed a J-35 Draken jet just two weeks ago that I have pieced back together. The satellites don't add that much piece of mind 'cos my Mustang had one and it "browned out" very close to me. They are truly hit or miss and you take your chances. All of my new planes, including this one, have at least a real Spektrum AR-600 DSM-X in them. The DSM-X technology is awesome. It has spread spectrum technology PLUS frequecy hopping all built it and has never failed me.

My 02,

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 09:13 AM
Hopewell Jct. NY
Joined Jun 2004
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Good deal Russ!

Yesterday I stopped by the RC field at Bong recreational park on the drive back from Chicago. Wow what a nice field! Smooth paved runway, only 30 minutes from my house. Will definitely be doing the maiden flight here.
Is anyone here using a R610 6-ch Orange reciever ? I did a range check on the ground with mine and it seems to work at ~50 paces/150 yards.
Have one of these satellite recievers on the way, which as I understand it should increase the range when used in conjunction with the R610.

thanks!
Please don't torment those of us who have to fly off grass, and really lumpy grass at that. On a good day our field looks like it's got a bad case of mange.

Glenn
vicar is offline Find More Posts by vicar
Old May 04, 2012, 09:23 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicar View Post
Please don't torment those of us who have to fly off grass, and really lumpy grass at that. On a good day our field looks like it's got a bad case of mange.

Glenn
Retracts are way more trouble than they're worth. My belly lander one gets flown more, even at my field that has a paved runway.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old May 04, 2012, 09:32 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Retracts are way more trouble than they're worth. My belly lander one gets flown more, even at my field that has a paved runway.
ALMOST true...they are a LOT of trouble but I just love taking off and landing on gear. It's one of the challenges that I enjoy most. I err on the other side. Most of my planes have static gear. I almost went to static gear on this one due to the trouble the nose wheel caused me.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 09:36 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
ALMOST true...they are a LOT of trouble but I just love taking off and landing on gear. It's one of the challenges that I enjoy most. I err on the other side. Most of my planes have static gear. I almost went to static gear on this one due to the trouble the nose wheel caused me.
E-Flite servoless retracts solve the nose wheel steering problem. I use them on my silver one.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old May 04, 2012, 10:14 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
E-Flite servoless retracts solve the nose wheel steering problem. I use them on my silver one.
How was the steering accomplished? Pull-Pull or like mine?
Pics? Would love to see how else it is done.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 10:19 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,040 Posts
It's pretty much a "given" that the stock retracts suck on theses ARF's. Maybe someday the manufactures will deal with this. I always budget some extra funds for this type of issue when I hit they buy button. I've had great luck with the E Flights.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663