This thread is privately moderated by staggerwing, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 16, 2009, 08:04 AM
In NY's beautifull hills
Thread OP
Discussion

H9 85" Taylorcraft

I converted this awhile back & might as well add it to my blog.
I chose the Welgard C 6362-10 from BP Hobbies @ $136 as it seemed to have the features I was looking for plus support from BP in NJ .
(2) 6600 MAH EP 8c 4s lipos wired in series for 8s came from Xus @$75 ea when its owner was purging stock of his lesser c lipos awhile back.
ESC is the Hextronic 100 amp from United Hobbies @ $70 which despite some negative feedback here in RCG used above 40 volts, programmed & is working flawlessly for me @ 8s (33 volts unloaded)

So roughly $350 for major components---the cost of a G 26 ?
RTF weight--15 lbs 4 oz
RPM'S @ WOT w/ 20X10 APCE---5500; watts---1300--
Estimated thrust--14 lbs
.03 amps @ rest, 40 amps @ WOT
Temps--- motor after run--barely warm----ESC-cool to touch
2100 mah NIMH RX batt is separate.

RE-pics;
The (2) batts extend thru 3/8" firewall on alum batt trays which allows easy batt removal & CG adjust & are velcrowed in place.
I cut the one piece 3 1/2" motor extension from cedar--(4 1/2 oz) , & used (4) 3/16 studs threaded @ both ends---I'm not fond of the hardware store threaded rod/spacer routine for these larger motors whereby this solid spacer puts only (1) stress on the fasteners---tension---no torsion.
The arming device is an accessable batt + wire at the bottom of the cowl w/ 4mm connectors.
For the cowl I used (4) 5/16" dia rare earth magnets --along w/ the existing fuse tabs to position & rotationally lock in the cowl---those magnets have incredible strength !
Batt access is an easy 30 seconds removing spinner, prop & cowl.
This is a very enjoyable, predictable flying model & looks great in the air
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2010, 08:21 AM
Hello again Staggerwing;
firstly I hope you are well
I interested and jumped to big scale ones and had a H9 Taylorcraft last weekend after BH texan.
But it is difficult to find giant standoffs , because arf kit doesn't includes them
( advertisings write "never need any modification to electric version and all hardware included , but don't believe(!)...)
Any way little problem , so when I looked for electric conversion of H9 Taylorcraft on the internet,I noticed your picture of standoffs .
I think , will make standoffs myself or closed mount box from hardwood .

I also will need them on the BH AT-6

Best regards
Apr 04, 2010, 12:31 PM
In NY's beautifull hills
Thread OP

standoff

Ersin,
You don't need hard wood if you cut out as I did--spruce, popular, mohagany, etc will be fine. I cut a long length which is much easier than dealing w/ a short piece, then have a piece I can just cut to len for future .
I use a table saw--if anyone trys this, be very carefull.
Bob

Quick Reply