HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2010, 05:45 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Nice case ATIS and I like the legs idea ,how do you fix them to the case? I also like your sun viser.
Regards Liam.
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2010, 06:29 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
I went to Lowes and picked up the pre made table legs and they carry the leg mounts (4 screws mount them each to the bottom) and I just screw the legs in and stand it up. The visor is 6mm depron with the paper covering...sorta like the Elmers foam board.. nice and light and cuts with an xacto.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,047 Posts
I'm looking for a 20 x 24 x 5 briefcase/box for mine. Does anyone know where I get one of these. I'll just make my own otherwise.
kyle7119 is offline Find More Posts by kyle7119
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:04 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
no idea, I would make it. Thats about the size of mine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:42 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
So finally got my ground station setup. Mounted the inverter on the side, same with the battery. Plenty of space for more goodies.. maybe like an eagle eyes or larger battery.. My goal is to have external switches so the yellow part doesnt have to be removed to power everything up. Wires come up the middle, maybe eventually I'll cut a hole in the side for the wires so I can keep the lid on for seating. Transporting is easy, the tv lays on top and has a bunch of foam to protect the screen. Its held down by bungee cords so its safe.

Set up time is less than 5 minutes which is really nice and I can get everything to my car in one trip (i'm in an apartment and my car is at the end of the block).

ash
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Last edited by ashdec87; Feb 03, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 11:28 AM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Just curious what the implication of rotating a yagi 90 degrees would be to quality of signal. I just got my 2.4GHz setup and video quality is terrible. I just realized that I have my tube rotated and I think the yagi elements should be vertical, not horizontal. I have not had good weather to try again so I thought someone might know.

This is the correct rotation right?
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Feb 04, 2010, 11:44 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,098 Posts
Having a Yagi antenna rotated 90 degrees off would result in horrible signal loss If that is the case, you would have very short range and wondering why your signal was always breaking up. It is very important that all video antennas be oriented vertical, both on the plane and on the ground.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 04, 2010, 11:50 AM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jun 2006
714 Posts
This movie might help:

Antennas 101 - Polarization, Diversity & Gain Patterns (27 min 56 sec)

Cheers

Andy
Andology is offline Find More Posts by Andology
Old Feb 04, 2010, 12:00 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Mike,

I plan to run diversity with 1 aerial veritcal and 1 horizontal. I hoped that would help reduce signal loss in turns when the vTX aerial is tilted out 45* or more in the bank...good idea or not?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2010, 12:12 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
I'd LOVE to own a Van that I could hard mount the Ground Station into the rear.

It wouldn't need a rear window (helps cut out light glare), and I'd have a nice sized flat screen for the display/video feed, and a REALLY comfy seat, for me the pilot, and once perhaps for a spectator.

Could also fit out the Van with Playstation and the rest, a complete ICE configuration, with surround speakers and the like - would look like something out of Pimp My Ride! (on the inside that is).

Outside, would look like any other van, perhaps with just a couple of discreet Antennas, poking out the roof.
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Last edited by jetstreaming; Feb 04, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 01:09 PM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jun 2006
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS View Post
Mike,

I plan to run diversity with 1 aerial veritcal and 1 horizontal. I hoped that would help reduce signal loss in turns when the vTX aerial is tilted out 45* or more in the bank...good idea or not?
Yeah, and maybe set up some aileron / rudder mixing so that you can make turns with virtually no banking... then you can keep everything vertical and have high gain / low gain antenna setup on the diversity instead..

Cheers

Andy
Old Feb 04, 2010, 01:51 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Andy, I am going to have tilting, I fly the radian so no ailerons... all rudder. I need to learn to be easier on the rudder inputs. I love to fly yank and bank and even on a R/E/M plane I try and yank and bank her.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:40 PM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jun 2006
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS View Post
Andy, I am going to have tilting, I fly the radian so no ailerons... all rudder. I need to learn to be easier on the rudder inputs. I love to fly yank and bank and even on a R/E/M plane I try and yank and bank her.
I know what you mean, i must admit, my personal fave type of aircraft to build & fly tend to be high speed delta wing'ed craft so i'm a bit of a yanka-banka myself

Definately want polarised diversity then.. or high gain circular on a tracker

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/an...fi-antenna.php

Cheers

Andy
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:54 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,098 Posts
Your diversity with two antennas would work to minimize dropouts when you bank, but this is not the configuration I would want to fly with. The problem you would have is when you have a dropout on one antenna that is not polarization related, the other antenna that is horizontal would have very little chance of picking up a signal and avoiding the dropout.

What I find more useful is to have two different type of antennas both polarized vertical, one very directional and one not very directional, ( little gain. ). This way, I dont have to constantly aim the antenna when I am at short and medium ranges.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:57 PM
I think my wheels fell off.
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andology View Post
I know what you mean, i must admit, my personal fave type of aircraft to build & fly tend to be high speed delta wing'ed craft so i'm a bit of a yanka-banka myself

Definately want polarised diversity then.. or high gain circular on a tracker

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/an...fi-antenna.php

Cheers

Andy
I hear ya Andy. Thanks to your '101' video, and some other info you posted, I'm in the process of building a 'circular polarized yagi' to mount on my pan & tilt. I might try for 8 - 12 dBi first, R & D from there. Circular seem's to be the way forward for what we're doing.

Geo
Thumb_number is offline Find More Posts by Thumb_number