Old Nov 05, 2009, 07:36 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,828 Posts
here is a picture

this uncased octopus is powered by a 12 volt lipo
large mah to to maintain 12 volts

funny but my experiments show me over 12 volts or under is not as good as as close to 12 as possable , so without regulator i try to have my large lipo charged to close to 12 volts. Its always the first to be turned on

same goes with my video tx, but that is the last to be turned on, because I use as small mah battery for that as possable

it powers the oracle, video splitter, and one video rx

the other video rx has its own 12 volt battery.

the goggles have its own as well but will one day remove it and put in a larger pack

DVR has its own batttery as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
I'll probably go with the 'deans for all' option, but ... do you solder all the wires to one deans? (All the grounds to one pin, and all the positives to the other) Or do you have one wire off the 'input' deans, and then solder all the outputs to one point off that wire?
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2009, 07:00 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks guys. I took a bit of everyones advice... And have made this:

I'm really happy with it now... Seems a lot more easy to manage than my last creation. All secure and quite neat, I think. And if I need to expand, I just make a new one, and connect it to one of the outputs.

Each 'octopus' leg is a different length, based on the size of my ground station, and the placement of some components. I'm a bit worried about noise.... All off one battery, and I have a BEC in there, and will be adding two computer fans to extract and suck in air.. Plus digital HDD video recorder, video splitter, USB charge (off BEC) for goggles, 2x (currently only one though) video Rx's, and the EagleEyes and it's servos. So, a bit worried about noise.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Nov 13, 2009, 04:38 AM
Darwin
Joined Aug 2002
755 Posts
More gents more
CrocEnd is online now Find More Posts by CrocEnd
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:10 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Here are 2 pictures of my Stationary GS, the monitor works awesome outside, I am going to field test it tomorrow.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 16, 2009, 03:45 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Thats 1 serious looking ground station Tarro! The Yellow gives it a futuristic, jet fighter styleee.

You could finish off the look if you was to fit speakers into those recesses, to the left and right of the monitor, in the side sections.
Or even component HUD items, ie: artificial horizon or graphical attitude of your plane in flight.

Looks quite cumbersone and heavy though, is it easy enough to carry in the field?
Or are you able to run your base station from your living room, where it sits, after chucking your plane out the window?
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:45 AM
Joined Jan 2009
215 Posts
Tarro

You have a good picture there! how do you manage to carry that box? you can get these boxes with small wheels, could save your back.

Regards
Njoro is offline Find More Posts by Njoro
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:56 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
My Stationary GS weighs about 23 pounds, the box is a Stanley Fat Max tool box I got from HomeDepot. It is lite and very easy to care.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:53 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
11,046 Posts
Thats awesome Tarro, my box weighs 46 pounds Its difficult to carry, but doable... I was going to add another 12 volt 7.5 AH battery, but when it hit 46 pounds I had to cut it off there, over 50 pounds would just make it unmanageable I like your sunshade made from coroplast, I might have to borrow that idea What kind of screen did you use ?

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:07 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Thanks.
I used a Craig 15" TV I bought at CVS for $150 here is the thread on it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127942
The sunshade is simply velcroed on and stores in the box nicely, I am still adding things to the box but I don't think the over all weight will exceed 28 pounds.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:16 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
11,046 Posts
Yeah, I remember that TV, that was a gret buy. How did you get past the Blue screen of death ??

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:19 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
With a BNC to VGA converter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nc.-_-81381027
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:21 PM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jul 2006
717 Posts
here's my old Ground Station.. Designed & used for my Aerial Photography business..

My (old) AP Ground-Station (7 min 36 sec)

I'm just finishing up on a much sexier version with bigger screen, more modular, and geared more towards FPV..

Anyway, check it out, see what you think.

Cheers

Andy
Andology is offline Find More Posts by Andology
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:26 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
it looks really good
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:32 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Beautiful, can we see the newer GS? Please.