Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:30 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Very nice Sugarland.
Quote:
the whole "bag of wires" thing just made it look too "hobby"
LOL, Everyone who see my Back Pack GS comments about how professional it looks.
Quote:
The other thing, is that i found when using my ground station, because it was all integrated, i never forgot anything.... Everything is in the case, so i didn't have to go through a massive checklist before leaving the office to make sure i had all the stuff i needed for the job...
That is the same reason I made the Back Pack GS, everything is all in one place. It holds 2 GS batteries, 4 flight batteries for the plane, my Mini DV recorder, RC transmitter as well as the tools, glue and tape I need if I have to repair something along the way. I can get to a location and have my plane in the air and recording in less then 4 minutes consistently, that was the goal of it.
Andology, have you used your GS for FPV and what diversity controller are you using or have you designed your own?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:28 AM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jul 2006
717 Posts
Hiya Tarro,

I saw your backpack thing a while ago but didn't realise that was (one of) your creations till just now (went back through the posts).. I like that, i think it's a great solution, and in fact, if i were to get back into AP, i would look at trying to do it "solo" and charge less money, and that backpack idea would be ideal..

In regards to the using my GS for FPV, no, and in fact, no matter how many years i've been flying around with planes & heli's with cameras onboard, i've never actually flown "FPV".. I'm currently leading up to that.. I've recently switched to Electric from all gas / glow models and my heli is a little too expensive really, not sure how confident i am gonna be trying to fly it FPV. I have a Twinstar II on order which is gonna be my dedicated FPV ship... Can;t wait, especially when i see some of your videos and some of the others around, i get all excited just watching everyone else's videos, let alone the adrenaline when i'm doing it myself!

My diversity reciever is the original BlackWidow AV diversity RX which i think i bought back in 2006'ish... For AP i used 2 X 8dBi patch antennas pointing in slightly different directions (not super long range, but wide coverage was more important to get different angles and framing).. I've modded the Rx so it's got Lipo built in with low batt alarm and made new Carbon Fibre front panel for it.

My new GS i'm building is probably more inline with your toolbox type thing, it's not as "fancy" as my original version, although i'm putting just as much effort into it just coz i always like to out-do myself and try and make everything to the best of my ability, so instead of having (gimicky) servo driven secret hatches that slide out etc, i'm putting more effort into reliability, simplicity and modularity. Realistically, i could just consider my new version GS to be simply a "tv holder with audio" but trying to make it as diverse as poss, not to mention the direction has changed a little for it as hopefully today i should get around $550 paid into my Paypal account which i intend on buying some Headplay goggles with, which i'll power from my GS case...

I'm waiting for some more breadboard to arrive, then i'll be able to test out some other circuits i need to make, then i'll post a vid of the main electronics working for the new GS..

Cheers

Andy
Andology is offline Find More Posts by Andology
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:39 AM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jul 2006
717 Posts
Oh and by the way, i noticed you're using the Craig TV Tarro, is that right? which i think is 15" 16:9?

I measured the telly i've got for my new case and it's 12", but it's 4:3 so i think that's basically the equivilent to a 15" widescreen in terms of viewable area..

If that size is good enough for you then i think mine should be sufficient to fly FPV with (assuming i don't get on with the goggles)..

The telly i bought to use in it (about 2 years ago i bought it, been in the box till recently as i've been travelling around different countries) is originally one for installing in a car (which is nice, - 12v operation)... i think it's a pretty good telly, the only thing is that the viewable angle is reasonably tight, I.E. you need to be looking at it perpendicular for best image, looking down 45 degrees or from the side is not very good, but looking straight at it the picture is pretty good. The other thing is that it doesnt' suffer from the dreaded blue screen scenario during signal loss... well.. it does, but the pic has to get pretty bad (unviewable) before it goes blue, but the cool thing is, it pops back to picture instantly when signal comes back.. It was tricky when i first bought it coz it's not easy to test tellies in the shop for that feature, so it was a bit of a "suck it & see" thing, luckily, it worked out well..

Cheers

Andy
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:20 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I was able to avoid the Blue Screen by using a BNC to VGA converter on my Craig TV. I do not use the TV to fly with, it is for teaching other people to fly FPV or simple view what is going on. Your going to love FPV Andy and the goggles are the only way to fly.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:30 AM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jul 2006
717 Posts
I'm glad you said that Tarro... I've been saving up my Video Production royalties (iStockPhoto) coz my wife won't let me spend "other money" on my hobby so as a result i'm having to buy things bit by bit... the frustrating thing is trying to decide OSD first, LRS first, Goggles first etc etc... the main thing for OSD is to see RSSI (Rx already modded) but initially i'm not going to be going miles away, just around the field while i'm learning / practicing...

