HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2010, 09:29 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,445 Posts
Yes... The photos above show what it looks like after all the guts have been moved to a backplate (to reduce overall size to fit in a box lid).
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 09:48 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshop View Post
Yes... The photos above show what it looks like after all the guts have been moved to a backplate (to reduce overall size to fit in a box lid).
Thank you.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old May 27, 2010, 11:28 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,037 Posts
Here's what I ended up with, after having lots of annoying little issues with goggles (dead pixels, b/w occasionally when not on the other monitor, etc etc) , I've decided I just want a nice big LCD screen for FPV. I tried a few flights with my little 7 inch monitor on my base station, and I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked out. I decided the Craig wasn't quite even as big as I wanted, if I was going to do it, I'm gonna do it right! So, the hunt for a nice 12 volt monitor began.

I went through every option I could find online, looked at a few made for car video installs and RV applications, and in the end I just got fed up with my options and went to Target. I went back to the electronics dept. and turned around every TV I thought may work, and my suspicion was correct, there were 2 on the shelf that had an external 12 volt power supply! One was a VIZIO 19 inch LED LCD TV, and was rated at only 3amps! (most I found in this size used more like 70 watts/ ~5 amps @12 volts) I decided to go for it largely based on the fact I could take it back easily if it gave me issues (namely I was worried about the blue screen issues).

Upon getting it home I was very happy to find it will show ALL the static from my FPV plane In fact, if I turn off the vtx entirely it will show "snow" for about 3 seconds before going to blue, and the moment I plug in the power to the vtx it starts to show the image even as the camera is still powering up! I was very happy to also find it only pulls 1.5 amps in actual use with a 12 volt (3s lipo) battery, and the screen works with no problem down to 10.5 volts. When the voltage gets too low its starts to flicker for a while before it actually shuts down. I was able to mount it into an old case I had with 4mm screws and spacers.

First flight went well, second one today was even better! absolutely no problems with showing any static, hasn't done anything funny yet. I just sat it in the back of my car and its bright enough to fly with sunglasses on! I can see so much more than my goggles
First flight with lcd screen, over G's house (9 min 17 sec)
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old May 28, 2010, 12:27 AM
CQ CQ DX RC
Pahrump, NV
Joined Nov 2008
691 Posts
That is very nice!!!
Can you tell me the exact model number or better yet, the SKU so I can go attack my target?

Thanks for your review...
w7mag is offline Find More Posts by w7mag
Old May 28, 2010, 06:22 AM
Central Connecticut
Joined Jan 2010
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7mag View Post
That is very nice!!!
Can you tell me the exact model number or better yet, the SKU so I can go attack my target?

Thanks for your review...
I used Google to search for his exact phrase (which looks like he cut-n-pasted from somewhere): "VIZIO 19 inch LED LCD TV" and the list came up with two models, one which runs about $200, and one which runs about $2000. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the cheap one. The model number is "VM190XVT Razor". You can get them cheaper than from Target, but I agree with his ease-of-trial, ease-of-return decision.

Hm, after closer review, Target also offers a cheaper version with a PC video input (probably VGA, maybe DMI). Both models are listed as web-only-not-stores. Neither version lists a 12V input, but they probably just have a power brick on a cord and don't tell you that you can use something other than wall power.
HariEdo is offline Find More Posts by HariEdo
Last edited by HariEdo; May 28, 2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 07:30 AM
CQ CQ DX RC
Pahrump, NV
Joined Nov 2008
691 Posts
Thanks!
All good info...
Looks like I'll be shopping this weekend..
Old May 28, 2010, 10:23 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
Joined Apr 2002
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HariEdo View Post
I used Google to search for his exact phrase (which looks like he cut-n-pasted from somewhere): "VIZIO 19 inch LED LCD TV" and the list came up with two models, one which runs about $200, and one which runs about $2000. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the cheap one. The model number is "VM190XVT Razor". You can get them cheaper than from Target, but I agree with his ease-of-trial, ease-of-return decision.

Hm, after closer review, Target also offers a cheaper version with a PC video input (probably VGA, maybe DMI). Both models are listed as web-only-not-stores. Neither version lists a 12V input, but they probably just have a power brick on a cord and don't tell you that you can use something other than wall power.
sorry, I should have listed the model. Its an M190MV... http://www.vizio.com/m190mv.html#support
I got it for $240, and its got an external 12 volt supply, even though there is no mention of it in the specs I can't seem to find it on the Target website, and I think the $170 one mentioned had normal 120v AC power. Oh, the M190MV has VGA input as well
Last edited by aaronredbaron; May 28, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:34 AM
CQ CQ DX RC
Pahrump, NV
Joined Nov 2008
691 Posts
Thanks!
It's a good starting point and a GREAT idea looking at the units in the stores
to find the 12vdc power source....
I'm now thinking of a regular LCD PC monitor using a Composite to VGA adaptor
(which I already have). That way I can maintain the same aspect ratio as my
airborne video gear.. NITS... I need lots-o-NITS so I can see in in the desert light.

Have a fantastic weekend...

Paul
Old May 28, 2010, 10:44 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
Joined Apr 2002
1,037 Posts
it looks like that VM190XVT listed above has a higher brightness rating than mine (300 vs 250 nits) and a little higher power rating (55 watts vs my 37 watts) to go with it. But.. from the pics on the VIZIO website, it still appears to have 12 v in!
http://www.vizio.com/flat-panel-hdtvs/vm190xvt.html
Old May 28, 2010, 10:47 AM
CQ CQ DX RC
Pahrump, NV
Joined Nov 2008
691 Posts
I've found a few "sunlight viewable" LCDs that are rated about
800 to 1500 nits but they cost about a dollar a nit...
Old Jun 06, 2010, 01:51 PM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
Here's my custom made Craig TV
Here are pics of my whole Ground Station :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=46
V is offline Find More Posts by V
Old Jun 06, 2010, 02:03 PM
Aerial Images of Texas
The Texas Gulf Coast where hurricanes come to play
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
Dude, that's bad to the bone. Very nice work.
Love the diamond plate.
tashley is offline Find More Posts by tashley
Old Jun 06, 2010, 02:06 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olteancr View Post
Here's my custom made Craig TV
Here are pics of my whole Ground Station :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=46
I love the look of you GS, it looks like something the Cylons would use.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 06, 2010, 03:01 PM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashley View Post
Dude, that's bad to the bone. Very nice work.
Love the diamond plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
I love the look of you GS, it looks like something the Cylons would use.
Thanks a lot for your nice comments guys !!
It was a lot of work but I'm happy because I think it came out pretty nice
Rob
V is offline Find More Posts by V
Old Jun 06, 2010, 06:20 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Without a doubt the coolest ground station I've ever seen. Honestly those are all of my same ideas that I just never put into action. Well done.
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes