Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:50 PM
NC114-85EKLS
Joined Apr 2012
199 Posts
I agree with everything you said!

I picked the 1450 case for two reasons:

I already had one.
It will be a challenge!

There will be a heck of a lot of soldering, but the majority of this will be clip based, instead of hard wired. For instance, the rotary switches will have wires soldered directly though terminating in clips directly to my transmitter boards.

The power switches section has been a part of the design since day one, and though I've kicked myself for months over it, I really like its functionality over practicality and its thus become a central part of the design. Being that this will be powered externally via two 5000mah lipos in parallel, I want the ability to only use what I want to use at any given time - no video splitter, no fans, no speakers, no transmitter 3, no monitor 2 and no charger - saving a ton of battery power (though the charger is hard wired to the AC in anyway.)

The "complexity" of this fits the application - Traxxas Summit with a zoomable camera, multiple functions and all-together "technical" side of driving. If this were for a plane or just an all around basher, I would only need two joysticks (camera and drive) and a power button.

Thanks for the input though, I really appreciate it coming from someone who really knows their stuff!

*cheers
krallopian is offline Find More Posts by krallopian
Last edited by krallopian; Feb 11, 2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Replaced series with parallel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:32 PM
I Like Clouds Made Of Limes?
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
806 Posts
3 Switches was enough for me!

16inch 13v TV
Pocket DVR (Needs finishing off, its behind left plastic pot)
Rc305 VTX in case
12v PB cell in backpack below, plugs into the side of the case
12v Case mod cooling fan

All sits on the tripod, i built it so the top folds down, handy for sitting things on (like cup of coffee )

This is just my first go, it came out 'Alright for now'
BenLimeClouds is offline Find More Posts by BenLimeClouds
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:43 PM
I meant to do that
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2011
674 Posts
Nice. I like the felt lining too (at least that's what it looks like) I might have to steal that idea for my charging case.
eMoon is online now Find More Posts by eMoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Christmas Time
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:49 PM
I Like Clouds Made Of Limes?
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
806 Posts
Yes, it's some spare acoustic felt I had left over, you can mould it a little too!
BenLimeClouds is offline Find More Posts by BenLimeClouds
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:57 AM
France
Joined Aug 2010
110 Posts
Hi all,

Here is mine, I wanted something for short and medium range, less than 5 min to install, enough place to store my googles.

Inside:
2x RC305
DVR recorder
Mini diversity
4A battery
LCD 7"

I can use it closed, with ouside RCA plug for googles, the led indicates the power and the 5.5 plug allow me to recharge.

Cheers from France.
voodou is online now Find More Posts by voodou
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:35 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodou View Post
Hi all,

Here is mine, I wanted something for short and medium range, less than 5 min to install, enough place to store my googles.

Inside:
2x RC305
DVR recorder
Mini diversity
4A battery
LCD 7"

I can use it closed, with ouside RCA plug for googles, the led indicates the power and the 5.5 plug allow me to recharge.

Cheers from France.
I have the same LCD 7" as you do, but I'm having a real hard time being able to see the screen in daylight when I'm flying. Do you have the same problem ?

- kim -
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:09 PM
Chris
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2010
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
I have the same LCD 7" as you do, but I'm having a real hard time being able to see the screen in daylight when I'm flying. Do you have the same problem ?

- kim -
I'll have the same in a few days, too.
As I live in sunny Greece, I'll probably have the same problem. Have you tried the ugly DIY cardboard shade?
cmavr8 is offline Find More Posts by cmavr8
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:24 PM
France
Joined Aug 2010
110 Posts
If you really have troubles to see, you can use a sun shade. I usually fly with googles, screen is for visitors.
voodou is online now Find More Posts by voodou
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:00 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
I'll have the same in a few days, too.
As I live in sunny Greece, I'll probably have the same problem. Have you tried the ugly DIY cardboard shade?
I have bought this LCD Sun Hood Shade Sunhood for 7" inch LCD Monitor, but I have not tried it yet. Hopes it makes a difference. Inside my house, the screen looks really good, but outside it looks pretty dark.

- Kim -
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined May 2010
1,039 Posts
I went the stupid simple route to begin with ONE switch to turn everything on and off!
The rx gets velcroed to a 8 ft hunk of 3/4 pvc so it is a bit higher. The monitor can come off it's velcro there in the lid and get mounted on a tripod. The GS also powers my vusix 920 goggles through a DE 3.3 volt regulator.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:16 PM
S.R.V.
United States, FL, Melbourne Beach
Joined Nov 2012
34 Posts
My WIP GS

Here is my simple ground station that is still a WIP.

I have a 9" Phillips LCD, 1.3 Ghz 5 turn IBCrazy Helical Antenna, 900-1300MHz RMRC Rx, and a VuPoint DVR w/ 32gb SD Card installed(Using old ESC to provide 5v power).

I've also got a Master power switch next to the DVR.

It doesn't look pretty ( yet ), but is incredibly functional for the build costs.
krytikul is offline Find More Posts by krytikul
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:04 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,821 Posts
krytikul
....your killin' me, your full of 'tape' plane, now this GroundStation....

hahahahaha....

I really like your style.... (who cares what it looks like, because it works perfectly fine)!!!!
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:31 PM
Radian +2.4Ghz FPV = way to go
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
372 Posts
does the physical size of the antenna have anything to do with range?? like a palm sized 11dbi antenna vs a large 15 inch 11 dbi antenna?
redodedo is offline Find More Posts by redodedo
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:12 PM
S.R.V.
United States, FL, Melbourne Beach
Joined Nov 2012
34 Posts
The physical size changes with a change in the antennas optimal tuned frequency range.

The higher the frequency, the smaller the antenna and the shorter the range. The lower the frequency, the larger the antenna and the further you can go.

@ rclab1

Thanks haha! I'm all about performance over style at the moment. Once I get some more money to invest into FPV I'll start to make things look pretty
krytikul is offline Find More Posts by krytikul
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:30 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Question about ground station

A co-worker just sold me his old Pelican 1600 case for $40 and I took it home and it seems that everything will fit inside including my tripod too.

I have no idea where to start and what shapes i should start cutting the foam inserts at.
I kinda wanted to mount my TBS Discovery quad on the lid somehow on some rails or something like that and have it held there with velcro straps.

Question is I see most putting their monitors in the lid, are you drilling holes through the top and attaching frames to hold the monitor on or is there some way to attach something without having to drill through the lid.

Here's a photo of all my stuff I just set inside the case, any advise on layout would be great.

I bought a retractable hiking pole that extend from 2ft to 4.5 ft that I'll mount the video receiver onto the tip and the handle of it will strap onto the tripod and that will put the receiver about 3ft above the monitor so having the receiver about 5ft above my Dragon Link receiver should work great.
Thanks
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Last edited by jasper7821; Feb 22, 2013 at 03:37 PM.