SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2011, 03:06 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot40874 View Post
Galand, are those the stock spinners and backplates? My spinner backplate holes have stripped and they just spin on the V1 threaded motor shaft, which causes the props not to be driven. I need to find another option than the standard spinners for 3 blade props and havin't found anything yet.

Please let me know where you found yours.

Thanks
No, not stock. The threaded GWS style shafts like you have with the small nuts are a nuisance.
These Turnigy motors have 6mm shaft adapters that screw onto the can and the fixation of the motor to the booms is different from stock (see below).
The spinners are Dubro:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE154&P=K
A bit heavy but with the batteries in the booms I need some weight upfront anyway.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2011, 03:08 PM
United States, CA, Carmel Valley
Joined Nov 2010
274 Posts
One way to turn off nose steering

With my trusty Spektrum Dx6i: nosegear steering lead in Aux 1, rudder is master, Aux 1 (Flaps) is slave, use Aux 1 switch.
Thusly: when on the ground both gear and Aux 1 switch are away from me and I have steering. During climbout, both switches come towards me and gear goes up, no signal to nosegear steering servo.
Best I can do on short notice.
edpare is offline Find More Posts by edpare
Old May 19, 2011, 03:09 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,425 Posts
You can use the stock spinners with this setup as well. Just ream out the center hole on the back plate to 6mm or 1/4", whatever is necessary. No need to purchase new spinners unless you want to go 2-blade.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old May 19, 2011, 08:27 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpare View Post
With my trusty Spektrum Dx6i: nosegear steering lead in Aux 1, rudder is master, Aux 1 (Flaps) is slave, use Aux 1 switch.
Thusly: when on the ground both gear and Aux 1 switch are away from me and I have steering. During climbout, both switches come towards me and gear goes up, no signal to nosegear steering servo.
Best I can do on short notice.
This should also work on the FlySky 9Ch but it is still short of a single switch for Gear Up and No Steering.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old May 19, 2011, 09:03 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Maybe hard wire the two switches together LOL
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old May 19, 2011, 09:38 PM
Joined Nov 2010
274 Posts
Vertical V2!

Completely stock: got everything together, balanced props and backplates. I held it in vertical orientation while my wife advanced the throttle - started leaving my hands at 3/4 throttle, needed restraint at full throttle.

I'm satisfied.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:35 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,628 Posts
I tried my old HK version on 4S today and you guys weren't kidding. Much faster and flies like I like to fly which is scale at half throttle as opposed to 3/4 to full. Cruised around for ~6 minutes with two full speed passes and only took out about 1000 mah out of the 2200 battery. Love it!

Thanks to the pioneers that tested this out for us.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old May 20, 2011, 03:04 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
This should also work on the FlySky 9Ch but it is still short of a single switch for Gear Up and No Steering.
Thanks for the suggestion.
why not just use gear switch for turning mix on off? thats what I have done, only one switch then.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old May 20, 2011, 11:12 AM
Joined Nov 2010
274 Posts
V2 almost airborne

With the 2600 battery positioned up to the front of the battery bay, my COG is 75mm. (Anybody else notice the serendipitally placed COG marks on the wing root? Nice.)
AUW is 54 oz which works out to 10 oz/sq ft - exactly what the instruction manual stated. This thing ought to float! IF it actually has 772 sq inches of wing area - which I really doubt because the wing looks just like that of my Dynam C-47 which only has a wing area of 381 square inches. If that is really the case, it will still fly much slower than a normal warbird - but it won't float.
Has anyone measured control surface throws? Eyeballing them, I am going to cut them down 50% with 50% expo for the first flight(s).
Does this sound about right?
Old May 20, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Nov 2010
274 Posts
Back to counter-rotating props?

I remember this has come up many times, but, after noticing the motor mount in the left pod is not angled down and to the right like the mount in the right pod, I am considering changing the motor rotation and installing counter-rotating props. I noticed in the vertical test that there was a bunch of pull clockwise and to the right (counter intuitive) and wondered if the Master Airscrew pusher prop would do the trick?
Old May 20, 2011, 11:26 AM
Joined Nov 2010
274 Posts
You were right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
why not just use gear switch for turning mix on off? thats what I have done, only one switch then.
Nigel, thanks for that - it works with one switch and I feel really stupid for not thinking of that myself!
That's what I like about a good forum - great ideas!
Old May 20, 2011, 11:52 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Mysterious power issue!

