Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:51 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratorian
man you know me soo well

Dude is that a Pabst Blue Ribbon, are you trying to get FPV banned? AMA rules clearing state Corona is the beer to fly with. Pabst Blue Ribbon, I did not think they still made that beer. Sweet set up, where I live I could only dream of doing that.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:22 AM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro
Dude is that a Pabst Blue Ribbon, are you trying to get FPV banned? AMA rules clearing state Corona is the beer to fly with. Pabst Blue Ribbon, I did not think they still made that beer. Sweet set up, where I live I could only dream of doing that.

yea pabst blue ribbon is my backup plan when I run out of Molson or Coors Corona... I thought only chicks drank that stuff, at least around here
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:27 AM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Corona... I thought only chicks drank that stuff, at least around here
Hehe, well said.

Curt
Flipper_118 is offline Find More Posts by Flipper_118
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:27 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Molson, now you're talking.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 22, 2009, 02:32 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,196 Posts
heres mine in the works.
Im waiting for some coax extensions to hardmount the antennas in the top of the case. That way, nothing needs to be outside the case.
I have the 15" screen for general viewing, the mini-dv recording and showing in the viewfinder as a back-up. I also have FatSharks.

Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Oct 22, 2009, 02:32 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
11,082 Posts
Quote:
My new ground station, I vote for comfort FPV over portability

I'll take a couple pics of the whole installation later
Thats really awesome Pratorian !!!! I really like it, how much range do you get ? I look foward to seeing what kind of antennas, and the rest of your home FPV setup.

Mike
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2009, 02:37 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
11,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr
heres mine in the works.
Im waiting for some coax extensions to hardmount the antennas in the top of the case.
Do not use coax extensions, at the very high frequencies we use for Video, coax extensions will reduce your range by a large amount Always mount the receiver with the antenna using only the coax supplied with the antenna.

How long does your battery power that 15 inch TV ???

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2009, 02:41 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
Do not use coax extensions, at the very high frequencies we use for Video, coax extensions will reduce your range by a large amount Always mount the receiver with the antenna using only the coax supplied with the antenna.

How long does your battery power that 15 inch TV ???

Mike

question, why does DPCAV sell the extensions as "Ideal for remotely mounting 434MHz - 1300MHz wireless video (A/V) antennas."

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=261&page=1
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2009, 02:53 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Thats really awesome Pratorian !!!! I really like it, how much range do you get ? I look foward to seeing what kind of antennas, and the rest of your home FPV setup.

Mike

I need to upgrade my outside installation, I'm just using standard 8dbi patch and 3dbi omni through the oracle and standard antenna that came with Thomas' LRS.

I plan on mounting a grid antenna like yours on a pan/tilt on the roof of my house using the immersionRC antenna tracker and an other antenna for either Thomas LRS or the dragonlink with the 7w booster, that should give me some serious range.

For now my range is +-3 miles, if I could get like 5-7 miles range it would be awesome I could fly to the next town during my live broadcasts which would make them a lot more exciting because my town is small there is not much to see
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:13 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jan 2009
3,919 Posts
Quote:

Mike
Coax extensions for video will work as long as your not doing 100' runs with them. Anything around 15' you wont see any differance. Just make sure that there 75 ohm impedance.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:20 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y
Coax extensions for video will work as long as your not doing 100' runs with them. Anything around 15' you wont see any differance. Just make sure that there 75 ohm impedance.
Ok Im officially on the fence now.

You say its ok, Jett says no
You say 75ohm only, but why does DPCAV sell them at 50ohm? (check the link in my post above.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:27 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jan 2009
3,919 Posts
900 systems use an rx from sat systems and they were 75 ohm the 1.3 and 2.4 ghz are 50 ohm. Go to the second page here and you will see. http://akamai.globalsources.com.edge...1010688229.pdf line 4-4
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:30 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,196 Posts
Quote:
900 systems use an rx from sat systems and they were 75 ohm the 1.3 and 2.4 ghz are 50 ohm. Go to the second page here and you will see. http://akamai.globalsources.com.edge...1010688229.pdf line 4-4
thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:41 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,196 Posts
Quote:
thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:56 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
11,082 Posts
Quote:
900 systems use an rx from sat systems and they were 75 ohm the 1.3 and 2.4 ghz are 50 ohm. Go to the second page here and you will see.
You do not understand what you are looking at, on a Satellite system, the receiver is AT the antenna, the signal is then down converted and amplified many times to compensate for the run over lossy coax. You thinking that satellite signals are sent over coax is very wrong, it NEVER is.

As far as what some people sell, you need to understand what they are selling and what for. There is a lot of misinformation here, at one point it appears that Martin Y is talking about running the VIDEO signals over coax, which is fine... No problem at all.... Sending ANTENNA signal over coax is HORRIBLE at our frequencies though, even with the most expensive microwave coax under perfect conditions, you will loose half your signal or more in just 10 feet

So if you are interested, look up the loss table of the coax you are using for the frequency you are using, the specifications put out by the coax manufacturers dont lie... If you want to listen to people that dont understand what they are talking about, then extend your video antenna with coax and see how it works

Mike
Site Sponsor