Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:27 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,741 Posts
I'm joining the club!!! Couldn't resist $55 and free shipping over $100.

Big Brown Truck dropped mine off today....and it's the V2!!! Servoless retracts and motor like what was shown in some of the pics on this thread as V2!!! I had plans to do belly landing on V1 but with this better retracts, they will stay on and this will be my first retract plane

Will be a while til it gets airborne as I'll have to order ESC, BEC, etc...
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:45 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
My P-38 has been nothing but a joy to own/fly....On 4s she really performs and hand launches are dead straight...I did away with the landing gear which is 99% of the maintenance on this plane...I painted mine with Krylon silver metallic and Krylon paint for plastics...The paint for plastics takes longer to dry but is flexible...I used Krylon flat clear to dull the plane....

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:21 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Hi Guys, I have just bought the V1 from HK. Can anyone hook me up with the ESC programming beep codes?

Both my motors have really bad stutters on startup.

sub.
This would be for the blue ESC's.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:08 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post

Big Brown Truck dropped mine off today....and it's the V2!!! Servoless retracts and motor like what was shown in some of the pics on this thread as V2!!! I had plans to do belly landing on V1 but with this better retracts, they will stay on and this will be my first retract plane

the green one? lucky you, you won the p-38 kit lottery then lol. I think the rest of us got V1's
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:59 PM
USA, NJ, Red Bank
Joined Sep 2010
219 Posts
Hey Dude.....How did you pull that off?....I put in for two of them and received 2 V1's.......Should I spin the wheel and get 2 more?..........Steve
eggsplurt is offline Find More Posts by eggsplurt
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:51 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,741 Posts
I placed the order on Dec 18 so they may have run out of V1 kits or I just got lucky in the midst of rushing to ship Xmas orders.

Did other kits come with servo Y and 3 way connectors for gears? I looked thru the box but didn't find any.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:03 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
This would be for the blue ESC's.
Thanks so much for that. Unfortunately, I don't think that's right, or I'm not reading the manual correctly. Yes I have the blue ESCs as found in the V1. The sequence of beeps is not the same as that in the linked document.

Edit: found the manual http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X217741X17.pdf

I managed to find the factory reset mode. It didn't work.

So, here's a better explanation of my problem. I've run up the RH motor and it pulls about 20A on 3S. The LH motor pulls only 15 and has noticeably less RPM. The slower motor also has a stutter on startup, and will hesitate if I punch the throttle. I doubt it's rubbing anywhere (I did the firewall mod), as if it was it would pull more current. I was just thinking I could reset the ESC to the factory defaults, but no such luck with that. I also managed to do the throttle calibration I think.

I remember a while back someone had a similar problem with asymmetric power, and got it sorted, only I can't remember how it was done?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give. I'm pretty reluctant to fly it like it is.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Last edited by subsonic; Dec 28, 2011 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Found the Manual
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:07 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Try switching out the motors, or ESC's if it's easier for you.
That will tell you if it's motor/prop related or ESC related.
If nothing changes when you switch out motors (or if the problem switches sides when you swap ESC's), that means the ESC is the culprit.
If the problem switches sides by switching motors (or if nothing changes when you swap ESC's), then the motor/prop is the culprit.

Once you know what's causing the disparity, it makes it a lot easier to fix.
If the motor/prop combo is causing the issue, try balancing the prop or swapping sides to see if that changes anything, also double check to make sure there's no rubbing anywhere on the motor/spinner.
An out of balance prop or rubbing spinner absorbs a lot more power than one would imagine.
You can check the motor wiring if you determine that's the culprit, but unless you're good with winding and such it's probably a fair bet to say that you'll be better off just getting another one.
If it's the ESC, you're stuck with re-programming or replacement.
Alternatively, you can set up differential thrust slaved to your rudder to trim them together at full throttle, but you'll lose some of your full throttle thrust.
In this application it would be more of a band-aid fix just to get you flying until you can fix the issue, whatever it may be.

I've also noticed that some motors tend to work better after a few full throttle runs...kind of a break in process I guess.
Something to consider, anyway.
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:38 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,573 Posts
You lucky Dude!

I don't have any y-leads with my kit either. I ordered the retracts separately and got two HK Red Brick 50 amp plus 5amp BEC's ready for install. The wiring is going to be a nightmare on this plane. Gonna have to decide whether to run long motor wires into center fuse or long battery leads to motors. I think I'm gonna rig for 4S.

Gonna be a slow build I think, for me at least.

You missed some good flying this morning and yesterday at JSC!

Terry also was out there testing a Tower Hobby electric plane for a magazine article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post

RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:36 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,741 Posts
Hey Russ,
I'll try to meet up this Saturday. This P-38 will be a slow build for me also...I'm now with 22 planes/helis so too much for my DX7's memory slots. Need to retire some before I can fly my 2 Xmas planes
Old Jan 03, 2012, 12:06 AM
United States, CA, Hermosa Beach
Joined Feb 2011
168 Posts
Fms p-38

Well it's here... Well, overseas but for sale! Who's going to be first?

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2023
NewPil0t is offline Find More Posts by NewPil0t
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:43 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
Try switching out the motors, or ESC's if it's easier for you.
That will tell you if it's motor/prop related or ESC related.
If nothing changes when you switch out motors (or if the problem switches sides when you swap ESC's), that means the ESC is the culprit.
If the problem switches sides by switching motors (or if nothing changes when you swap ESC's), then the motor/prop is the culprit.

Once you know what's causing the disparity, it makes it a lot easier to fix.
If the motor/prop combo is causing the issue, try balancing the prop or swapping sides to see if that changes anything, also double check to make sure there's no rubbing anywhere on the motor/spinner.
An out of balance prop or rubbing spinner absorbs a lot more power than one would imagine.
You can check the motor wiring if you determine that's the culprit, but unless you're good with winding and such it's probably a fair bet to say that you'll be better off just getting another one.
Right, so I've swapped the motors around. it was easier to do that than to get to the ESCs which in the V1, have their connectors pretty much buried.

The result? The fault has followed the motor. Now the RH motor has less RPM at full throttle (8,500 vs 10,000 for the LH) and pulls less current too, so it can't be rubbing or a balance problem.

Now what? Happy to dip into Hobbyking for some new motors. What are the specs? What is a good replacement? I'd prefer to stay with the m3 threaded shafts if possible, as I can use the kit's props and spinners. Unless there's a really good reason to change everything from the firewalls forward?

Thanks for all the help thus far guys.

Sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:13 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPil0t View Post

looks a bit better then this one but more money obviously and unless I trash mine beyond all repair I wont be bothering lol.
NOw if were a choice between the 2 from the start I think I would go for FMS as long as the quality is there but that remains to be seen.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:19 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPil0t View Post

I would if they had a US source. Lots of dramatic info on this airplane in it's own topic.
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:30 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,573 Posts
Starting My Build on a V1

I'm starting my build on this beauty of a plane. Here is a pic of what I believe to be a weak point, where the booms connect to rudders. I just put a bamboo skewer in the end and epoxied it in. Fiberglass would have been sturdier but I think this will do with a good epoxy job when I join 'em together.

I know it's controversial but I'm going to put ESC (50 amp HK Red Brick) and a 5v HK BEC in each nacelle and then run battery leads over to center pod to 4S battery there. I figure with 4S I have some power to burn with the longer power leads.

Man, is this going to be a mass of wires from servoless retracts, escs, becs, and batteries!

I'm going in...

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014