SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:52 PM
Damn....
Puerto Rico
Joined May 2008
643 Posts
What do you guys use for cutting the foam inside the boxes?
They turn out perfect. I'm in the process of doing one.
Thanks
edu01jose is offline Find More Posts by edu01jose
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:53 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
and that is really great find.
how big is the suitcase? Will 15" monitor fit in?
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:57 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I think that "suitcase" is for demo purposes only - you could just put your aluminum case on it. But if it does come with it, it's just an extra plus.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:01 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Are you getting one?
Gee, I end up with ton of suitcases.
For now my 15" monitor is in a Pelican case ( somewhere here in this thread)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Mar 04, 2011, 05:24 PM
Blue Falcon
the Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
734 Posts
I just want to show the new ground station of my friend Remy. Tonight he did finish it. 1.3 GHz video receiver, immersion tracker, 12 dBi yagi antenna, 3x video booster/splitter and display.
0.5W booster, 9dBi patch for 2.4GHz transmitter.

bluefalconhollan is offline Find More Posts by bluefalconhollan
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:14 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edu01jose View Post
What do you guys use for cutting the foam inside the boxes?
They turn out perfect. I'm in the process of doing one.
Thanks
I had one case with a new foam insert and the foam is perforated so I could literally use my fingers to make the cut-outs clean. That's the cleanest and easiest. It's like vertical finger sized rods all connected. In my pics a few pages back you'll notice I've inserted some antennas through the split of each perforated piece. They are great, and you can always remove more later.

A foam shop near my work supplies this type of foam for "Pelican" and other cases for about $20 if you want to go that route.

Other cases I had were for high tech equipment from the 90s (not so high tech anymore) and I just adapted those for my needs with a sharp blade. Not as clean but the price was right!

In one case I used scrap foam to build a divider and glued that in with hot glue.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:20 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,742 Posts
Is ther any websites that can make custom made GroundStations?
(ie....tracking antennas')
since I can't make really fancy ones' some shown here:-)

;-)

jk

LOL

;-)

LINKS?

I saw this one....

http://www.marcusuav.com/trackingantennas.htm

thanks
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Mar 12, 2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:24 PM
Netherlands
Joined Feb 2004
443 Posts
www.foxtechfpv
www.readymaderc.com

Remy is offline Find More Posts by Remy
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:00 PM
Latvia, Riga
Joined May 2010
665 Posts
Batteries

Hi

Anyone can tell if these batteries are just with high internal resistance or they are realy untrustable to power groundstation?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Config=&qty=30
They would be OK to power 1-2AMPS for GS.

Kristaps
kristaps_r is offline Find More Posts by kristaps_r
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:13 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
antenna tracker

another link.
http://fpvpilot.com/AntennaTrackerMount.aspx
jfcomg is offline Find More Posts by jfcomg
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:08 AM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,057 Posts
My CP ground station, A 12dbi helix and skewplanar wheel on 2.4ghz with EE.
A 200mw 5.8ghz tx relay the AV to my AIO goggles.
Hugeone is offline Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:04 AM
Luxembourg
Joined May 2009
806 Posts
If I remember Well IBcrazy told that the lawmate RX does not work well with the skewplanar wheel
iacei is online now Find More Posts by iacei
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:45 AM
My Goshawk is awesome :)
United Kingdom, Stevenage
Joined Sep 2010
218 Posts
Have a look at this, it has a posting on RC Groups and received a good report.
http://myflydream.com/Home/tabid/36/...5/Default.aspx
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402333
I hope that adds value to your link list

Regards
Sebbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Is ther any websites that can make custom made GroundStations?
(ie....tracking antennas')
since I can't make really fancy ones' some shown here:-)

;-)

jk

LOL

;-)

LINKS?

I saw this one....

http://www.marcusuav.com/trackingantennas.htm

thanks
Sebbie is online now Find More Posts by Sebbie
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:26 PM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Pratorian,

12 inchs and 23 inch extensions are relatively short and wont hurt to badly, but it will hurt. The higher the frequency, the worse the loss. The amount of Loss at 435 MHZ is not bad at all, its very little. By the time you get to 2.4 GHZ everything changes, even short lengths have a lot of loss Just each connector at 2.4 GHZ has loss, which is probably why DPCAV is saying up to 1300 MHZ.

So I would say for those very short coax extensions, if it is for 900 MHZ video, it probably will be OK, not great, but usable..... For 2.4 GHZ video, I would not use any extension no matter how short it is.

One rule of thumb at our frequencies, do whatever it takes to mount the receiver itself at the antenna. You will get best performance if there is no coax at all.

Mike

Man I wish I would have read this earlier. I just bought an 18 inch coax adapter for my 8dbi 900mhz. patch. My patch is n type large connector and my rx's are 1x sma and 1 standard f type coax. So I bought a short length of coax that has the n type on 1 end and an SMA on the other. wouldnt it be kinda difficult to mount a patch or yagi directly to the reciever? seems like it wouls have the potential to snap off the connector under the weight of the antenna. From what I have seen these short coax connections are what most people are using. Can you show me how you would do the rx directly to a patch mounting? is this ok to use for 900mhz.? Also do you think is my best bet for a groundstation battery? a 5200mah 6s lipo regulated to 12v or a 12v 6000mah lead acid battery?
RChelisrule is offline Find More Posts by RChelisrule
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:54 PM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
ok,I think I am going to try to make a self contained ground station it the standard aluminum case, mounted on top of a tripod. let me carify a few questions because after reading this thread and how I shouldn't extend the antenna with coax or use adapters, I am not sure which antenna to use where? and how to power everything? ok first I have a 8dbi 900mhz patch with an n type connector going to the older RV rx w/ sma so I was going to use the 18" n-sma adapter shown in picture 1 below. then on the second rx (Hobby king fox rx) it has a f type coax so I bought a sma to f type adapter to use the LCom 3dbi rubber ducky, is that the best use of what I have or would the adapter harm the signal enough to where the slightly smaller,cheaper HK antenna that came with it be better? see pic 2
second I have 2 tx, both sma. I was going to use the DPCAV v-pole green antenna but it too has coax extended for hookup? should I rethink it and use one of my rubber duckies? ( standard little whip,or HK rubber ducky all shown in pic 3 below? (or even the lcom 3dbi di pole rub. duck shown in pic 3) which tx antenna would you use?
third for the entire ground station I was going to either use a 52000mah 6s lipo battery with http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT this regulator
or just use this 6000mah 12v lead acid? pic 4

Also I have headplay goggles and I have a little 7" screen for the box. I also have pretty much any size computer moniter possiblesince I am the IT director at my company (17,19,24,27") if I can power it for any length of time ( I am thinking of using a 150lb APC UPS that is from my old server setup at work lol)

what would you do?
Any advice would be helpful, I have never flown FPV

RChelisrule is offline Find More Posts by RChelisrule