Have an interesting problem with the P38 power setup.
My electric setup is as follows:
One battery and one ESC in each boom. Both ESC receiver connections join up thru a Y lead into the Dimension Engineering SmartBec (UBEC) which is itself plugged into Ch3 of the receiver . The SmartBec is powered off the starboard battery balance plug..
Until now I have always run one boom/motor/esc at the time. The wattmeter the motors call for 20.6 A at WOT and the batteries are 3S1P 1800mAh 15C so they are good for 27A and the ESC’s are 30A.
Today for the first time, I ran both booms simultaneously at WOT. There was a distinct rpm fluctuation at full throttle (like a varying amps supply). I could not hear if it was both motors or only one of them doing it. So I disconnected the port battery (the one that does not feed the SmartBec) expecting that that would disable that motor and allow further diagnosis, one motor at the time.
Then big surprise! When feeding in throttle stick, both motors spin up!
The only link between the booms is the Y lead thru the UBEC. How does this feed power from the battery on one side to the motor on the other side? Also the gauge of the UBEC wires is way too small for 20A’s. Sound dangerous to me!
When only connecting the UBEC to the battery, all the servos work but the motors do not spin. So clearly the feed passes tru the ESC’s.
I suspect that the rpm fluctuations are linked to the “cross-feed”.
I need some help!
Old May 20, 2011, 11:58 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Should work indeed! Will try later, right now I need to solve my power riddle!
Thanks
Old May 20, 2011, 12:25 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
Have an interesting problem with the P38 power setup.
My electric setup is as follows:
One battery and one ESC in each boom. Both ESC receiver connections join up thru a Y lead into the Dimension Engineering SmartBec (UBEC) which is itself plugged into Ch3 of the receiver . The SmartBec is powered off the starboard battery balance plug..
Until now I have always run one boom/motor/esc at the time. The wattmeter the motors call for 20.6 A at WOT and the batteries are 3S1P 1800mAh 15C so they are good for 27A and the ESC’s are 30A.
Today for the first time, I ran both booms simultaneously at WOT. There was a distinct rpm fluctuation at full throttle (like a varying amps supply). I could not hear if it was both motors or only one of them doing it. So I disconnected the port battery (the one that does not feed the SmartBec) expecting that that would disable that motor and allow further diagnosis, one motor at the time.
Then big surprise! When feeding in throttle stick, both motors spin up!
The only link between the booms is the Y lead thru the UBEC. How does this feed power from the battery on one side to the motor on the other side? Also the gauge of the UBEC wires is way too small for 20A’s. Sound dangerous to me!
When only connecting the UBEC to the battery, all the servos work but the motors do not spin. So clearly the feed passes tru the ESC’s.
I suspect that the rpm fluctuations are linked to the “cross-feed”.
I need some help!
This is another reason for always disconnecting the ESC power leads in the Y-cable. It is the common power line between them, the batteries and the ubec. That would mean you are feeding battery level voltage back to the ESC power supply output and there must be a reverse polarity diode across the in-out puts allowing current to flow into the Main body of the ESC electronics. This allows the 'unpowered' motor to run.
Dangaras is online now Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old May 20, 2011, 01:10 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
SmartBec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
This is another reason for always disconnecting the ESC power leads in the Y-cable. It is the common power line between them, the batteries and the ubec. That would mean you are feeding battery level voltage back to the ESC power supply output and there must be a reverse polarity diode across the in-out puts allowing current to flow into the Main body of the ESC electronics. This allows the 'unpowered' motor to run.
Disabling the red lead on the ESC plug is indeed what you do when installing a normal UBEC.
But this is a "SmartBec" (pun intended).
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/SmartBEC.htm
From it's documentation:
"The SmartBEC installs between your ESC and receiver, so you don't have to modify your speed control to disable its internal BEC, just plug it in. SmartBEC works by modifying the throttle commands sent to the ESC, so if the ESC has low voltage cutoff settings, they will still be active. Whichever LVC occurs first (ESC or SmartBEC) will take precedence"
This thing combines UBEC powerfeed and ESC throttle commands in the same plug. I liked it because it has a LVC that I can set above the LVC in the ESC's to prevent asymmetric motor shut-down.
So disconnecting the red lead will stop all power to the Rx, but thanks for trying to help.