to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:14 AM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
Hey does anyone have any tips on how to allow a directional antenna like a patch to rotate on a tripod without getting the coax cable wrapped around it, limiting its degree of motion?

I'm trying to figure out what I can do to get more rotation out of my patch on my GS. Right now it's good for 1 360 degree rotation in one direction before the cable is wound too tightly around the tripod shaft.
I saw a video of a guy flying a plane in circles around him and his antenna tracker followed the plane as far as it could go clockwise, then it automatically and quickly spun back around counter clockwise to pick up the planes path again. The cables would never wind up.

Does anyone know what tracking unit does that? Eagle Tree maybe?
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:23 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,206 Posts
Yes, Eagle Tree does that. I imagine most of them do.

Otherwise, You would need a slip ring to keep cable from getting wrapped around too much.

http://www.alphasliprings.com/listca...p?idcategory=1
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:26 PM
Sverige
Joined May 2009
74 Posts
This is my new ground station. I wanted something fairly portable, easy to use and quick to setup and this is what I came up with.

Specs:
- 2x Rangevideo 1.3 Ghz vRx with saw-filter mod
- 1x 8dBi patch from Rangevideo, tuned to 1280 as per IBCrazy's guide.
- 1x SPW CP omni antenna
- EagleEyes FPV Station for diversity and videosplitter. I have mounted extra LED status indicators and select button on the outside to easily see and change A/V input. (soldered in parallel with the LED's and button on the board)
- Fatshark RCV922 AE goggles
- Sony VRD-MC6 DVD-recorder
- 1x extra A/V + power output for external monitor or passenger goggles
- Powered with 4400mAh LiPo or external PSU, selectable by switch.

I will later replace the patch with a CP antenna, probably a crosshair or helical but haven't decided yet.

/Andreas
andreas77 is offline Find More Posts by andreas77
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:29 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas77 View Post
This is my new ground station. I wanted something fairly portable, easy to use and quick to setup and this is what I came up with.

Specs:
- 2x Rangevideo 1.3 Ghz vRx with saw-filter mod
- 1x 8dBi patch from Rangevideo, tuned to 1280 as per IBCrazy's guide.
- 1x SPW CP omni antenna
- EagleEyes FPV Station for diversity and videosplitter. I have mounted extra LED status indicators and select button on the outside to easily see and change A/V input. (soldered in parallel with the LED's and button on the board)
- Fatshark RCV922 AE goggles
- Sony VRD-MC6 DVD-recorder
- 1x extra A/V + power output for external monitor or passenger goggles
- Powered with 4400mAh LiPo or external PSU, selectable by switch.

I will later replace the patch with a CP antenna, probably a crosshair or helical but haven't decided yet.

/Andreas
I am new to FPV, I saw many ppl have two video receivers, may i ask why need two of them?
lrplin is offline Find More Posts by lrplin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HK H-quad
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:38 PM
NKK for short...
United States, IN, Mitchell
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrplin View Post
I am new to FPV, I saw many ppl have two video receivers, may i ask why need two of them?
You don't "need" two of them, but the purpose is generally diversity: using one omni antenna and one directional antenna.
The omni will have the best reception near and especially behind yourself, the directional antenna is used for flying further away and usually has a narrow(-ish) beam width, depending on its gain.
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkkromhof View Post
You don't "need" two of them, but the purpose is generally diversity: using one omni antenna and one directional antenna.
The omni will have the best reception near and especially behind yourself, the directional antenna is used for flying further away and usually has a narrow(-ish) beam width, depending on its gain.
Thank you. So, there will be two Video ouputs, and I need to conjunct them into one, connect to the TV, etc. correct?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:20 PM
NKK for short...
United States, IN, Mitchell
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrplin View Post
Thank you. So, there will be two Video ouputs, and I need to conjunct them into one, connect to the TV, etc. correct?
Not really, you need a diversity controller - it automatically switches to the best video signal.

If you're really new to FPV then don't worry about this and just stick with one omni antenna for now, keep it simple.
The more complicated your setup gets the more things can go wrong. Start slowly and gradually add components to your setup as you get more experienced.
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:24 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkkromhof View Post
Not really, you need a diversity controller - it automatically switches to the best video signal.

If you're really new to FPV then don't worry about this and just stick with one omni antenna for now, keep it simple.
The more complicated your setup gets the more things can go wrong. Start slowly and gradually add components to your setup as you get more experienced.
Great!
Thank you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
+2 on what NKK said.

BTW, my whole family is from Stockon
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
+2 on what NKK said.

BTW, my whole family is from Stockon
Not many rc pilots in Stockton I knew five of them, and I am the only one interesting in FPV.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,021 Posts
A couple of pics of my Groundstation.

I wanted something portable, and this sort of "evolved" after a couple of years flying FPV.

It's really just a backpack with a cardboard box inside. I wanted it portable, easy to carry, and not to look too much like a security operation. I used to just screw a patch antenna on top of it, but now i've gone to CP antennas, so hence the tripod.

sub.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
This is Phase 1 of my GS.

A simple setup with room to expand (and beautify...).

The Sharp LC-10A2U 10" TV monitor has a brightness of 450 cm/m so it is easy to see in full sunlight. The cables connections stick out of the back of the monitor so I had to make a bracket. I made the bracket tilt-able for best viewing angle. Unfortunately the monitor cant sit flush inside the lid of the case which limits my space in bottom of the case.

I put all of the power supplies, battery and terminal block on the right side where the monitor wont hit when lid is closed. I made a floor to hide the wires and it is low enough that the monitor does not hit the VRx and future equipment mounted to the floor when lid is closed. Then there is that ridiculously unwieldy and cumbersome Eagle Eyes contraption the just wont fit anywhere you want it to.....

A single button powers everything up and voltage from the power supply is displayed. A 40mm cabinet fan cools the power supply. The battery is a 5000mah 4S.

I have two recording devices - A JVC MiniDV camcorder which is hard-wired to the video and power system, and a Foxtech DV-1 SD recorder. I spent an hour building an aluminum box for the DV-1, only to find out that I could have ordered one from Foxtech that already comes in a case for $6 more !! Oh well, my DVR box came out pretty good anyway.

This is extremely functional and will supplement my Fat Shark Predator goggles. I have room for any additional antenna tracking apparatus in the future.

Last edited by wannabe; May 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:48 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
whats the silver box on the bottom with the SD card?

nice work man, clean looking
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:30 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
A couple of pics of my Groundstation.

I wanted something portable, and this sort of "evolved" after a couple of years flying FPV.

It's really just a backpack with a cardboard box inside. I wanted it portable, easy to carry, and not to look too much like a security operation. I used to just screw a patch antenna on top of it, but now i've gone to CP antennas, so hence the tripod.

sub.
Awesome setup!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj