SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:11 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,487 Posts
“Ran hot water over it and got it pretty darn close to perfect, but still has an ever so slight bend.”

Apply wet silk spun tissue using Weldbond
( http://www.weldbond.com/ ) glue cut with 25% water to the elongated side. When the silk spun tissue and glue dry, the tissue shrinks and pulls tight. You might be able to pull the “bent” side back into line.
This glue/water mix also makes a strong, light weight sealer over raw foam.
1/16 balsa sheet can be glued to foam wings by applying the glue to both surfaces, let it dry, then use a low temperature iron to “iron” the balsa down.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:54 AM
Registered User
Dallas, TX
Joined Oct 2010
42 Posts
Thanks for help everyone. I will post pics after I get her back together.
TX Flyboy is offline Find More Posts by TX Flyboy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:01 PM
Efficiency Freak!
Toanawanda NY
Joined Nov 2006
1,620 Posts
Hi, I've read this entire thread while waiting for my kit to arrive. Nice thread for the BH and HK P-38. Thanks for all of your efforts.

I have purchased the HK P-38 from the USA WH.

Well, I need to change my mind. I have been let go from my job, and have picked up work to do from home so I no longer have time right now.

Anyone want to purchase it?

I have begun to remove all of the paint in order to build it from scratch the way "I would do it". I've been using tape to remove most of it and a prop as a scraper to remove the rest that is too thick.

If you'd like to purchase it I can finish removing the paint from the parts that I have begun to remove paint from, which would be the other wing, it has half of the paint removed on the bottom that you can't see in the pic.

I also have a question for when I'm ready to buy another in the future... Is the P-38 (BZ-38) ARF KIT from BH in fact the "V2" with the larger dims? Funny that BH has different dims for it's ARF kit and RTF listings, can anyone confirm?

RTF: http://www.bananahobby.com/1944.html

ARF: http://www.bananahobby.com/2028.html

Thanks,
Jay
GITech is offline Find More Posts by GITech
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:07 PM
Registered User
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
797 Posts
v1 vs v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GITech View Post
Hi, I've read this entire thread while waiting for my kit to arrive. Nice thread for the BH and HK P-38. Thanks for all of your efforts.

I have purchased the HK P-38 from the USA WH.

Well, I need to change my mind. I have been let go from my job, and have picked up work to do from home so I no longer have time right now.

Anyone want to purchase it?

I have begun to remove all of the paint in order to build it from scratch the way "I would do it". I've been using tape to remove most of it and a prop as a scraper to remove the rest that is too thick.

If you'd like to purchase it I can finish removing the paint from the parts that I have begun to remove paint from, which would be the other wing, it has half of the paint removed on the bottom that you can't see in the pic.

I also have a question for when I'm ready to buy another in the future... Is the P-38 (BZ-38) ARF KIT from BH in fact the "V2" with the larger dims? Funny that BH has different dims for it's ARF kit and RTF listings, can anyone confirm?

RTF: http://www.bananahobby.com/1944.html

ARF: http://www.bananahobby.com/2028.html

Thanks,
Jay
I have the v2 while my flying buddy has a v1. The v2 is much easier to assemble as it pretty much bolts together. He says mine is faster, but if so not much. My paint is much better than his. Of course, my electric retracts seem to work much better than his and he has had trouble getting the gear doors to stay closed. The main thing I dislike about mine is it has way too much dihederal in the wings. It looks like an old Hobie Hawk to me. It flies really well so I guess I will live with it..
jpflyer is online now Find More Posts by jpflyer
Last edited by jpflyer; Oct 14, 2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:19 PM
Efficiency Freak!
Toanawanda NY
Joined Nov 2006
1,620 Posts
How about the dims? Is yours actually bigger than your friends?

Is the increased dihedral "stock"? (Or maybe from how he and you assembled the kit differently?)

