HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:38 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,859 Posts
I used blue loctite. Let it dry before coming in contact with the plastic parts.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:50 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
I put triple nuts behind the prop so there was no space for the one driving the prop to back up. I also put the E-Flite retracts in and they are working great. I have not finished the gear doors yet.

Kasra
kasra is offline Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kasra; Jun 25, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:17 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
Thanks Terry, I actually did precisely the same thing and it still happened. That's why I was so surprised. Plus now the entire mount rotates easily if I grab the spinner and try to jiggle it around on it's axis. Perplexed.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:14 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
I used blue loctite. Let it dry before coming in contact with the plastic parts.
I learned about this the hard way. Locktite eats plastic.

Todd,
I still think yours is the best looking P-38 I've seen. I really like the paint job you did on it. Even though you didn't change the scheme, it looks so much better than stock. Nice looking lawntoo, BTW.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:31 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
Thank you Lardog! I take pride in my detailing...Especially since I am not very technically or craftsmanship-gifted like many here, it's the one thing I do enjoy (besides flying of course).

My lack of technical knowledge (both electrically and from a builder's perspective) is what it is but detailing is where I try to make up for that. So I thank you and anyone who appreciates the time I do take to make mine look a shade or three better than stock.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:24 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Hey Todd, I noticed that the paint on this plane is like egg shell. It just chips away and flakes off like a hard boiled egg. Did you strip yours completely down and start over or did you just paint over the blemishes? If you did paint over them, was there any trouble with the paint lifting on it?
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:30 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
Hey Orion- I just painted over the surface (sanding down any areas that were peeling first) using flat paint.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:47 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Thanks Todd.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:45 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,378 Posts
FYI,

Callie graphics has a California Cutie decal set, however, it is intended for a smaller size model than this one. I emailed them and they said they could scale it up for this plane for $25. I think I may do that and re-paint mine as well, since the stock paint job is so bad.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:35 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,249 Posts
So I was right a while back when I went after BH tech support about the crappy paint job...

Got my new airframe last Friday and it came with everything except radio and servos. It looks like the box came from China and got passed directly through the me. Everything is in the broken down state.

I have some serious building to do...

Todd,

that back plate issue, I use those self-locking nuts with the nylon insert. Two of them back to back will prevent anything from coming loose. If you are still worried stick an anti vibration washer, they have the teeth on the inside, in between the two self-locking nuts and that will take care of the spinning.
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:05 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,859 Posts
I suppose you could cut a length of brass/aluminum tubing and use it for a spacer between the motor and nut.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:39 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
So I was right a while back when I went after BH tech support about the crappy paint job...

Got my new airframe last Friday and it came with everything except radio and servos. It looks like the box came from China and got passed directly through the me. Everything is in the broken down state.

I have some serious building to do...

Todd,

that back plate issue, I use those self-locking nuts with the nylon insert. Two of them back to back will prevent anything from coming loose. If you are still worried stick an anti vibration washer, they have the teeth on the inside, in between the two self-locking nuts and that will take care of the spinning.
I ordered 2 green ones that got in last week. One was fine, one had similar issues. I call BH and they will be sending replacement but it will have to be the silver one. We'll see how that goes...
eroeder is online now Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:45 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
For the shaft nuts, you are supposed to tighten them together. if you do, they will hold just fine. The backplate has a recess that the nuts will fit into. The problem is that the recess is only as deep as about 1 1/2 nut widths. If the nuts do not line up togther when tightened, only one will fit into this recess. When this happens, the whole backplae/spinner/prop assembly will wobble. What you should do is to get the nuts as close to tight as you can, while ensuring they line up with each other. Then, use threadlocker or CA to hold them in place. Then, the backplate can slide over both nuts together and will fit right. When you then tighten the prop on, it should hold everything in place just fine.

Of course, if you do a motor upgrade like I did, you won't have this problem anymore.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:40 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,852 Posts
Eflite Retracts

I got my eflite retracts installed today, too windy to fly I used the stock upper mounts and drilled the eflite units to match the hole pattern. Put a plywood brace under the nose wheel bracket. It sits 1" higher than stock with the stock wheels. No doors yet, but I have a plan.
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Jun 30, 2010, 04:56 PM
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,253 Posts
Gohmer,

Let me know about them doors - I lost the nose gear door a couple flights ago and had to make one out of insulation board - worked pretty good and fits tight. How do you like them E-Flights - lot more solid than the DCR's.
Hink64 is offline Find More Posts by Hink64