SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 29, 2011, 07:49 PM
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
My testpilot Shelterock took it up last night just before dark.
I was surprised how well the larger wheels handled the grass runway which is only "First Cut Rough" quality. I was fully expecting the gear to rip off, but it held.
The split cowlings need stronger/more magnets as well as the gondola hatch.
CoG @ 7cm flies nicely, the setup has adequate power and no complaints from the testpilot about the roll-rate and the 1cm up and down for the elevator.
About 5min of flight for 850mAh, so we should be good for 7-8 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/b6s4shelter
G'day Galand,
Do you have any Expo dialed in through your radio?
I noticed that there seemed to be a fair amount of twitching in the way it was flown.
I have 30% Expo dialed into mine and this takes out any twitch from my thumbs which otherwise would be transmitted to the model.

The battery cover, I just use tape to hold the cover on, but others have suggested a rubber band.

Nice landing gear, held up well to the grass, which was not exactly smooth.
Good work there.

I flew mine again over the weekend, which is totally stock, and throuroughly enjoyed it.

Take it a bit higher and do some BIG loops, it is a real hoot.

Your model looks great mate, so fly it heaps and enjoy it.
Rob
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spektrum Gratton Air-Fair
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 08:32 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Knox View Post
G'day Galand,
Do you have any Expo dialed in through your radio?
I noticed that there seemed to be a fair amount of twitching in the way it was flown.
I have 30% Expo dialed into mine and this takes out any twitch from my thumbs which otherwise would be transmitted to the model.
The battery cover, I just use tape to hold the cover on, but others have suggested a rubber band.
Nice landing gear, held up well to the grass, which was not exactly smooth.
Good work there.
I flew mine again over the weekend, which is totally stock, and throuroughly enjoyed it.
Take it a bit higher and do some BIG loops, it is a real hoot.
Your model looks great mate, so fly it heaps and enjoy it.
Rob
Thanks mate.
No expo for Harold. He says that's cheating, good for the old f*rts like me.
I am indeed pleased that, except for the covers, all the structural stuff held up well, including the removable wingtips of my own design.
With 2x250W the loops should indeed be fun ( with or without expo).
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old May 29, 2011, 10:33 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Here's some more photos for you Pilot40874...
NICE!! My next P38 is going to incorporate some of that...I really like the painted wheel wells and the cockpit details.
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Old May 30, 2011, 09:51 AM
Joined Aug 2003
598 Posts
hi vi has + incidence on stab ,dont have the v2 ,most p38 models do have
that setup though
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas
Old May 30, 2011, 06:39 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,536 Posts
Another P38 here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447651

Aros, I think if I had a foamy that looked that good, I’d be afraid to fly it for fear of damage.

Mdugas, +ve incidence on the stab, ok.
With my wing set at 2 degrees +ve, and zero on the stab, I have mine all wrong.
Setting the wing at zero tilts the back end up giving me negative incidence or up elevator.

Gluing in the rudder “posts” doesn’t allow much leeway.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old May 30, 2011, 06:57 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,536 Posts
incidence

When the rudders are firmly seated with no gap there was zero incidence showing on the stab.

All glue joints and seams are covered with epoxy and 1/2 oz fiber glass cloth.

Three straight pins are left in the rudder post for additional anchoring.

John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old May 30, 2011, 08:08 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
FMS does it again! Dam it, now I have to either sell the house and buy a bigger one for all the models or build a 'garage' to keep them all in...
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old May 30, 2011, 09:05 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
FMS does it again! Dam it, now I have to either sell the house and buy a bigger one for all the models or build a 'garage' to keep them all in...
My thoughts exactly!
The maiden went very well.
Thanks again for the help.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old May 31, 2011, 01:38 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Looks like the FMS needs a lot of work to look right, though it is a rough design.
Nice flaps, but they probably won't make it to production.
Tires need to be a lot bigger and I'm a bit disappointed in the 1400mm wingspan.
Why can't they make the twins the same SCALE as the other 1400mm warbirds, rather than wingspan length?

Unless they do an excellent job with theirs, I think I'll stick with the JPower.
It's already a proven platform with tons of information available, upgrades have been documented, and an extra 65mm wingspan to boot
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old May 31, 2011, 10:40 AM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
Looks like the FMS needs a lot of work to look right, though it is a rough design.
Tires need to be a lot bigger and I'm a bit disappointed in the 1400mm wingspan.
Why can't they make the twins the same SCALE as the other 1400mm warbirds, rather than wingspan length?

Unless they do an excellent job with theirs, I think I'll stick with the JPower.
It's already a proven platform with tons of information available, upgrades have been documented, and an extra 65mm wingspan to boot
I'm finally in the air with my version #1 and it's a real nice flyer. After fixing the ugly gear and adding electric retracts I'm happy with it. Version two looks to be better in several ways and prob. cheaper then the FMS would be. I've had several GWS P-38's and this one looks and flies much better.

Cheers--Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Last edited by stacker; May 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:58 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post

I'm hopeful that they will hear the cries for scale fidelity like they did with the Stuka. I don't see why it won't come with flaps, especially since they already have them worked in to the prototype. As for 1400mm, that is disapointing. I want a larger size with the wings able to come off for transport. My E-flite P-38's were nice little planes, but that's just it...Little.

If they do the gear and dihedral right, I will definitely buy it.
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 12:24 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Well if it's a total flop but does come with flaps, I may have to buy a wing set from them and splice the flap set on a V2 if I ever get around to buying another one.
Maybe even splice the outer wing on if it's detachable.
Kit bashing RTF foamies can be kinda fun, even though they tailor more to the "fly it with that broomstick duct taped on, just get it in the air" crowd rather than the "according to the historical documents this panel line should have had countersunk rivets rather than button head rivets so I have to start over" crowd...
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:25 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,322 Posts
LOL...Now that's funny right there...
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:01 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger on one of these. I was thinking of waiting on the FMS but that could be a long wait and it will easily be over 220 bucks. That and its smaller then this one. I too wanted one a bit larger. Oh, and I am still mourning the loss of my B-17 so I had to replace it sooner then later. I will get another B-17 it just will be an arf so it doesn't hurt so bad. Still waiting on Futaba to tell me my update didn't work on my radio...DUH.

Nothing like a new plane to ease the pain.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Jun 01, 2011, 12:35 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger on one of these. I was thinking of waiting on the FMS but that could be a long wait and it will easily be over 220 bucks. That and its smaller then this one. I too wanted one a bit larger. Oh, and I am still mourning the loss of my B-17 so I had to replace it sooner then later. I will get another B-17 it just will be an arf so it doesn't hurt so bad. Still waiting on Futaba to tell me my update didn't work on my radio...DUH.

Nothing like a new plane to ease the pain.
Lithonion, you and I are on exactly the same page... Interesting timing with the FMS Lightning reveal, but I remember the FMS T-28 reveal about a year ago and we still don't have those here in the USA yet, so I'm thinking this V2 is a safe bet and it will likely be time for an upgrade around the time the FMS Lightning arrives on the scene.

I placed my order for a silver V2 today and I'll start thinking about revisions - I hear the gear doors need a little attention, and I'm troubled with the rudder issues some have reported - Are the booms snapping off due to overstressing the airframe?

Is 4S 2200 out of the question without beefing up the power system? Looks like the amp draw may be a little high...

I owned the V1 once upon a time and loved the way it flew but the landing gear was total trash. I have a nice set of struts that I may be using on the V2 if the stock struts are still garbage.

Any other helpful hints I may have missed while scanning this beast of a thread?
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt