SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:17 AM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
Dang it. I was planning on getting the new 57" Hobby Lobby P-51, but after seeing this I'm not sure if this P-38 will be my next plane. Hmmm.... Great looking plane.

It also looks like those retracts hold up pretty good in the video. The plane looked to come down a little hard and they didn't collapse. Good to see.
Dwhart24 is offline Find More Posts by Dwhart24
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:44 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,749 Posts
Well, my usual flying vehicle used to be a Nissan Murano. It recently became a Toyota FJ. BUT, the better half needed it yesterday so I had to fall back to flying vehicle #2. It is a 1979 BMW 320i. :EEK: The P-38 DID go in the back seat but it was tricky. So tricky I almost couldn't figure how to get it back out when I got to the field. Or how to get it back in for the trip home.

I took two planes flying yesterday afternoon. The other was the JPower A-10. It fit in the trunk of said car, mainly because the wing is removable.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bajora; Dec 06, 2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: corrected vehicle year
Old Dec 06, 2009, 11:16 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
OK. well I have a minivan. I have to insert one wing tip at a time to get in my E-Flight P-38 in the back to this should be relatively the same. I just have to go measure the width inside the back and make sure I won't have issue with the interior panels. I don't think the length of the plane is going to cause an issue with the hatch shutting.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Dec 06, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR View Post
The P-38 DID go in the back seat but it was tricky. So tricky I almost couldn't figure how to get it back out when I got to the field. Or how to get it back in for the trip home.
Let me Fly it, then you could bring it home in a dixi cup!
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Dec 06, 2009, 12:33 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Is vermilion considered Red Tommy? You could do the 10,000th P-38 "YIPPEE"
(sorry I can't help it)
MERLIN)
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Dec 06, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
Is vermilion considered Red Tommy? You could do the 10,000th P-38 "YIPPEE"
(sorry I can't help it)
MERLIN)
Vermillion is VERY Red.

My GT is Vermillion
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Dec 06, 2009, 01:32 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
D:d:d:d
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Dec 06, 2009, 01:33 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,477 Posts
Tommy...very nice GT...shaker hood no-less !!! I wonder if we ever met at a cruise event ???
Ever go to Captree sunday mornings ??
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Dec 06, 2009, 05:54 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
It is really too bad the wings do not remove on this plane. My Saturn Aura is pretty roomy so it should have ample room for the P-38 (or so I keep telling myself.), but my other car (summer car) may prove to be problematic in transporting this plane around. I guess I''ll soon find out for sure.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy D
Vermillion is VERY Red.

My GT is Vermillion
Tommy, very nice car. I like your taste in cars and taste in color.
Speaking of cars and the color red, how about this? My 1990 BMW Alpina B10 3.5 in Brilliant Red. #349 of 572

Orvis is offline Find More Posts by Orvis
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:11 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,453 Posts
Back on track for the thread, the model is just a nice size and looks very well done. I was all set to buy one until I saw the wheels and landing gear. They look tiny in comparison with what they should be. Is there any chance of getting correct size wheels installed is you cut away some foam?
Anyone had similar thoughts?
I suppose I can stick to my hand launch/belly landings on grass and forget the gear.

Ivor
fuelsguy is offline Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:43 PM
Joined Jul 2009
109 Posts
Hmmm... Mine is a '73 2002. Think she'll fit there?
rtheriaque is offline Find More Posts by rtheriaque
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:56 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelsguy View Post
Back on track for the thread, the model is just a nice size and looks very well done. I was all set to buy one until I saw the wheels and landing gear. They look tiny in comparison with what they should be. Is there any chance of getting correct size wheels installed is you cut away some foam?
Anyone had similar thoughts?
I suppose I can stick to my hand launch/belly landings on grass and forget the gear.

Ivor
It can be done, but looking at Jon's earlier photo of the undercarriage, not with the stock retracts. Because of how the retract servos are positioned it would be very difficult to make room for larger tires. Maybe replace them with a set of small scale air retracts or maybe E-Flite's new mechanical retracts.
Personally, this will not stop me from buying this plane. I fly from a grass field the majority of the time, so it will be coming in wheels up until I replace the retracts with something a little more robust and scale.

Quote:
Originally posted by rtheriaque
Hmmm... Mine is a '73 2002. Think she'll fit there?
Sweet!! a 2002!! Is it a TI? I've always loved those cars. A milestone for BMW at the time.
Orvis is offline Find More Posts by Orvis
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:58 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,749 Posts
OK, now see what you guys have started here?! DON'T get me started talking about old BMWs.

Here is my current ride, the one I mentioned a few posts up that got us so far off topic.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best in the West 2014
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:04 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,453 Posts
Orvis, thanks for the thoughts, yes I'm a grass landing flier too, (or is it crash landing flier?) so I probably get this one for grass ops. At least it fits my car, not a BMW but Subaru WRX. I ended up drawing a plan of the trunk/boot area so I can check a fit before I start to build or buy a model. It does help sort out options

Ivor
fuelsguy is offline Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:05 PM
Joined Jul 2009
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvis View Post
Sweet!! a 2002!! Is it a TI?
I could only wish for a Ti or a Tii. This was a junkyard rescue. She's my baby now, though... The PZ P-51BL fits, and I can squeeze in a Freewing Hellcat. The Micro planes are no problem. The Corsair is a trick, though, that requires a little faith on the ride. The E-Flite P-38 is a solid "no," however, and I'm guessing our upcoming Banana Hobby offering will be more of the same.
rtheriaque is offline Find More Posts by rtheriaque