HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:03 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
516 Posts
I had a CC BEC in my V2 but I was in a banked turn slowing down for final approach when it happened so I was banked, low and slow already. It just rolled over and went in. No room for correction. Chalked it up to Mr. Murphy paying me a long over due visit.
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:58 AM
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
It just rolled over and went in. No room for correction. Chalked it up to Mr. Murphy paying me a long over due visit.
I hate that Irish bastard......
Rob Knox is online now Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spektrum Gratton Air-Fair
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:23 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,581 Posts
turn off lvc and time your flights carefully, starting shorts flights and building up till your batts are coming down at 3.80v per cell lowest, if you do this and make sure you dont put in a flat battery or a duff one you should never have to worry about one motor cutting out b4 other unless of course something else goes wrong!!!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:28 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,581 Posts
I'm just wondering how big a battery these can lift, at moment i use 3 and 4 cell a123 1100mah cells, but flight times are 4 mins to be safe, just wondering if I put cell a123 2300mah cells in weight would be about 240grams on 3 cells and 320 grams on 4 cells.

on the 4 cells 1100 it get up fine plenty of power, on the 3 cells it takes a bit longer to get off ground but nice and scale in air. the 1100 cells weigh 120grams and 160 grams respectively.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 03:58 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
If it's any help, it flies just fine with one of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:34 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
If it's any help, it flies just fine with one of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
yeah, similar weight to 4 cells a123 2300 then so a 4 cell pack made into a 2 side by side and 2 end to end would do it, it would be 52mm wide though, will have to do some careful measuring. should be ok on 3 cells too as long as it gets off ground lol, this would suit me better as I have my hk minimoa on 3 cells 1100mah and that could do with more weight and longer run times but not 4 cells, and my car is running on 3 cells 1100 same story, I'v seen on ebay the 2300 cells going for 39 for 12, they are stated as used and have 2007 date on them......hhhmmm. I've asked if he will supply 6 cells for 20 so I can make 2 3 cell packs to start and if no good for plane at least be fine for car and I really only use 2 packs with car as I can charge faster then I can flatten them lol and only use in garden for a bit off fun when it's too windy to fly( which is most of the time here in yorkshire lol.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:42 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
I flew my minimoa with a 2200mah 3S lipo, getting around 45min or more on a charge.
A bit longer than I wanted to fly at one time, to be truthful.
It's amazing how quickly it got to altitude on 3S too...
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:55 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,576 Posts
Will version 1 motors (BH kit) take 4S power OK?
I'm using all of my own electronics that will be 4S capable.

Thanks,
Russ

P.S. I couldn't fly anything for 45 minutes...I would forget it was up there and probably just walk off chasing something shiny.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:29 AM
Roseville, CA
Joined May 2005
249 Posts
I've made it through 140 pages and forwarded to the latest page. I have the HK P-38 still in the box and checked out one of the pods to see the retracts and to check out the door closure system. It has been changed from the old fishing line method with the springs set up to open the door when tension is released by the gear extending. The method on this plane is the springs are set up to hold the door closed and a wire extension to one side of the main strut is used to push the door open. I don't know if this info has been posted, but with all the talk on retracts, it needs to be posted. Retracts are black and have not done any testing on them yet other then to check them to see if they work. Has this info been posted somewhere between page 140 and now? Do the black retracts work better then the white jobs?
unloco2 is offline Find More Posts by unloco2
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:08 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
I flew my minimoa with a 2200mah 3S lipo, getting around 45min or more on a charge.
A bit longer than I wanted to fly at one time, to be truthful.
It's amazing how quickly it got to altitude on 3S too...
45 mins is a long time, how many mahs did you use?, I never tried mine on lipos, though I have 1800mah cells lipo, I just went for a123 batts as they are bullet proof but my flights were only around 15 to 20 mins using 700mah or so on 3 cells, I've now changed prop up a bit to get better climb outs but power on times are gonna be less then 3 mins, but will climb out better as on prop it came with only just climbs at all to honest.
Will how it goes, I might just put old prop on and use lipos.
Sorry I know this is wrong thread for minimoa!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:59 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
614 Posts
I think the 45 mins is a typo
03svtsnakevert is online now Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:11 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
516 Posts
He was talking about 45mins on a minimoa which is a glider so 45mins is not necessarily a typo.

I've known gliders to stay up for a very long time and even had 1 go through 3 pilots who needed to rest n bathroom breaks after spending over 1 hr keeping it up there each. Just handing over the tx each time but making sure the new pilot can actually see it first.
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:29 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
He was talking about 45mins on a minimoa which is a glider so 45mins is not necessarily a typo.

I've known gliders to stay up for a very long time and even had 1 go through 3 pilots who needed to rest n bathroom breaks after spending over 1 hr keeping it up there each. Just handing over the tx each time but making sure the new pilot can actually see it first.
no prob, it would be a typo if talking about this P38 tho...LOL
03svtsnakevert is online now Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:07 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert View Post
no prob, it would be a typo if talking about this P38 tho...LOL
would need a hell of a lipo to keep this up for 45 mins lol, maybe sometime in the future when some sort of micro nuclear power stations the size of a 1800mah lipo are readilly available for about $30 it could be done lol.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:11 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,490 Posts
Almost finished my V1 build. Unfortunately I noticed that the stock motors that came with the plane do not generate the same amount of thrust. I am itching to fly her but debating about ordering a new pair of motors so that I have equal thrust on both wings. Suggestions?
nom is online now Find More Posts by nom