HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2011, 03:29 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr998 View Post
Does this thing have enough rudder authority (when they stay on) to fly a knife edge pattern??
Mine never had enough rudder authority to hold sustained KE flight.
When I went to differential thrust, it had the yaw capabilities of literally doing a KE loop, as it would continue nosing up until it broke over 90 deg and turned into a spin.
However, even with all of the added yaw capability, it still would not sustain altitude during true KE flight.
Closest I could get was about 75 deg bank (estimated, of course) into a true 90 deg bank knife edge and sustain altitude.
I just don't think there's enough surface area across the body to provide enough lift...at least, not at my elevation in a stock configuration anyway.
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2011, 04:26 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
Mine never had enough rudder authority to hold sustained KE flight.
When I went to differential thrust, it had the yaw capabilities of literally doing a KE loop, as it would continue nosing up until it broke over 90 deg and turned into a spin.
However, even with all of the added yaw capability, it still would not sustain altitude during true KE flight.
Closest I could get was about 75 deg bank (estimated, of course) into a true 90 deg bank knife edge and sustain altitude.
I just don't think there's enough surface area across the body to provide enough lift...at least, not at my elevation in a stock configuration anyway.
knife edge is not what this plane is about, there is no real fuselarge and so nothing to catch the air and provide lift, its a war bird not a 3d ship, fly it scale like its supposed to and it looks great, if u want to knife edge get another plane out.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old May 26, 2011, 04:45 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Wow, ok, I was just answering another member's question
Not that I had any intention of turning it into a 3D bird, but it's always good to know what your machine is capable of, and as I stated in the previous post I agree about the lack of surface area on the fuselage.

Tell me, though, you think those 19 year old kids flying unsupervised in 3,000+HP warbirds were always flying "scale"?
I bet they attempted every aerobatic maneuver humanly possible when nobody was looking
Old May 26, 2011, 05:10 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
Tell me, though, you think those 19 year old kids flying unsupervised in 3,000+HP warbirds were always flying "scale"?
I bet they attempted every aerobatic maneuver humanly possible when nobody was looking
You think they still don't do that? According to some of the stories my Dad tells of when he was in the USAF during Viet Nam, I'm sure the limits will always be tested. It's just the nature of the kind of guys that become "Fighter Jocks".
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old May 26, 2011, 06:40 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
If anyone needs a replacemenrt stock power system. I have one up for sale. Never flown.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...48&postcount=1
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 09:28 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
740 Posts
V1 vs. V2 questions....

Started looking through the whole thread again, but couldn't find the answer to my question.

Did we ever get a definitive answer as to whether or not the V2 is actually a different scale airplane (i.e., bigger) than the V1. The reason I ask is that BH advertises the V2 as 1465mm or 57.67" wingspan. Whereas I think the original V1 was 1400mm or 55.11 wingspan".

Yet seemingly, all of the fuselage and spare parts that are available form BH look to be identical to the V1.

I know the V2 has the wing-spar, new motors and motor mounts, and slightly better retracts, but is there really a difference in the size of the airplane, or did they just measure the wing differently because of the new spar feature? I'm wondering if where the wings join includes some sort of a different geometry that was measured as part of the wingspan, when in fact, it interlocks with the other wing, to produce exactly the same wingspan as the V1 once the plane is fully assembled.

Just curious. Can't believe somebody would trash all of the original tooling just to make the new v2 plane 95.5% exactly the same size. And then again, maybe the ONLY part of the plane that IS a slightly different scale is the wing, and the rest of the plane is exactly the same size.

Can somebody that has both planes confirm this with actual measurements?
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Last edited by pilot40874; May 26, 2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:38 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
I thought I would share with my fellow P-38-philes this awesome work of art someone built for me. The photos do not do it justice one bit but it really is amazing! I purchased this model (I forget the name, it was a Japanese company) at my LHS. It was $150 bucks! No wonder nobody was buying it. Finally I said if someone could build it for me, I would buy it. Turns out one of the guys who works there loves to build model planes, especially warbirds. He gave me a good deal on the kit. Two months, over 500 parts and 25+ hours of labor later, I got to pick it up today. I need an RC version!

P-38L, 49th FG, 8th FS, "Itsy Bitsy II".

