HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:51 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
I'm reading and I'm up to post #614 so far. Lots about Banana Hobby and not much about the model.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2010, 02:41 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Boys, up until now this model hasn't been available over our side of the pond. If you wanted to pay ridiculous shipping you could have had one but its just not worth it. Now my friends at Aerial Hobby will be getting it in and I'm excited. I know it's old news to you guys Stateside but with the demise of my GWS P-38 (man I loved that plane) I will seriously look at this one.
Questions to the people who have built and flown this model.
What are the main issues to look out for?
Also, I'm guessing the stock gear is rubbish, so what are you using as a good replacement motrs, ESC etc.
I will go through the thread but will need time.
Take a look at the RCCanada forum to see how interesting it can get.

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...t=Blitzrcworks
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:17 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Wow! Thats interesting alright. 2 failures.Maybe this particular manfacturer doesn't realise thet EPO needs very different glue from EPS. I've used epoxy with EPO with no probs so far. What everyone used on this model? Not so sure about it anymore unless I get it cheap then I dont mind sorting the issues. Bare airframe would be even better.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:42 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
That's what I have. Get the airframe and put in your favorite electronics. The retracts can be made to work but a few have gone to the belly lander side of things. Me personally I am putting E-Flights retracts in and have a nice scale look going with scale wheels. Can't wait till I get it all together and ready for maiden. However, that is still a couple of weeks out.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:26 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
793 Posts
Rx location

I've been eyeballing this P38 for a couple weeks now and just had a quick question, where does the stock receiver sit in this plane? I'm assuming it sits right under the canopy but is it easily accessable? Is there any slack on the wires at all or is it pretty snug?
I'd like to use my own spektrum and dx7 but am just trying to get a feel on where everything sits inside...

Many thanks
JazzboneCuit
JazzboneCuit is offline Find More Posts by JazzboneCuit
Old Jul 12, 2010, 08:02 AM
Goodyear, AZ.
Joined Dec 2005
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzboneCuit View Post
I've been eyeballing this P38 for a couple weeks now and just had a quick question, where does the stock receiver sit in this plane? I'm assuming it sits right under the canopy but is it easily accessable? Is there any slack on the wires at all or is it pretty snug?
I'd like to use my own spektrum and dx7 but am just trying to get a feel on where everything sits inside...

Many thanks
JazzboneCuit
Receiver sits under the canopy... regarding slack on the wires... I guess the answer is - it depends on how you build it. If you are careful, there is enough wire to position it properly in the build so you can have the lengths at the desired location. If the builder did not pay attention in the build I could see that there is a possibilty that it could be short. I built mine making sure I had enough in the desired location. The instructions did not help in wire positioning. It also crossed my mind to build it using 2 receivers which will eliminate some of the wiring but not all. I went with one receiver route. I agree with the others in here, there was a lot of wires and I took my time in thinking on how to put the thing together. There is no single way of doing it. I just figured what the best way for me.

I hope this helps

LW
lw777pilot is offline Find More Posts by lw777pilot
Old Jul 12, 2010, 08:31 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,831 Posts
mines gonna do some photo-recon
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jul 12, 2010, 08:51 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Pretty cool looking piece there Art. I love a modular setup. I am still waiting to see someone strap one of these to a bomb drop and let it ride down.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:58 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,831 Posts
yea, the plane isn't modified in any way... should be fun!
Old Jul 12, 2010, 06:17 PM
add lightness
Big time Minneapolis, Good Ol' St Paul
Joined Oct 2007
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
mines gonna do some photo-recon
nice. if you put one on each side it will look like the recon P-38 (like the e-flite P-38)

btw, this is NOT my P-38. just a photo I found showing the e-flite with the recon cameras mounted on the side.
PositivelyJoe is offline Find More Posts by PositivelyJoe
Last edited by PositivelyJoe; Jul 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 06:43 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
yea, the plane isn't modified in any way... should be fun!
I'm not gonna lie, mine is heavily modified LOL!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:55 AM
add lightness
Big time Minneapolis, Good Ol' St Paul
Joined Oct 2007
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
I'm not gonna lie, mine is heavily modified LOL!
Cool, what mods did you do?
PositivelyJoe is offline Find More Posts by PositivelyJoe
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
AM doing is the current term. I am doing scale retracts and gear doors, nav lights and fowler flaps. I finished fiberglassing the nose door last night since it starts off thin and then gets wide at the back. It needed some strength and tonight I hope to get it all smoothed out. The mains doors won't need that treatment because they stay the same size. I am hoping to finish the nose door tonight and get it all functional so I can move on to the mains and flaps tomorrow and over the weekend. Here is a little preview video I did for my friend since I am building his in tandem with mine. What you see in the video has been completely redone. Wasn't happy with how it looked and did it a different and better way.

Scale Doors prototype on J-Power P-38 (0 min 58 sec)
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:32 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,831 Posts
first recon mission last night. nasty crosswind.
P-38 nose-cam (6 min 22 sec)
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:39 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I can't believe I still haven't gotten myself one of these cameras.

Looked like a good flight.