SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 06:53 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,394 Posts
Thats one nice looking bird
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2010, 01:37 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,169 Posts
Thanks ... and a very nice flyer

The video does not quite do it justice, that was before I did some minor linkage adjustments on the elevator, and took out some un-needed aileron differential ...

in the video it ran out of down trim and was constantly climbing unless you held down stick.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:00 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,169 Posts
Pictures of the F-86 at the field today, a bit overcast but good flying weather

Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:11 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,213 Posts
herb, i started one of these puppies...where do you find is the best all around CG?
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:11 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,169 Posts
Well I just checked, mine flies with a CG of 18cm, that's probably where the instructions said it should be, or slightly ahead of it.

I believe I read at the time that people felt it flew better with a slightly forward CG.

Nevertheless, mine needed a bunch of down trim on the maiden, I had to even re-adjust the elevator linkages.

JePe later claimed the wing incidence is wrong, so he changed that a bit :

http://jepe.org/FastFoam/sabre/sabre.htm

Mine seems to fly just fine, very un-critical, like a big foam glider. I would be suprised if it would care that much about plus or minus a few mm in the CG.

In any case I can't move anything around in the cockpit, it is completely crammed with batts (9S 4000's) etc.

Last edited by Herb; Nov 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 01:35 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,213 Posts
great! thanks for the info herb! i started on mine recently. adding flaps, working on plug for scale nose, and a better canopy as well. should turn out well! a budy and i are doing matching ones. hate to be a copy cat,but were doing minute men too...its about the only sabre scheme i havnt done yet, and its gorgeous. plus, were going to do formation flying, so it suits it well!

thanks for the inspiration, and help on the cg!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:33 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,169 Posts
Hi, Thanks

Mine is still alive and well. Let me add a couple of comments that might be helpful :

(1) In spite of all the glassing mine is still surface-sensitive. When I put it upside down in the pvc pipe foam covered plane stand I have to be careful not to dent the fuse. So, don't hesitate to add more glass layers or use thicker glass, this thing ends up super light no matter what one does to it. The wing is very strong when glassed, and I have not found any structural issues.

(2) It flipped over twice just sitting there in front of my car when a wind gust caught it. And it cracked the canopy twice . Now I have put a brand new canopy on it, and will weigh it down when it sits there. Make sure you protect your canopy when it's not flying. This F-86 flips over at the slightest wind gust.

(3) Mine is a battery toaster. There's not much space for batteries, and this is one big plane. I cram 9S 4000's in it but it could use 9S 8000's ! I think it pulls something like 2800W and that's the least one should have so it don't look lame?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
Hi Herb,

I'm a new guy here. You have a reat looking f86. I have mine started and I'm considering glassing using your ideas. What I was trying to see is after joining the fuse together did you glass the seems? It looks like you did. Would you have approached any items differently with the build? I will be hand launching and closing up the big hole in the bottom of the nose where the nose gear goes. Anything I should be concerned with when doing that? Running a HET 600-37-2 with wemo fan 6s 5800 mah. Thank you in advance and again great looking build.
donphenry is offline Find More Posts by donphenry
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:04 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,169 Posts
Hi Don, Thanks - Sorry for the late reply !

yes I did join front and aft fuselage sections before glassing, that provided (after filling and sanding) a nice smooth surface.

I then ended up with two halves, the left and the right one. Hope it helps, let mw know if you have any more questions.

I found the F-86 project here not entirely satisfactory since this is one big plane, and it needs a lot of power to fly jet -like. But the the space for batteries is very very limited !!

I saw the FlyFly L-39 fly and it flew much better (less drag and more space for batteries without going crazy on where to stack them).
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
Thanks Herb,

With the two halfs joined did you glass that seam?
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:54 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donphenry View Post
Thanks Herb,

I always glass over seams, the whole benefit from glass comes from covering all weak points. On the Battery space, if you search on HK you will find they make long flat packs I found perfect for the Sabres' limited space.
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:02 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donphenry View Post
Thanks Herb,

Of course, I glassed the whole fuse, so that includes the seam as well. No I did not put any extra glass on the seam, it does not need it.

Structurally the F-86 does not have any problems , maybe just the tail fins are a bit delicate if you bump into them.

The fuse is very strong (thick sides) and the wing is very strong too.

The only useful battery space is in the canopy area, and that as I said is quite limited.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can give you anything else.

Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
Thanks again Herb. We're you able devise a way after glassing the whole plane to be able to access servos and motor for maintenance if you needed?
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:15 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,169 Posts
Well the servos are accessed the usual way, there'a cover you remove and then out comes the servo. I have not had any problems with the servos on the F-86, I used a combination of quality Hitec servos like HS-82 MG etc.

Removing the fan is done through the bottom opening, after of course removing the wing. The only issue is the mylar exhaust which is glued to the fan with silicone, that has to be detached. After that, the fan comes right out.

In fact I had to do that as one day the rotor flew off the Midifan, the problem was traced back to not using high temp (red) Loctite on the two adapter set screws. A real pain.

Old Apr 05, 2013, 01:31 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,169 Posts
I finally got around replacing the fan on the Sabre ... It was a real pain to re-attach the mylar ducting.

I also had to make some new ply half-tubes to re-mount the fan to the (ply) intake.

The fan is a HET 700 shroud with a WeMoTec MidiFan pro rotor, with a Neu 1515/1.5y as before. I put a larger Hobbywing Pentium (K-Force) 120A HV esc in the Sabre, and ran up the motor again on 9S 4000's