HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:43 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_design View Post
Here's the pic I mentioned. I've since gone back and added a second case which holds the 3 viewing lenses and the 12 volt battery. This case sits on the ground underneath the tripod. So now the 2 receivers and the diversity system are all off the single 12 volt and the goggles are off of a single lipo battery.
I would put at least two rivets through, in hot weather the hot glue may get soft under the weight.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Apr 2005
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
What is this blue thing with light on?
and what is you capture device? still looking for inexpensive and decent one.
Blue thing with the light on is the AAT driver (which powers and drives the tracker above and provides video out via the silver slip ring mounted to the tripod). The capture device is an OOOOLD Neuros 442 which they dont make any more but i love it (or at least i used to before the harddisk started to fail).

And under that is an ipad connected with bluetooth to the AAT driver for real time flight path display and GPS coordinate readout in case of a long distance crash with loss of video and a failed recording (or if i forgot to press record).
AnnihilaT is offline Find More Posts by AnnihilaT
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:40 PM
Indianapolis, In
Joined Oct 2004
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnihilaT View Post
Blue thing with the light on is the AAT driver (which powers and drives the tracker above and provides video out via the silver slip ring mounted to the tripod). The capture device is an OOOOLD Neuros 442 which they dont make any more but i love it (or at least i used to before the harddisk started to fail).

And under that is an ipad connected with bluetooth to the AAT driver for real time flight path display and GPS coordinate readout in case of a long distance crash with loss of video and a failed recording (or if i forgot to press record).
Can you please provide further details on the aat to bluetooth to iPad display?

Thanks,
Joe
jcoahran is offline Find More Posts by jcoahran
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:45 PM
Joined Apr 2005
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoahran View Post
Can you please provide further details on the aat to bluetooth to iPad display?

Thanks,
Joe
Its a new feature i believe that only in the V2 AAT driver hardware version. You need to jailbreak your ipad or iphone and install BTstack GPS at which point you can connect to the AATDriver and your iphone or ipad will use the GPS signals coming from your airplane instead of the ones from its own GPS radio. Then any 3rd party GPS tracking software can be used. I am using google earth and MotionX not sure which i like better yet.
AnnihilaT is offline Find More Posts by AnnihilaT
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:02 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Cool Thx :-)
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:53 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
I currently have two base stations. The first one is just a set of trimersions modded to have a 900mhz RX and HT built in. It is nice for grab n' go flying or just checking to see if something works without plugging in 20 wires and batteries. The second is my long range one designed to be customizable. It has two 900mhz RX's + oracle diversity, filtered 3200mah lipo for power, 5 video outputs, VGA output, two USB recorder outputs (elgato and easycap), RSSI and voltage levels, even an anemometer is in there. I have it set up so all the components are friction fit for easy removal. For viewing, I use an 8" dvd player as a back up and FPV modded headplays as primary. Since I walk to all of my fields, I had to keep this all in the smallest box possible while keeping it large enough to be future proof. With a few mods, it will accept antenna tracking but I am still a little weary of GPS based AT's. The whole rig fits in a backpack. I am working on a version 2 that is capable of being up and running in just a few minutes. I hate having to set up, plugging wires in, ect just for a 15 minute flight. It will also be more "inconspicuous" since I have to go through a few public parks to get to the field. I hate looking like tinfoilhatguy in public.
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:37 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziomatrixacs View Post
I am working on a version 2 that is capable of being up and running in just a few minutes. I hate having to set up, plugging wires in, ect just for a 15 minute flight. It will also be more "inconspicuous" since I have to go through a few public parks to get to the field. I hate looking like tinfoilhatguy in public.
Yep, I need to work on something way smaller.
Getting tired of lugging huge case, tripod and the plane.
Just the look of all this crap looks suspicious .
The biggest is my 15" monitor and dreaded HP liberator, everything else is tiny, since I use cercom diversity GS.
Need to figure out neat small package for it all (will use 7" monitor instead)
Old Apr 24, 2011, 04:30 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,034 Posts
I agree!
I now need 2 silver case to haul my gear. One is my GS (2 rx, oracle, big lipos, splitter, patch, dipole, 10" display) and the other large case carries my 2 sets RVisions, 1 set Headplays, DVD burner, extra mini sd recorder, spare blank dvds spare batteries, tools.
I GOTTA downsize!
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Apr 24, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Goto agree about the size of the groundstations and the amount of gear needed to fly. It's fine if your going to a meet and spending the day on site but it always seems a drag when you just want a quick flight. I have mine in a single flight case which includes 9" monitor, video splitter/amplifier, dvr. Then there's the Headplays the tripod with antenna tracking and diversity and the leads to connect everything. I'm thinking of building another gs which can just attach to the tripod for easy set up and transportation.
Liam
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:18 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
I work Everyday and setting up its ok on weekends but now spring is coming longer days, so I like to just pop out after work for 1hr or so without spending 1 hour to set it all up.
Did not do much but already is really getting to me :-).
I just got another Cercom GS. This thing is tiny so will be closely looking for some ideas from you guys :-) The bulkier are monitors and goggles.
So for my reasons (in and out) I may just skip the monitor and only use goggle to fly in local parks. I think in such a case I probably wont need diversity, oh well maybe.
Keep forgetting to ask what kind of fuse ( ratings) would do for 3 lipos in GS?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:33 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
Do it -Building my all in one trimersions have made flying a lot easier. Instead of sighing at the amount of stuff I have to carry to the field, I just go within 5 minutes and I can be in the air as fast as I can mount the wings, flick three switched and plug the battery in.