Suffice to say, i had decided to go for the goggles & head tracker first, and like you, the GS TV is going to be for A. spectators and B. backup in case for some reason goggles fail during flight... I wouldn't get the headtracker straight away usually but mainly because i'm getting headplay from Future hobbies and may as well combine the order to save on shipping..

Just kinda sitting here with baited breath watching for paypal account to get credited..

So yeah, your comment regarding the goggles helps me to think i'm getting things in the right order, goggles first before OSD..

Cheers,

Andy
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:56 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I tell you Andy, when it comes to Long Range flying I just am not into it right now. I have been out as far as 7000 feet and up as high as 2600 feet and it is cool but I really like to just fly around about 3000 feet away. Right now I am happy just get proficient with the RVOSD and it's Auto Pilot functions and hot dogging around at 2 feet off the deck. I am sure I will get into long range flying, but I want to be sure I am total prepared for any problems that may pop up.
I fly with my Back Pack GS and I take it 4000 feet away and I practice total video lose by turning my Patch antenna away from the plane. The video goes to static and I activate the RTH on the RVOSD and pop up my goggles and start to look for the plane. I can easily get the video back by turning around. I have gotten to the point were I trust the technology and my set up enough to simulate a full blown video failure and not panic. I believe that is the key to successful FPV flying, because when you panic you make stupid mistakes. I would get an OSD with an Auto Pilot as soon as possible, they are worth their weight in gold. Once you are comfortable with the Auto Pilot functions it makes FPV flying even more enjoyable.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:00 PM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jul 2006
717 Posts
i thnk you're absolutely right in regards to the way you're practicing & preparing & developing FPV skills.. i plan to learn the same way, gradually, and in preparing more for the reasons you can't think of than the reasons you can...

As an example, i've seen people on these & other forums who are looking to get into FPV and they've never even flown a plane / heli before!!! Personally i think that's outragious... I've been flying for nearly 20 years planes & heli's and even i am not just going to "jump straight in"... god knows how these guys will stay in the air for more than 2 minutes without ditching it somewhere

My Heli is still pretty new to me (only around 20 flights) and so initially i am proving the platform bit by bit.. I'm pretty comfy with it now, and have sussed perfect Vid Tx locations & mounting and just taking it step by step, proving the reliability of each thing in turn before feeling confident enough to know that the only thing that's gonna cause a problem will be pilot error (and i can handle that) - but technical / mechanical issues while in flight is one thing, and my experience can get me out of most tight spots during flight,... but having issues while FPV??? problems / liabilities & safety concerns are amplified ten fold..

I wanna take it slow, and not rush myself... the weather here is pretty awful at the moment so i've got plenty of time to perfect everything ground based before getting airbourne again..

Cheers

Andy
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:22 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right.....
Pleasanton, Ca
Joined Feb 2007
163 Posts
7 inch Lcd
ikam Lcd hood
AN2414 HIGH GAIN PATCH ANTENNA 2.4Ghz 14dBi
AN2409 HIGH GAIN WHIP ANTENNA 2.4 GHz 9dBi
Duo 2400 Diversity
Spc 5000 mah 11.1 Lipo
Tripod
*EVG920 video goggles*
*19 in. Lcd *
*not shown
Ground Station is currently setup for ground vehicle FPV "Traxxas Summit"

Teamwoody is offline Find More Posts by Teamwoody
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:11 AM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jul 2006
717 Posts
k, so getting somewhere with my electronics now...

Check out vid for progress. V2 FPV Case...

FPV Case - V2 - Electronics Prototyping (19 min 19 sec)
Old Dec 06, 2009, 01:21 PM
Joined Feb 2008
197 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of my Groundstation (it's a work in progress...)
One for the experts here - am I asking for problems mounting my Patch to the flight case lid? Should it be isolated on the rear of the panel?

xpower180 is offline Find More Posts by xpower180
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:17 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpower180 View Post
Here are a couple of pics of my Groundstation (it's a work in progress...)

Do you have any pictures of the guts? I am guessing your receivers are underneath?
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Dec 08, 2009, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Andy its looking impressive already and im eagerly awaiting the next installments of your vids.
Regards Liam.
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
Old Dec 12, 2009, 01:46 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I am going to copy this GS set up.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 01:58 PM
Challenging Convention