Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:34 PM
Fly Big, Low and Slow....
USA, VA, Wicomico
Joined Aug 2008
1,358 Posts
Well guys I finally finished up my ground station.

Its plywood painted blue and black with magnetic doors.

It has a 900mhz receiver in the lid and a fan to cool it on those hot days.

There is a voltmeter that monitors both the TV battery and the RX battery via a switch beside the Voltmeter panel.

The plugs on the lower panel allow me to plug in my 19in vizio to the ground station which houses a 5000mah 3s for the TV. The reciever has a 3000mah 3s.

Both batteries are charged via the plugs on the lower panel and the computer socket is the interface for the balance tabs of both batteries.

On the right side if the case there is a small fan that cools the 2 lipos.

The AV socket for video out is located under the top switch panel.

There is a patch mounted on the lid that is propped open at the appropriate angle via the carbon rod that slides back into the side of the case for transport.

The main 3300mah 3s flight batteries are stored snuggly in the center compartment and the other compartments are for whatever needs to go to the field.

Hope you enjoy.

-Anson
Alpina540 is offline Find More Posts by Alpina540
Last edited by Alpina540; Mar 21, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:41 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,371 Posts
^ Very nice station!
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:43 PM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
663 Posts
Very cool indeed. Great Job! Where did you get the foam and how did you cut it out? I am ready to start my bad boy. I have everything but the foam and a sane way to make cut outs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina540 View Post

Its plywood painted blue and black with magnetic doors.

It has a 900mhz receiver in the lid and a fan to cool it on those hot days.

There is a voltmeter that monitors both the TV battery and the RX battery via a switch beside the Voltmeter panel.

The plugs on the lower panel allow me to plug in my 19in vizio to the box which houses a 5000mah 3s for the TV. The reciever has a 3000mah 3s.

Both batteries are charged via the plugs on the lower panel and the computer socket is the interface for the balance tabs of both batteries.

On the right side if the case there is a small fan that cools the 2 lipos.

The AV socket for video out is located under the top switch panel.

There is a patch mounted on the lid that is propped open at the appropriate angle via the carbon rod that slides back into the side of the case for transport.

The main 3300mah 3s flight batteries are stored snuggly in the center compartment and the other compartments are for whatever needs to go to the field.

Hope you enjoy.

-Anson
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:43 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,329 Posts
Simple and clean build. I like it.
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:47 PM
USA, VA, Wicomico
Joined Aug 2008
1,358 Posts
lol... sane is the operative word here...

I laminated 1/2 in sheets I got from a club member and I cut the battery cut outs on the band saw...yes it was as tedious as you are imagining.

There is a layer of rigid felt on the top layer of foam in the battery bay to finish it off.

-Anson
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:48 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
560 Posts
Quote:

-Anson
Anson -- very nice!! Did you find that the magnets you used for your doors introduced any issues for the electronics or issues for the video quality?
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:00 PM
USA, VA, Wicomico
Joined Aug 2008
1,358 Posts
The magnetic field created by magnets does not interfere with the electromagnetic field the Antennas use to receive the video transmission.

So no problems, in fact IBCRAZY stated you could put a magnet right on an antenna and not have any degradation in signal.

Thanks for all the compliments guys... fellow FPVers are the only ones that can truly appreciate the work and the usefulness of such a case.

-Anson
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:45 AM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
560 Posts
Quote:
The magnetic field created by magnets does not interfere with the electromagnetic field the Antennas use to receive the video transmission.

So no problems, in fact IBCRAZY stated you could put a magnet right on an antenna and not have any degradation in signal.

Thanks for all the compliments guys... fellow FPVers are the only ones that can truly appreciate the work and the usefulness of such a case.

-Anson
Anson -- ok, good to know, thank you! Enjoy your station.
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:09 AM
John Foltz
Woodstock, GA
Joined Jan 2011
390 Posts
Quote:

This is true for the antenna and antenna wire, but not for the electronics. Magnets will absolutely change the behavior of some of the components in a device, so don't put them right on top of a receiver or amplifier or something.
jfflyer is offline Find More Posts by jfflyer
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:10 PM
USA, VA, Wicomico
Joined Aug 2008
1,358 Posts
Yeah I suppose some electronic circuits could not play nice with magnets but I really only have the video rx inside to be concerned with and its nowhere near the magnets.

-Anson
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:43 AM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
Here is a pic i took at the field this weekend it shows my fpv funjet, fpv stealthwing and ground station.
My ground station constants of a case with room for fatsharks and tools and spares under the fatshatrk tray. My hitech optic 6 with DL 8 flight lipos and 2 x 3000mah ground station lipos (i use 2 so i have redundancy if one packs up) in the lid i have a archos 5 to record and view the flight video with dvr adaptor and 5v supply to run off ground station lipos. On my tripod i have a servo city pan and tilt swinging a 14db patch antenna controlled by the ez antenna tracker. I have one ubec powering the pan and tilt and another powering the ez antenna tracker board as the pan and tilt draws a lot of current and the ez tracker works best with a steady voltage. The tracker board and ubec are mounted to an immersion duo 2400 vrx with a 5db omni for diversity.

Cheers
Nick
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Last edited by fpvnick; Mar 28, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:15 AM
Blue Falcon
the Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
Nick, I really like the collor of your funjet! Well done.
bluefalconhollan is offline Find More Posts by bluefalconhollan
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:52 AM
Provence , France
Joined Sep 2010
19 Posts
My Ground Station

Hey,

Just two pics of mine, I need to change the antennas location as the patch is shielding the omni (eagle eyes diversity).

Then the video Tx on the plane is only 200 Mw.

The case is found in a hardware store and holds everything all in one, it is just the right size for my Gaui 330XS quad fully mounted....

Cheers,

Mat
Supermat01 is offline Find More Posts by Supermat01
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:42 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
114 Posts
My new gournd station:
I got sick of using a metal [shotgun] case and having to plug everything up, so i made this ground station.. its not finished yet, but works well for receiving video!
Current features:
  • SMA port for external antenna
  • internal 5-way video splitter
  • internal 2100mah 3s lipo
  • [old] 3s charger with external charging port
  • Individual system power switches
  • 2 video and audio output ports
To be implemented:
  • Custom circuit board needs to be programmed for showing lipo voltage on a led
  • Internal usb 2 hub needs to be connected to the usb-b port
  • easy cap needs to be fitted inside the case and connected to the video feed, audio feed and hub
  • other usb port needs to be connected to the hub
  • usb to serial plug needs to be connected to the hub and micro
  • micro needs to be programmed for ppm output

There are three switches on the back - power, receiver and transmitter. It has 2 video outs, a usb in, usb out and two status leds on the front.

I will be able to use it as a standalone receiver [its current state], a receiver with recording on the computer through the easy cap or a a fully fledged, plug and fly system.

Its pretty simple - you connect the system to your pc using usb. All the drivers are on a usb stick connected to the hub. I get a video feed through the easy cap [no need for goggles/etc screen]. You then connect a usb joystick [logitech] to the usb port on the front of the unit, run some custom software on the pc, which sends the joystick values to the micro inside the device, which in turn sends ppm singals to the HK 6ch tx module [as can be seen near the second antenna].. and there you go!

Hmm.. if i get a second rc tx module, i might try to put some of the electronics, vrx and batt into my old logitech joystick.. completly portable solution!

Thoughs and suggestions would be great!

I enjoyed looking at all the great ideas in this thread! so many people have so many different ways to make their GS work!

--El1m1nate--
El1m1nate is offline Find More Posts by El1m1nate
Last edited by El1m1nate; Mar 30, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:29 PM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
663 Posts
Where is a good and CHEAP place to get foam?

Hi All,

I have searched on-line for foam insert material to pad my Ground Station. It seems VERY expensive. For example, the replacement foam for a Pelican 1620 case is about $80. That is about 1/2 what the case costs!!
Appreciate any help on this.
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg