SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:54 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
My hobby is flying planes, both RC and the big ones.
Fixing them is a part of life, and I only do it to get back in the air...after much gnashing of teeth of course
Agree. I actually like modifying them and making them more like I want them and new paint etc. but I hate having to fix the dang things. I have some planes that have flown for years that require no maintenence and then I have some that I can't even get out of the car without having something break that need attention. Things go haywire with them while sitting on the shelf. Heck right now over half my fleet is down for maintenence.
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:38 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee818 View Post
I enjoy modifying the airplanes that I bought anyways, if it did not come with the retracts which pretty much none of them dont for the price..it's a 50/50 percent buildiing, these newbies are spoiled in the hobby, if they would only remember when they had to build from scratch...now all they want to do is fly!! The name of the game it is a HOBBY and includes building and fixing just like ANY other hobby...thats just my 2 cents on the matter on these guys that want to spend chep $$ and expect the world..mine flies perfect and I am always checking my airplane when I come down for loose parts etc. it's just a part of the Hobby, I dont fly off grass, these cheap retracts were not made for T&L on grass, Chill Out you guys and quit whining on the thread and support the ones that wants to learn the pro's and con's of the airplane,thats what it's for, OOrah...10-4 Out
I didn't see anyone on here whining about having to wrench on this plane? Are you sure you posted in the right thread?

For what it's worth, I enjoy building rc planes first, then flying second, but if someone just wants to pay his money and go flying, then I'll fly with that guy anytime too! Maybe in time he'll learn what I find so satisfying about making my own flying creations, but if he doesn't, whatever. All part of what makes the hobby great.

Sub.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:56 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
I didn't see anyone on here whining about having to wrench on this plane? Are you sure you posted in the right thread?

For what it's worth, I enjoy building rc planes first, then flying second, but if someone just wants to pay his money and go flying, then I'll fly with that guy anytime too! Maybe in time he'll learn what I find so satisfying about making my own flying creations, but if he doesn't, whatever. All part of what makes the hobby great.

Sub.
yeah building always used to be part of the fun for sure, nothing beats seeing your plane slowly come together from a pile of balsa in to a beautiful flying machine. What I never liked though was rebuilding after a crash, it either takes me 6 to 12 months b4 I can face rebuilding something or I do right away, depends on how easy a repair is and how much I liked the plane.
for instance my gws fw190 was crahsed in feb and I am only just starting to fix it now as I was getting bored any way and it needed a new nose cowl which I wanted to build out a pop bottle but could not find the right size, but my minimoa arc tech I fixed the very next day as I love flying it and still getting used to how it flies/thermals and all it needed was a bit of boiling water to strieghten things out and the fuse gluing up and wing fixings gluing on Oh and rudder gluing on.
This EPO foam does make for nice quick and easy repairs compared to built up balsa.
I liked the gws planes as they came unassembled and unpainted for a about 30 so you at least had something to do to build them and could choose your own colours and power setups and repairs are easy if you get the epo ones plus as you painted it yourself you will have paint ready to cover any repairs/hanger rash.
I would like to see all these rtf bnf and plug and play planes supplied as arf unpainted too for 30 or so, you can keep your crappy motors/escs/servos/retracts and let me choose my own, plus when I get bored I just buy another airframe for 30 and put all the gear out of old one and maybe retire old frame to a display model if its still in one piece.

just my 2 pence worth lol.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:25 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
I think they need to offer it more like a kit with options.
You start out with absolutely no electronics and work your way up from there.
Add motors, ESC, servos, RX, etc. individually on a pick and choose basis and that's what they send you...so you could get a kit with nothing but servos or a complete PNP/RTF model.
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Add motors, ESC, servos, RX, etc. individually on a pick and choose basis and that's what they send you...so you could get a kit with nothing but servos or a complete PNP/RTF model.
+1 on that!
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:22 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,129 Posts
Sure, it would be nice to have options, but controlling them costs money. It's far easier for the mfr to have one product with cheap gear, and have the user upgrade if he needs to. I'd immagine (I'm not in the toy industry) that the component cost of these things is peanuts, it's in the supply chain where the cost comes from.

sub
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:49 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,719 Posts
Yeah options would be nice, but like sub said it would cost more money organizing it all, how would they know how much of everything to stock etc, but if they just supplied the foam model with nothing in it and no paint would that not be a much cheaper option? It would be streight out of the the mold and into a box job done, no messing around building, painting installing servos/motors esc linkages-we can do all that, there are loads of cheap but decent motors, esc, servos out there.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:40 AM
Efficiency Freak!
Toanawanda NY
Joined Nov 2006
1,620 Posts
Quote:
+1+1 on that!!

I'd much prefer them to come completely unpainted, at least these BH/HK P-38's.

I have removed ALL of the paint off mine...

I will need some help with what kind of paint will stick to this glossy EPO material BETTER than the stock paint?

I've seen paint on smaller EPO models that seems to stick extremely well and flex with it when crushed, so well it's almost as if the EPO just IS the color of the paint, but if you look inside the model you can tell it's painted as the inside is white...

So, does any one know what paint it is that sticks and flexes, etc...to EPO?

Thanks,
Jay
GITech is offline Find More Posts by GITech
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:32 PM
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,854 Posts
I tend to agree with you lads, but we, here in this forum, represent only a very smal %age of the overall sales of these models.
So, based on my experience, and that of your selves, they will continue to be supplied as PNP, or RTF. When we purchase, we do so KNOWING that we may have to replace hardware, repaint etc.

Finally, I will continue to use online shops like HK as a supplier of low cost batteries etc, but will ONLY purchase my models from my LHS.
That way I am assured of support and after sales service.

Merry Christmas to you all, and a safe and happy new year.

Rob
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:15 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,361 Posts
I just repainted mine using rust-oleum Chrome and red paint. Works great not sure if its flexible but I have used that paint for all my planes. And also made my own decals.
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:01 AM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Boy this plane keeps me wrenching too. Always somethng to adjust or bend etc...But I love it. I fly for a day, and work one for another...
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Dec 24, 2011, 02:53 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,361 Posts
Does anybody know what size the motors are on the P-38 V1 and V2
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
Efficiency Freak!
Toanawanda NY
Joined Nov 2006
1,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
I just repainted mine using rust-oleum Chrome and red paint. Works great not sure if its flexible but I have used that paint for all my planes. And also made my own decals.
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

Your plane looks GREAT! Good job!

Did you paint over the stock paint, or?

I'm working with these motors for my P-38: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1491875&page=7

I'm looking at >3000g of thrust at under 40amps total at full throttle on 14.4v between both motors for only ~$30 bucks, plus the time to rewind them... These are my first motors I've ever rewound so it's not that bad or hard.

Later,
Jay
GITech is offline Find More Posts by GITech
Last edited by GITech; Dec 25, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 02:00 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GITech View Post
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

Your plane looks GREAT! Good job!

Did you paint over the stock paint, or?

I'm working with these motors for my P-38: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1491875&page=7

I'm looking at >3000g of thrust at under 40amps total at full throttle on 14.4v between both motors for only ~$30 bucks, plus the time to rewind them... These are my first motors I've ever rewound so it's not that bad or hard.

Later,
Jay
I just painted over it
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:17 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,129 Posts
Hi Guys, I have just bought the V1 from HK. Can anyone hook me up with the ESC programming beep codes?

Both my motors have really bad stutters on startup.

sub.