Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:56 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andology View Post
k, here's a couple;

Where is that course? Seems VERY familiar.
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:58 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
Bah, i would of brought the pictures from just looking at the ground station
QUIKSILVER is offline Find More Posts by QUIKSILVER
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:15 PM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jul 2006
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
Where is that course? Seems VERY familiar.
Hi, that one was The Thailand Country Club (Bangkok).

It's one of the most exclusive courses in Asia, I did this shoot straight after the Volvo PGA tour or something like that (i don't play / watch golf myself)

They don't really ever have "closed days" so i used helium balloon rather than heli for that job..

It was really windy but came out ok in the end.

Not doing any AP anymore though, i'm back in UK and weather is way more restrictive and issues like insurance / regulation and all that malarky kinda make it too much trouble to be worth it (not the case in Asia - pretty much anything goes)...

I have actually thought about doing a few "small" jobs here & there though now i'm in the UK.. I just don't actually "like" the whole hovering 20 / meters up, i do find it difficult, and dont particularly enjoy it when you're hanging $5,000+ equipment in the air..

I was thinking if i could "master" flying / hovering helicopter via FPV, then i would find it much easier to hold a hover at altitude using fixed / forward looking camera and then having video switch on-board that would flick to the photo camera (would only need tilt, pan i'd use yaw obviously) then i think that would be cool... I wouldn't even need any help then either!..

I'll see how it goes though,. so far, i havn't actually tried FPV, I have just tested my platform and ironed out some interference in 'preparation' for trying the whole FPV for real..

Test Flight 04 - FPV Platform (8 min 12 sec)

That is the last test flight i did and i'm much happier with the lack of interference issues... This is just with crappy $50 camera (my DX201 had to go back - DOA)..

I've not actually had much flight time with this Heli as i'm pretty new to Electric (this thing is 10s lipo modded Logo 14 with Logo 20 stretch and other stuff).. Power to weight ratio is immense though!

Cheers

Andy
Andology is offline Find More Posts by Andology
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:30 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Andoloy, have you ever used a flight stabilization system on your heli, it would take a bit of the load off of you?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 18, 2009, 05:13 PM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jul 2006
717 Posts
No, (i'm a bit of a traditionalist lol ) but yeah, i have considered something like the Helicommand... i mean, the video i just posted was on a pretty windy (gusty, the worst kind) sort of day, and realistically, i wouldn't attempt to take a photo in those conditions, in fact, the gusts were so bad, ordinarily, i wouldn't have even left the house to go fly, but my borther-in-law came up for the weekend to visit and he really wanted to see it fly (he'd never seen RC helicopter fly before) so i kinda "felt obliged" (like you do)... and i kinda felt like i needed to test the final changes i had made from previous flights where i had tried different things to get rid of various kinds of interference (noisy power, noisy EMF from motor, and vibration)...

I think if i like FPV with Heli and feel confident doing it, then i would definately consider investing in something like helicommand and maybe i'd feel more inspired to offer AP services again Via my new(ish) company JoopMedia.tv (i let my old AP company lapse, didn't bother renewing domain name etc as i came out of Asia market and moved to Cyprus, which was pretty shite all round so didn't bother...

I have half the stuff here ready for Twinstar II which will be my "toy" for FPV, and i actually enjoy flying planes much more than heli's (more relaxing)...

Only prob, Helicommand is like 400 or something... fair old whack!

Cheers

Andy
Andology is offline Find More Posts by Andology
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:37 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
Andology, I must say that your AP Ground Station is simply amazing!!! Since you're saying that you're already making another one for FPV purpose...can we get some sneak previews yet?

Cheers mate!

Sebastien
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:09 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Here are 2 pictures of my Stationary GS, the monitor works awesome outside, I am going to field test it tomorrow.
Tarro - did you uncase the Craig before putting it in the box? For me to do so I need another 1/2 inch...

If you did - did you simply let the control buttons on top of the set hang there - same question about the inputs.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:43 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Tarro - did you uncase the Craig before putting it in the box? For me to do so I need another 1/2 inch...

If you did - did you simply let the control buttons on top of the set hang there - same question about the inputs.
I only used the front of the case to hold the LCD screen I cut out the area that holds the buttons and glued it to the top. I use a BNC to VGA converter powered by a Castle Creations BEC because it runs off 5 volts. The converter keeps the TV from going to blue screen when it loses the signal. I use an Eflite watt meter to keep track of the battery.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:35 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
I only used the front of the case to hold the LCD screen I cut out the area that holds the buttons and glued it to the top. I use a BNC to VGA converter powered by a Castle Creations BEC because it runs off 5 volts. The converter keeps the TV from going to blue screen when it loses the signal. I use an Eflite watt meter to keep track of the battery.
What size battery are you using?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:38 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Quote:
What size battery are you using?
Never mind... I got the answer from the Craig thread.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:38 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Mine for now, though I did not make it.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:42 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
Mine for now, though I did not make it.
You need one of those craig flat screens!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127942

I'd like to see a breakdown description of your set up, it's a bit different.
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:51 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Break down of what I am using.

99 toyota tacoma powering a TV and ground station.

Ground station consist of:
2x 2.4ghz recievers
1 oracle
Rx(s) are out on the end of a PVC pipe contraption mounted on a tripod
both powered by the car battery
I have a 14 dbi patch antenna on the way from range video to add to it.

A toshiba 15inch (i think) tv pluged in to an inverter connected to the car battery.

This is not the final setup but what I used to test everything and get a taste of FPV.
I have Rvision goggle coming from Range Vidoe also. Those will be a major upgrade to the TV.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:55 AM
Gravity always laughs last
USA, PA, Milford
Joined Feb 2008
262 Posts
Screen Glare

I picked up one of these and think it's great for the price. Decent as a TV too; in the shop a least.

But what can I use to cut down the reflection glare from the sun? Cheap or free is the best solution. Have the same problem with my laptop outdoors.

RichK
AKA cadzilla lowtek
cadzilla is offline Find More Posts by cadzilla
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:07 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
I've seen alot of people put black painted card board around the screen. That should make like a dark room affect.