Description : MAJ George Laven, Jr. of the 8th Squadron flew this P-38L-5-LO on his train busting missions.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aros; May 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:43 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I thought I would share with my fellow P-38-philes this awesome work of art someone built for me. The photos do not do it justice one bit but it really is amazing! I purchased this model (I forget the name, it was a Japanese company) at my LHS. It was $150 bucks! No wonder nobody was buying it. Finally I said if someone could build it for me, I would buy it. Turns out one of the guys who works there loves to build model planes, especially warbirds. He gave me a good deal on the kit. Two months, over 500 parts and 25+ hours of labor later, I got to pick it up today. I need an RC version!

Description : MAJ George Laven, Jr. of the 8th Squadron flew this P-38L-5-LO on his train busting missions.

That is gorgeous! I wish I had the patience and ability to do that kind of work. Would be fun to try and transform one of these nice semi-scale large foamies into a work of art like that.

I found some pictures in one of the other threads where a german guy did that to his B-25. Just amazing work...here are some of the photos of his realistic weathering work:

CAN YOU BELIEVE THE DETAILS?!!!
Last edited by pilot40874; May 27, 2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:11 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Man that B-25 does look sweet with that weathering and detail!

The guy who built my model P-38 was bummed because he wanted to be able to show all the parts and detail that went into everything you don't see. He didn't want to cut away too much of the model just to show detail and I agreed. He was even shocked at the amount of detail the manufacturer put into even the hidden internal elements.

I'll take some better daylight shots of it.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2011, 12:27 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
740 Posts
Quote:
Man that B-25 does look sweet with that weathering and detail!

The guy who built my model P-38 was bummed because he wanted to be able to show all the parts and detail that went into everything you don't see. He didn't want to cut away too much of the model just to show detail and I agreed. He was even shocked at the amount of detail the manufacturer put into even the hidden internal elements.

I'll take some better daylight shots of it.

Please do. Maybe somebody will get inspired and try and do something like that with the Banana Hobby P-38. Man I'd pay somebody to do that to mine! ....I'd be deathly afraid to fly it though!
Old May 27, 2011, 01:13 AM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Dec 2010
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpare View Post
Ouch! Bummer.
I actually did break the right rudder, too - but it stayed on. I didn't even find the break until I "landed" .

BlitzRCWorks P-38 Maiden (3 min 36 sec)
gwidgery is offline Find More Posts by gwidgery
Last edited by gwidgery; May 27, 2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old May 27, 2011, 02:55 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Pilot, according to what I've read, the V2 isn't the same model as the V1.
The V1 was built by JPower, but the molds and such were basically stolen and another company was building it.
JPower decided to start over with a new P38 entirely, keeping the same basic measurements scaled up just a tiny bit with better quality components like servoless retracts, so technically it isn't an updated version of the existing P38 at all.
In other words, none of the airframe components should be interchangeable, and the visual differences are enough proof that it's a new mold.
Smaller parts like the landing gear, gear doors, cockpit, cowlings, drop tanks, etc. might be a directly interchangeable but it's hard to say without having owned one myself.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:32 AM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Dec 2009
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
knife edge is not what this plane is about, there is no real fuselarge and so nothing to catch the air and provide lift, its a war bird not a 3d ship, fly it scale like its supposed to and it looks great, if u want to knife edge get another plane out.

Yes, it is a warbird, but it's not a detailed static display model.

To each his own, but how many times do you want to take it up and just 'fly the pattern' and pull off a victory roll and land. For me Ė eventually I have to push the envelope, at least try some sustained inverted flight, hammerheads, and knife edge flight with every plane I get. (Without differential thrust I might draw the line at spins with this P-38)

Some what jokingly I say, if the surface area of the rudder isnít large enough to hold some K/E flight then that sounds like a design flaw (good thing Kelly Johnson isnít around to hear that one!). I think this thing would look great cranking past the flight line on it's side.
cbr998 is offline Find More Posts by cbr998
Old May 27, 2011, 11:46 AM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:

You have to look on RCUniverse for the yellow p-38 build. That model is as real as this model but it flies and has an 8 or 9 ft wingspan... if I find the link I will send it over.
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old May 27, 2011, 02:11 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Yes the Yellow P-38...I've seen that...Awesome! Unfortunately they don't have an email to ask about pricing (only call or fax)...
RCG Plus Member