Has anyone made a chart of FPV ground station part placement? I know its best to have maximum separation for antennas for diversity. (why the giant patch lead comes in handy) but I am unsure of ground station induced interference or reducing the receivers sensitivity by bad component placement.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:40 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
I work Everyday and setting up its ok on weekends but now spring is coming longer days, so I like to just pop out after work for 1hr or so without spending 1 hour to set it all up.
Did not do much but already is really getting to me :-).
I just got another Cercom GS. This thing is tiny so will be closely looking for some ideas from you guys :-) The bulkier are monitors and goggles.
So for my reasons (in and out) I may just skip the monitor and only use goggle to fly in local parks. I think in such a case I probably wont need diversity, oh well maybe.
Keep forgetting to ask what kind of fuse ( ratings) would do for 3 lipos in GS?

I don't use a fuse, I just check all of my wiring before plugging it in. Seems like one likely thing to fail in air. I know if you remove the case to oracle diversity, it is actually pretty small. Just hard to find the right size heatshrink for it. Diversity is nice but for general flying, its better to just have a CP antenna I think. I just look goofy with a ball of copper and coax hanging off my head so I am using a rubber duckie for now. Yes, I chose cosmetic design (perhaps my social life?) over performance.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:07 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,034 Posts
I never bothered with a GS fuse, but find that using s circuit breaker is handy. I use a 5a C/B and it functions like an on off switch. I have tripped it once when trialling a Ubec that smoked itself.
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:30 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Then the hell with the fuse.
Really, there is just few wires and after bench test if nothing is smoking it should be good to go. I just have on/off switch so the monitor and diversity doesnt drain the power and have all connected before leaving the house. Also have installed lipo monitor for TV and GS,
pretty simple. Got some pictures somewhere here and not much changed since.
Now I just have to shrink it.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
long range fly

Hi every one i have been reading this thread and learning, thank you all for your discussions.
i have a question :
have any one of you use an antenna (Yagi or patch ) to increase the radio range?
i have seen a picture where they put an a Yagi antenna for 2.4ghz together with the video antennas , all mounted in a tripod with a eagle eyes station for tracking.
some one know if it works OK for a long range fly?
jfcomg is offline Find More Posts by jfcomg