HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2009, 04:50 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Rant
OK DIYers, Have you tried fixing a tube/tire lately?

For the last year or so fixing an inner tube with the rubber cement included in tire patching kits has been a waste of time. The included glue in kits from NAPA do not include a vulcanizing glue so what you get is about the same stuff that kids use to paste paper flowers into construction paper. Even Tractor Supply sells rubber cement instead of vulcanizing glue!
Where can I get the good stuff?
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:05 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
Are you talking about bike inner tubes?
If so why haven't you gotten the plastic liners that go in between the the tire and tube?
I remember when I first got a job and and was biking to work, I got a flat at least once a week.
I got the liners and no more flats, haven't had one since.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:08 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
The gov't is afraid you'll sniff the glue to get high. Another example of controll. They want you to buy another tube. I also haven't found any good tire glue for a long time.
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:10 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega blood
Are you talking about bike inner tubes?
If so why haven't you gotten the plastic liners that go in between the the tire and tube?
I remember when I first got a job and and was biking to work, I got a flat at least once a week.
I got the liners and no more flats, haven't had one since.

Please explain more. I'd like to try this. Is it only for certain type tires?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:11 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
A new tube is about the same price as a tire repair kit around here.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:13 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j. marquis
The gov't is afraid you'll sniff the glue to get high. Another example of controll. They want you to buy another tube. I also haven't found any good tire glue for a long time.
When I do find some I'll send a sample to you.
Right now it's a lawnmower tire but I keep some plugs and such on the motorcycle for emergencies. Some if the girlie glue even says extremely flammable. I fell for that one and thought I had the real McCoy. NOT.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:30 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
I used to guide bicycle tours and have done hundreds of patch jobs.
The best tube patch kits are made by the French company Velux. The patches have nice feathered edges and the cement is top quality.
I added one of those mini Bic lighters to the kit.

1. Find the leak. On the road I would slightly over inflate the tube, lick my lips and slowly move the tube past them. You can feel the jet of air from the leak pretty well.
2. Rough up the area that will be covered by the patch with the scuffer provided in the kit. First in one direction then at 90 degrees to the first.
3. Peel the backing off of the patch and have it at the ready.
4. Apply a nice coat of cement to an area slightly larger than that the patch will cover.
5. Quickly ignite the cement with the lighter.
6. The moment the cement is not burning, apply the patch. Hold it firmly in place until it cools.

This is now the strongest part of tube and I have never had a patch applied this way fail even using cheaper kits.

Almost forgot the one thing that trips people up most often.
WITH GREAT CARE inspect the inside of the tire for the cause of the leak. If possible, turn the tire inside out to do this.
No sense fixing a flat and then just getting another one from the same issue.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:34 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira
The best tube patch kits are made by the French company Velux. The patches have nice feathered edges and the cement is top quality.

1. Find the leak. On the road I would slightly over inflate the tube, lick my lips and slowly move the tube past them. You can feel the jet of air from the leak pretty well.
2. Rough up the area that will be covered by the patch with the scuffer provided in the kit. First in one direction then at 90 degrees to the first.
4. Apply a nice coat of cement to an area slightly larger than that the patch will cover.
6. The moment the cement is not burning, apply the patch. Hold it firmly in place until it cools.

This is now the strongest part of tube and I have never had a patch applied this way fail even using cheaper kits.

WITH GREAT CARE inspect the inside of the tire for the cause of the leak. If possible, turn the tire inside out to do this.
Yep, thats the way we did it.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:50 PM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
Once the hole is located, i stick a round toothpick in it to keep it located when the tube deflates. Then put 4 dots of Whiteout equidistant from the hole, to mark the area to be scruffed. Helps assure the patch is dead-centered on the hole.

BTW, whatever went with the non-pneumatic 'solid' tubes J.C. Penney used to sell in the late '70s? Those were the cat's meow.
oldcoot88 is offline Find More Posts by oldcoot88
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:53 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
On the road I just put and kept my finger on the leak until ready to work it.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:15 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2856S
When I do find some I'll send a sample to you.
Right now it's a lawnmower tire but I keep some plugs and such on the motorcycle for emergencies. Some if the girlie glue even says extremely flammable. I fell for that one and thought I had the real McCoy. NOT.

I appreciate your kindness but I gave that up 45yrs ago! It gave me headaches! I just couldn't see what the big to-do about it was. I'd say it was very over-rated
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:20 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j. marquis
I appreciate your kindness but I gave that up 45yrs ago! It gave me headaches! I just couldn't see what the big to-do about it was. I'd say it was very over-rated
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:35 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot
Yep, thats the way we did it.

Sorry, hit the wrong button. Darn, these computers!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:36 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira

What company sells the brand or repair kit?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:39 PM
Santo, Tx. La Tierra de Dios
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
N2856S-Do the instructions advise you to ignite the glue?
Whizz is online now Find More Posts by Whizz