HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 10:35 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
Well the gear seems to work fine so far, with the new wheels. Actually, they are not that bad. The aluminum does not bend (yet).

I am not as good as others at anticipating all the things that will eventually go wrong ... I just fix it as I go along ..

That's why all my jets are a work in progress

Yesterday I took a short video of Gregg F flying the F-86,

F-86 Sabre EDF (JePe Fast Foam) FlyFly (2 min 50 sec)
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2010, 10:54 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,306 Posts
Good to hear, I really like your Sabre.

I'm itching to build one of these foamies for some reason, go figure. I haven't built an airplane in almost two years and haven't flown much in the last year either (did 3 events and maybe flew 12 times all year) and suddenly I'm into it again. Built the Yellow F-4 as well as a little Kyosho F-16 and a Multiplex Twister. Got about 10 flights in on the foamies in the last two weeks and now winter is here with a vengence . 20's and mondo wind today.

Anyway, the F-4 foamy looks good and the Mirage also. Like the Sabre but I've got a BVM 90% built on the shelf I ought to finish first...
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Jan 04, 2010, 06:04 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
Hey Chris at some point I thought of doing the Mirage, that thing is even better than the F-86 (the problem with the F-86 is that it is BIG).

But with two Rafales, I thought I pass on another Dassault delta

Here's a video for you which I think will convince you to get that Mirage as a lazy weekend flyer

It's Kevin Saunders (of JePe Pyranha fame) flying the Mirage at Bickley, unbelievable performance, fully glassed yet very light airframe with JePe 8S (or 9S?) Midifan setup with some el chepo lipos. And retracts with fully functional doors

Heavier flys better ... yeah right

Kevin Saunder's FLYFLY Mirage 2000 on 9S 'Mystery' brand cells,90mm Jepe fan. (4 min 10 sec)
Old Jan 04, 2010, 06:28 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,306 Posts
LOL! Lazy weekend flyer <g>. I had seen that, it is enticing. I've got a stack of 2,650 40C packs on order for my Twister. I've also got a Schubi with a Hacker B50-13XL (more than 1 actually) on the shelf without a home. Might have to match them up .
Old Jan 05, 2010, 01:04 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
There you go ... nothing better than an un-employed DS-51

Sunday night I made a few more decals for the F-86...

I printed them on paper in the right size, taped them over a monokote trim sheet, and then proceeded to patiently cut them out with an exacto knife.

Last edited by Herb; Jan 05, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 09:15 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,306 Posts
Very nice, impressive patience . What / how did you do the panel lines - pen or tape? How did you scale up the markings on the computer, is it a drawing or a font?
Old Jan 07, 2010, 11:36 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
Chris, for the thicker lines, I use Great Planes striping tape,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJ889&P=ML

it streches a bit more than the Carl Goldberg one, and works very well. They have various colors and widths at my LHS.

The thinner lines I do with a sharpie pen from target and a flexible ruler,

Old Jan 07, 2010, 11:45 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
For the wing markings, I got from the internet these "Amarillo USAF" fonts, and used them in an MS Word document.

To start, you unzip the file containing the USAF font, and put the font in your c:/windows/font directory. Now it can be used from any Word document.

I then printed the stuff out on regular paper (couple of tries to get the size right), taped them to a monokote trim sheet, and cut them out with an exacto.

I cut out all the markings Sunday night while my wife was watching desperate housewifes, cutting did not take mor than an hour

I laid them on the fuse and wings with plenty of soapy water to get the alignment right.

Last edited by Herb; Jan 07, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2010, 11:58 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
A couple of pictures off the internets showed where to place markings etc. ,

http://www.schreiner-savex.de/sabre.htm

Last edited by Herb; Jan 07, 2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2010, 06:03 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,306 Posts
Thanks, I knew about the Amarillo font. I had it on my machine @ some point. Maybe was the last machine because it is gone now. The "Minute Man" was what I was wondering about specifically.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 01:20 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
... as far as detailing is concerned, I think I'll stop here for a while

Had two more flights yesterday, only small problem left is the leaky fill valve. Retracts & flyfly struts now hold up well.

Best flown with large majestic easy manouvers

Last edited by Herb; Jan 11, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
I've had 12 flights on mine, and the FlyFly stock LG is holding up fine, after doing the various mods discussed before (new hard steel pins, trailing link redone, new wheels).

I managed to find some time to work on the landing gear. Initially I thought of putting in gear doors, but after doeing the whole installation I found they would not operate reliably.

The main inner doors would not shut 100% consistently, and the outre geardoors would flutter in flight.

So I removed all of the gear door stuff (kiss principle), and instead made the gear openings smaller:

Last edited by Herb; Feb 23, 2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:47 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
So far the main mods to the included flyfly gear are :

(1) replace the flimsy plastic wheels !

(2) replace the soft steel pins with quality steel piano wire

(3) fix the trailing link connection with a screw

Now the gear works fine on grass ...

Last edited by Herb; Jan 24, 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:36 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
After flying the Sabre with the bigger 9S 4Ah 40C batteries (2900W) I have added a small graphics card fan to keep temps on the
esc (Hobbywing $99 100A 12S HV) down.

I still have to add two zipties to keep it secure.

No point (so far) of butchering the intake, and as it's installed it can easily be exchanged without ripping the fan & ducting out

Last edited by Herb; Feb 23, 2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:56 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master
Hi Herb ... I was thinking for my new F-86 [...] and perhaps you can help. They are now unpainted for easy sanding/glassing and besides the carbon spar I have no modifications. I told you that I would close the nosegear hole to get better airflow. You have any pictures how you made the smaller plywood ducting inside the nose? does it bring more room for the battery? Mine had a 5s 4500 pack in the nose and that was all I could put in before I had CG a problem ... and then there was not much room for more cells. A smaller air intake could provide some extra room on the sides of the cockpit. ...
Hello Dutch Master ,

Here are a couple of pictures of how I did the ply ducting, it has an intake diameter of about 87mm (width) x 75mm (height) or 51.2 sq dm.

One advantage of the ply ducting is that it is very stiff and supports the batteries well (9S 4Ah), but I do have a heavier motor (Neu 1515/1.5y, 360g) at the back which helps the CG.