HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:57 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Contest
Funbuild 3 - Guillow's DH80-A Puss Moth

I can't help myself, I have to join in this competition.
I just needed a reason to get going on this one.
It's the old discontinued kit #306 of 24" span.
I just like DH planes and of course Guillow's too

Being a little one, I should be able to knock it out quick & maybe get another one in before close of play.
Well there is another model in the Guillow's range which shares the opposite world record to this one.
So to build the pair would be very relevant of the Golden Age of aviation in the record setting department.

I'll leave you to guess it's stable mate for now.

Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Last edited by Smokin' Beaver; Oct 18, 2009 at 11:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:04 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Phil ,

Nice choice . I think we'll be seeing a Tiger Moth entered also at some point ( I know it was mentioned ) Great to have you back again this year with your tried and true Guillows builds(s) . I'm thinking I may do one for next years Funbuild ( something different ...maybe of the laser cut variety )

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:15 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Thanks John, it's great to be in the game again.
The decision was not easy but I'd wanted to see one of these putting around the sky for ages.
There's actually quite a lot of Guillow's kits that fit the criteria when you delve into it.
Thanks to you too for organizing another great competition.

Phil
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:23 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
All right Phil, your going to be our resident Guillow's Expert! or if you prefer, Guillow's SME!
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Oct 19, 2009, 02:34 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,182 Posts
Hey Phil:

Interesting subject! I did not realize that Guillows made this kit. This would be a challenge for most of us, but I reckon this will be a piece of cake after the Guillows B-24 and PBY! I look forward to seeing this unfold. Best of luck.

Alex
Rekitter is offline Find More Posts by Rekitter
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:33 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Well, I finally got some clear space on the bench & have made a start.
This kit was an E-bay Baaaaaargain!
Can't remember how much but it wasn't a lot.
In fact it had the wings built but everything else was missing, save for the cowling plastic, plans & decals.

So this one is sort of a kit/plans build - a hybrid if you like.

Anyway after much head scratching, I have attacked the wings and started to lighten them.
Both frames weighed all up 20 grams so I thought I'd butcher them down to about 5 grams each.
The wood was like iron and it had been done with hot-melt glue...

OK so what to do? Keep the formers - bin the rest.
We'll go with aileron elevator on this one, some 3.7 gram servos & tiny B/L motor of 2000kv & a 500ma/hr 7.4 2S pack. (gear that I have currently not used).

So back a bit later with some more updates.
But we're on our way

Phil
Old Nov 14, 2009, 09:49 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,233 Posts
Based on the drawings on the board in photo #1 you've kicked a five-year-old out of his/her workspace to do your build! I hope you amply reward the kid!

What's that material on the trailing edges?

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:40 AM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffinpdx View Post
Based on the drawings on the board in photo #1 you've kicked a five-year-old out of his/her workspace to do your build! I hope you amply reward the kid!

Geoff
Those are his drawings Geoff.

Good to see this build starting up.
Phil you know how the box art/pictures sells these kits. For whatever reason, I want one since seeing the art on the box. Just looks appealing, and I'd be tempted to use the same scheme. Guess it won't be found at the LHS though.
Feel free to scan the plans and post. Scale unimportant, just clarity.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:39 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,000 Posts
How hot would you have to get the wings to just melt away the glue? Maybe a heat gun and some gentle tugging... ?

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Nov 14, 2009, 07:53 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
subscribing
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:14 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffinpdx View Post

Geoff
ROFLOL
Ah yes, the daughter had to make way for daddy's hobby's today.
And Bill is spot on some of them are mine heh heh.
Mine are the ones in pencil - they took the crayons off me 'cos I kept eating them...

The TE is actually new wood, the old stuff has that very old look (& smell too).
The old wood came out ok as I just slipped a razor blade into the joints and they separated easily.
I'm down now from a 10 gram wing to a 6 gram wing on each and they also now have ailerons.

Bill,
I'll be happy to scan/post the plans that I have. I believe there is a notes page missing though which has some advice on wing joint to fuselage.
I actually have another DH-80 kit but it is mint condition still in it's sealed plastic wrapper.
Maybe if there is another DH-80 kit owner out there, they could advise us/post the notes page.

Phil
Old Nov 24, 2009, 06:46 PM
Balsa Phil
Atlanta
Joined Jul 2009
23 Posts
I must confess to seeing a number of Puss Moths on Ebay and having the thought, "Hey, no one else has done on one of these on the Guillows RC Groups! I'll do it and have an exclusive!" followed shortly by, "A Puss Moth? Damn. Why couldn't they name it -Super Moth- or -Iron Moth- or -Great Macho Moth of Freedom- ... damn laughing stock."

Well, good luck to you and your build.
Balsa Phil is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Phil
Old Dec 04, 2009, 01:54 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Great Macho Moth of Freedom, that’s good stuff man as I am still smiling....,Smokin I am new to this but have built some Guillows kits way back in the 80's please forgive my questions but are the ailerons to be functional, will the finished model be R/C? Do you still cover it with tissue and dope? Sorry if I am taking any time away from your build but I am rather curious.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Dec 04, 2009, 04:24 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Hi Kcal, no problem at all with the Q's.
That's what it's all about.

Yes, I'm building functional ailerons into it & yes sure will be r/c.
3 channels - aileron, elevator & throttle.
My motor & servo's arrived just last week so more pics are due. Building has been slow while I got some ARF's done over the last few weeks.

Covering will be Solite (mainly because tissue is too easy to damage). I find it easy to use and very light. It also comes in silver which is perfect for this model.

phil
Old Dec 04, 2009, 10:32 PM
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2004
905 Posts
Lookin' over your shoulder on this one.
Jugjock is offline Find More Posts by Jugjock
RCG Plus Member