HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:34 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Here's my attempt.
Monitor is a 7" LCD, and can be detached and stored in the box.
In the box is my video splitter (12V), 3 fans (One sucks in at the bottom right, one blows out the bottom left, and another blows out the top. All 12V. I have a BEC in there to power a USB charger for my goggles. I have a video switch, to chose to either view the video out from ym HDD recorder, or else a direct feed from the video Tx. My box has 2 spare video/audio outputs, inacse someone with goggles or a recorder wants to watch. At the moment, it has the one 900mhz video Rx, but that will be doubled when EagleEyes finally makes it's appearance.

It has one master power switch, and I am in the process of building a current reverse checker, with red and green LED to indicate if I've messed something up.

Powered by one input power connector, which wants a 12V supply (Either a Lipo, or a 12V Lead battery (in photo)). I have a 36ah car battery, but that weighs more than me! So, looking for a smaller battery, but bigger than the one photoed.

HDD recorder not in the picture, as it's blown up. Long story. Waiting for replacement.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:51 PM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jun 2006
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratorian View Post
it looks really good
Thanks (assuming you're talking about mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Beautiful, can we see the newer GS? Please.
Hmm... i really want to... Basically the case part with modded telly and main structure is done (used same leather covering as in my original version)... it's looking real nice...

Essentially, all the electronics are sitting (litterally) in front of me now on breadboard.. Suffice to say though, there are more LED's than i'd like to count (all controls will be backlit for night flying) and i'm running out of RAM on the microcontroller (only 549 lines of program but it's only 2kb!! ..

It's very different to the original though.. No built in controller, Video RX is detachable (but internally mounted), the larger TV screen has a sunshade (F*%king genius mechanical action if i dont' mind saying myself) lol and it has stereo speaker system with amp build in (i bought that circuit as a kit so i kinda cheated there!

Hmm... whatelse.. oh yeah, i'm gonna be running 5000mhA 3s Lipo (original case uses 2 X 6v gel cells in series)

It's much lighter (less than half the weight) much more efficient on power, and the new version will have Video splitter / amp built in (all the parts are here ready, just gotta get the panels CNC machined, but can't do that till my cool & sexy Lamptron Vandle resistant switch gets here so i can check measurements etc for milling parameters.

Oh yeah, and the backlight feature is light sensitive, so they auto illuminate in the dark

The other prob is that i've written a couple of new sub-routines so i can have digital volume control (up/down buttons vs POT) but i'm fast running out of input / output pins on the microcontroller (16 max)... may have to lose the current sensor for the external power supply jack (illuminated when you plug your goggles / Rx into it and feed power from the batteries)

LOL, it's funny actually, i just looked at my code for the processor and there's like 120 lines of code just for the sub-routines that deal with the cool battery getting low warnings lol, god i'm sad...

Anyway, i'll maybe take some interim pics tomorrow, as come to think of it, i've hardly taken any at all of the build so far..

(oh, and to give you an idea of the quality i'm putting into this little gem, even the sunshade material i took to a local lady to have it silk lined LOL..

Cheers

Andy
Andology is offline Find More Posts by Andology
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:06 AM
Electronics slayer
Reading, UK
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
Nucking Futs

I'll bet it's sweet looking though.

Waiting for build photos with baited breath.
SouthPawPaul is offline Find More Posts by SouthPawPaul
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:28 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPawPaul View Post
Nucking Futs

Sounds totaly Nucking Futs i agree

Puts my crap laptop to shame
QUIKSILVER is offline Find More Posts by QUIKSILVER
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:47 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Damn, Andology that sounds like something a German would make.
I am a big believer in the KISS theory of design, Keep It Simple Stupid.
I can't wait to see that bad boy in action, keep us posted.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:54 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPawPaul View Post
Nucking Futs

I give up. I need to chuck my stuff out after seeing that.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:36 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,129 Posts
That is impressive Andology. I did not know anyone had built such a computerized and automatic station. I cant wait to see the next version. I'm with quicksilver, its hard to compete with that, I just give up now

I hope others dont stop posting thier stations after this, because even though they may not be as amazing as what Andology did, 99.9 % of us could never build something like this. We still need to see ground stations and ideas that the rest of us can build !!!!!!!!!!

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:12 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Andology

total James Bond style

very very cool
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:09 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,665 Posts
Here is one 99.9 % of us could build

scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Last edited by scrape; Nov 18, 2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:32 AM
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Sep 2007
296 Posts
thats awesome! building such an intricate ground station is like a hobby by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andology View Post
here's my old Ground Station.. Designed & used for my Aerial Photography business..

http://vimeo.com/7675601

I'm just finishing up on a much sexier version with bigger screen, more modular, and geared more towards FPV..

Anyway, check it out, see what you think.

Cheers

Andy
spyder11 is offline Find More Posts by spyder11
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:44 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
So Andology, do you control the Heli from that GS or just the P/T on the camers?
Your GS looks and sounds like R2D2's great, great, great, grandfather.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:18 PM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jun 2006
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
So Andology, do you control the Heli from that GS or just the P/T on the camers?
Your GS looks and sounds like R2D2's great, great, great, grandfather.
It was built originally for AP, and i would fly my GSR (26cc gass monster) and my wife would use the case with the client to line up & take the shots.. The Pan/Tilt gimble i made is totally 360 continous rotation (self contained) so it didn't really matter what orientation i hovered in (or wind direction as much of the time i'd use my 4m diameter helium balloon)..

Obviously, i could use whatever channel i wanted from the base station, so for example, the zoom in/out could be the throttle, the right gimble would be aileron / elevator (just put the spring back in the elevator control) and it's good to go... Inside the original FF9 still has all the headers for adding other stuff, so for example a lead coming out from trainer to plug in head tracker etc..

I have not actually tried using it for FPV, and the screen is only like 7" or something (which is perfect for lining up photo shot, but not what i would call sufficient for "full blown" FPV flight. (although it has Video out so you could just plug goggles into it.

The other thing is that i never made a sunshade for the original case as the way i used it was my wife was usually indoors (in the holiday villa, golf course club-house, hotel lobby etc) and i made a relay station with the diversity Rx that would then transmit to the case using another video Tx... kept the whole thing real professional from the client's point of view.

In regard to the R2D2 resemblence, i'm sorry to say that i've kinda got carried away with the "next gen" GS too when it comes to the blips & bleeps... Only this time, i'm using 20 segment bargraph display for visual feedback for modes & batt level etc..

just been going through all the inputs / outputs of the microcontroller and even if i lose the current sensor for the external jack (and just have jack light activated by the plug break connection instead) i'm still not going to have enough inputs / outputs left over for the digital volume up/down

i just wanted to keep the panels as clean as poss and not have big-ass dials sticking out for volume... i'm sure i'll come up with something....

Cheers chaps.

Andy
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:36 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,665 Posts
Hey Andy,

Fantastic looking case, very nice job.
If your photos are anything like that case I like to see some.

Thanks
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:01 PM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jun 2006
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape View Post
Hey Andy,

Fantastic looking case, very nice job.
If your photos are anything like that case I like to see some.

Thanks
k, here's a couple;
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:46 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andology View Post
k, here's a couple;
Nice.