HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2011, 01:22 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Yes the Yellow P-38...I've seen that...Awesome! Unfortunately they don't have an email to ask about pricing (only call or fax)...
I think this is the link to the thread...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61...tm.htm#6161417
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2011, 02:14 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
That's the one but I would need it to be pre-built or pay someone with the time, talent and skill to build it for me...
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2011, 09:03 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
More issues with twin motors and. twin batteries

Received the new bateries to be used for maiden. Running the wattmeter on both booms. Surprise!
Same motors, same ESC's, same batteries freshly charged, same props.
At WOT : Stb motor 30.7A and 361W. Port motor 21.85A and 258W.
Swapped batteries, swapped wattmeters, same difference 40% more on the right!!!
Up to 2/3 throttle both motors are equal then the stb one starts to make a high pitched vibration noise and the V's and W's climb. Can vibration simulate watts?
20-22A and 250W is what I was expecting for those Turnigy 3530C motors with GWS 9x5 3b props.
I am going to dismantle the stb setup tomorrow. Loose bolts?
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Last edited by Galand; May 27, 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:08 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,363 Posts
Have you throttle calibrated both ESCs? Not all can do this, but the Hobbywings can and is definitely recommended. Is the timing set the same on both? Is one prop out of balance? Did you try switching them?
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old May 28, 2011, 02:21 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr998 View Post
Yes, it is a warbird, but it's not a detailed static display model.

To each his own, but how many times do you want to take it up and just 'fly the pattern' and pull off a victory roll and land. For me Ė eventually I have to push the envelope, at least try some sustained inverted flight, hammerheads, and knife edge flight with every plane I get. (Without differential thrust I might draw the line at spins with this P-38)

Some what jokingly I say, if the surface area of the rudder isnít large enough to hold some K/E flight then that sounds like a design flaw (good thing Kelly Johnson isnít around to hear that one!). I think this thing would look great cranking past the flight line on it's side.
Haha, yeah its gets boring just flying around and doing loops and rolls I must admit, which is probably why I havent flown this all that much, but mostly to do with the winds that have been heavy for nearly 6 weeks solid now!
The saving grace for this plane for me is the retracts work on grass so I can take off and land on wheels.
The more planes I get though the more I realize I'm liking the powerd gliders best, searching for thermals is more interesting then just flying around doing stunts. But I will keep this p38 and fly it now and then when the weather permits.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old May 28, 2011, 06:09 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
Have you throttle calibrated both ESCs? Not all can do this, but the Hobbywings can and is definitely recommended. Is the timing set the same on both? Is one prop out of balance? Did you try switching them?
Thanks Lardog. Throttle travel is calibrated and timing is same on both. Will disassemble today and try different props and spinners.
Am still baffled by the Amp difference. Another interesting problem where one risks learning somemthing new!
Old May 28, 2011, 07:51 AM
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
Hi Galand,

The vibration on the starboard motor is placing an extra load on it. With that increased load the ESC needs to draw more power to keep the motor at the same speed. That is why you're seeing current and power increase.

Does anyone know if HK is going to be carrying this new version from J-Power?

Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Old May 28, 2011, 09:30 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler901 View Post
Hi Galand,

The vibration on the starboard motor is placing an extra load on it. With that increased load the ESC needs to draw more power to keep the motor at the same speed. That is why you're seeing current and power increase.

Todd
Thanks, ofcourse something has to supply the energy required for the vibration and the noise.
Old May 28, 2011, 01:39 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
You'd be surprised at just how much power is consumed when a detrimental vibration is introduced into a mechanical system...whether it be props, motors, engines, drivetrains, etc., it all robs power.
The smoother and more dynamically balanced both the motor and prop is, the more efficient your setup becomes.
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old May 28, 2011, 02:40 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
You'd be surprised at just how much power is consumed when a detrimental vibration is introduced into a mechanical system...whether it be props, motors, engines, drivetrains, etc., it all robs power.
The smoother and more dynamically balanced both the motor and prop is, the more efficient your setup becomes.
You're right, it did surprise me when I found the cause.
On the stb side I had added two washers on the shaft to space the propeller away from the cowling and their ID was 1/4" instead of 6mm like the shaft, so they ended up excentric. Taking them off eliminated the vibration and reduced the amps back to normal.
A bit of extra torque on the stb motor fixation bolts probably did not hurt either.
It is indeed surprising for such a small difference to have such a big effect.
AUW incl 2x1550 3S is 1744g and CG is @ 7cm from LE.
I am putting the steering servo on Ch8, controlled by pot Hov THR knob. The trick will be to center it after take-off and leave it there until needed at taxi time. Anyone know a "self-centering" trick? Dropping the nose with the wheel pointing south could be funny!
If the wind drops we'll maiden it this evening.
Old May 28, 2011, 05:35 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,469 Posts
What are you setting the stab incidence relative to the wing?

I checked the incidence on my P38. With the wing reading about 1.5 to 2 degrees positive, and the stab set at zero, the prop is showing about 5 degrees down thrust. Depending on whether or not the rudders are aligned and jigged up before gluing, the stab could end up several degrees either way. The “instructions” that came with the P38 from BH say nothing.
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old May 28, 2011, 06:08 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Here's some more photos for you Pilot40874...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 06:26 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,469 Posts
Aros, great looking P38. What paint did you use? How much extra weight did it gain? How much slower is the landing with the flaps down? Looks as good as the real thing, which, if you had it sitting on the runway, I’d have guessed it was real.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old May 29, 2011, 11:46 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Hi John, I'm sorry I gave you the wrong impression. If you go back a page or two you will see the first post about this plane. It's actually a highly detailed static display model, the wing is only about 18". Man do I ever wish I had a foamy that looked this good!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 05:22 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Good Maiden

My testpilot Shelterock took it up last night just before dark.
I was surprised how well the larger wheels handled the grass runway which is only "First Cut Rough" quality. I was fully expecting the gear to rip off, but it held.
The split cowlings need stronger/more magnets as well as the gondola hatch.
CoG @ 7cm flies nicely, the setup has adequate power and no complaints from the testpilot about the roll-rate and the 1cm up and down for the elevator.
About 5min of flight for 850mAh, so we should be good for 7-8 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/b6s4shelter