Thanks
GITech is offline Find More Posts by GITech
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:30 PM
Registered User
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
797 Posts
dims

Quote:
Originally Posted by GITech View Post
How about the dims? Is yours actually bigger than your friends?

Is the increased dihedral "stock"? (Or maybe from how he and you assembled the kit differently?)

Thanks
No they are the same size, at least wingtip to wingtip. All the v2's I have seen on youtube all appear to have the same hobie hawk wing. On the v1 you have to glue the wing together, so maybe you could adjust here and there a bit, but the v2 bolts together, so no adjustment is possible. It appears that the dihederal issue is from the booms out to the tips. I thought of working on it, but there is some type of spar all the way to the tip.
jpflyer is online now Find More Posts by jpflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:11 PM
Efficiency Freak!
Toanawanda NY
Joined Nov 2006
1,620 Posts
Interesting! BH is a liar then!

(like that's a surprise, right guys, ok guys, it's big guys, it's fast guys, goes together in seconds guys, guys, guys, guys, I hate THAT GUY, LIAR!) (What's his name?)

Woah, don't usually do that.

Anyway, if it is not any bigger, then I don't know if I should get rid of this one "just for now" as I will only be TOO busy and broke until November 1st (when my time to do this "home work" is over), in order to get another thats' airframe is NOT actually any bigger or better...

Hmmmm....bahhhhh
GITech is offline Find More Posts by GITech
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:27 PM
Efficiency Freak!
Toanawanda NY
Joined Nov 2006
1,620 Posts
I just listened to "him" say "guys" like 100 times in his P-38 vid to find out his name is....

"Pete" GUYS!
GITech is offline Find More Posts by GITech
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:35 PM
Registered User
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GITech View Post
I just listened to "him" say "guys" like 100 times in his P-38 vid to find out his name is....

"Pete" GUYS!
Thanks for sharing that with us.

How much do you want for your P-38? Might have better luck selling it in the classifieds. Most of us already have one.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:25 AM
Registered User
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,406 Posts
Check out what I see at 3:20 in the video!
This week in RC 15 with Liz, f-18 crashes, winner selected, and first look (4 min 54 sec)
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:36 PM
Registered User
Dallas, TX
Joined Oct 2010
42 Posts
a lil worse for wear, but she is back together!

Next stop: paint shop.... then, new power plants/spinners/props.
TX Flyboy is offline Find More Posts by TX Flyboy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:55 PM
Registered User
WestTexasKing's Avatar
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Oh, I see it.
It was at 3:22-3:26.
Hmmmmm.....
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:18 PM
Doushiyou12's Avatar
Joined Feb 2010
1,685 Posts
oh ill keep my eyes out for that one.
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:51 PM
Registered User
Hink64's Avatar
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Flyboy View Post
a lil worse for wear, but she is back together!

Next stop: paint shop.... then, new power plants/spinners/props.
Pretty good TX - was it that bad? It may look even better after the fact.
Hink64 is offline Find More Posts by Hink64
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:55 AM
Captain Coolite
Rob Knox's Avatar
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,798 Posts
P38 Maiden

My Brother has maidened his P 38.
After he flew mine he just HAD to have his own.
Here it is. Pics by Mark C.
Rob Knox is online now Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spektrum Gratton Air-Fair
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Banana Hobby P-51 w/2.4 GHz Tx/Rx cypherpix Electric Warbirds 9 Nov 26, 2008 03:32 PM
For Sale (NEW) F-Model P-38 Cowls Orion Pax Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 13 Oct 30, 2008 07:22 PM
New Product New Phase 3 P-38 = EMI P-38 repackaged? shschon Electric Warbirds 16 Nov 25, 2007 11:57 AM
Discussion New E-flite P-38 pda4you Foamies (Kits) 1 Jan 12, 2007 11:04 PM
New Product New web shop, New product *EMI P-38 Forked Tail Devil * infinityhobby Product Announcements 60 Nov 03, 2006 06:48 PM