Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:57 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,543 Posts
Axi 2203/40 for VPP

Where can I get this motor, I see a couple guys on here using them, sorry for the double post!
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:32 PM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
317 Posts
CC settings for Hacker A10-9L

Shorter wiring between the motor and ESC and between the ESC and lipo will improve many aspects of ALL ESC and motor combos....not to mention saving weight. Same thing goes for eliminating connectors and questionable quality solder joints. Adjusting software settings MAY increase tolerance for less than ideal mechanical setups, but should not be considered a "cure" for bad mechanical setups.

All that aside.....for the A10-9L and CC Phx 10, don't use the newest software. Use 2.19.....when I check my ESCs with Castle Link, I can see software options from Version 1.5x through 3.2x, so there should be plenty of room to update software from any version on the Phx 10 (this is not the case on some of the bigger ESCs).

My settings -
2.19 software
Fixed endpoints
High throttle response (8)
Normal timing (5)
12 khz
Custom Start Power (90%)

Idle trim authority at 100%, high endpoint at 84%, low endpoint at 71% - using JR 12X (all JR and Spektrum should be the same).

Power up at full idle (stick and trim), wait for ESC to arm, then rapidly advance idle trim to full, and the motor should immediately start and run at a fast idle. Move the idle trim to the middle, and the motor should be running at a slow idle. Minor adjustments to the low endpoint might be needed to get the slowest possible idle with the throttle trim in the middle.

I have 4 A10-9Ls and an A10-13L that all run flawlessly with these settings.

I also use throttle cut or throttle hold so I can stop the idle by flipping a switch (turning on throttle cut or hold).

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
Team Castle Creations
DaveL322 is offline Find More Posts by DaveL322
Old Jan 02, 2012, 07:26 PM
Brasil
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
DaveL322, thanks a lot for your clarification. I love you guys because, besides being great pilots, you're always willing to elucidate our question with patience. I'm grateful for that. I wish you a very happy new year.

Flávio
faurog is offline Find More Posts by faurog
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
249 Posts
Here"s a few pics of my new mx2 just got it put together, still waiting on the glue to dry A special thanks to Mike for the quick shipping over the holidays. david in nc
dmaaero is offline Find More Posts by dmaaero
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:56 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
That came out great!

Will you be adding spades to it?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:24 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin McGRath View Post
Hey guys,

Here is a short video of me playing around with my "tvvpp" mx2 I love this thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00y0q...e_gdata_player

Also a picture of our mx2s from JR indoor (mine blue and Rj's orange)

Devin McGrath
Great video Devin. Do you have any infomation on this plane and setup?

Thanks
Terry
air mail rcg is offline Find More Posts by air mail rcg
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:51 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air mail rcg View Post
Great video Devin. Do you have any infomation on this plane and setup?

Thanks
Terry
Setup is:
Hacker A10-9L
Castle Phoenix 10 ESC
Thunder Power 2S 325mah 65C batt
Mamo VPP unit, 8" blades
Custom thrust-vectoring mount
Futaba S3156/S3154 servos
Futaba R6106HF receiver

Little things... Radical RC bias arm on ailerons, T-rex 250 ball-links on every control linkage... and a magical one-off mixed batch of paint that can never be replicated. That's the most important part.

RJ
(This message also approved by Devin... makes it easy when we built matching airplanes!)
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:52 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaaero View Post
Here"s a few pics of my new mx2 just got it put together, still waiting on the glue to dry A special thanks to Mike for the quick shipping over the holidays. david in nc
Looks very cool! I'm not used to seeing EPP MX2's... can't wait to get one flying for myself.

RJ
Old Jan 08, 2012, 05:52 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
Setup is:
Hacker A10-9L
Castle Phoenix 10 ESC
Thunder Power 2S 325mah 65C batt
Mamo VPP unit, 8" blades
Custom thrust-vectoring mount
Futaba S3156/S3154 servos
Futaba R6106HF receiver

Little things... Radical RC bias arm on ailerons, T-rex 250 ball-links on every control linkage... and a magical one-off mixed batch of paint that can never be replicated. That's the most important part.

RJ
(This message also approved by Devin... makes it easy when we built matching airplanes!)
Thanks RJ. I know what my next project is going to be. I can't wait to see you guys fly this year at the ETOC. You two are going right?

Just a thought. Would you consider selling yours' after the ETOC complete unit. Or maybe Devins'. You could PM me if you like.
air mail rcg is offline Find More Posts by air mail rcg
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Feb 2009
27 Posts
Trust Vector Unit Setup

Hello RJ,

I have rebuilt your Trust Vector Unit

Now I have a question to the setup.
How much degrees can you rotate the vector?

I'm using a extra servo for the vector.

Thanks,
Matthias
21Matthias21 is offline Find More Posts by 21Matthias21
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:52 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
On an MX2, set it so max vectoring puts the prop about 1/4" away from the edges of the nose horizontal fuse. That's a good starting point at least!

RJ
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
If i recall correctly i think RJ posted a few pages back about 40 degrees. I think he said to stop the rotation just before the blades hit the horizontal fuse.

Hope this helps
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
LOL.... RJ types fasater than I.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:54 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air mail rcg View Post
Thanks RJ. I know what my next project is going to be. I can't wait to see you guys fly this year at the ETOC. You two are going right?

Just a thought. Would you consider selling yours' after the ETOC complete unit. Or maybe Devins'. You could PM me if you like.
We'll be there for sure!

Honestly, I normally wouldn't consider selling them. We both put a ton of time into building them, and usually end up flying that same plane until it's time to build a new one for the next year's ETOC. It's possible though! I keep telling myself I'll have two ready for the contest, and in that case, I might let one go.

RJ
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:53 PM
salt lake ut
Joined Oct 2009
63 Posts
just finished

Now for the questions!

I set my cg just a little further back than recc 1" fwd of canopy- im at 2/3" fwd of canopy or 1/3" back of recc. Feels right to me but I is this "bad?"

how precice are the futaba 3114 in centering? (mm on aileron please)
pretty easy to guess how far off by comparing to3 mm thick horiz fuse
anybody bench or guess how much static thrust recc hacker puts out?

In k.e. it takes a bit more rudder than other birds i have flown to hold altitude.
just out of curiosity, any comments on what designers are shooting for? freestyle birds different than f3p birds in this regard? personal pref? no complaints, have debated what feels right for rudder req for some time, just curious!

my commments/setup-
auw 132 grams no batt

great kit fancy foam! perfect cutting, etc hate to admit it but bought it to try somethign different from epp and was curious what a pro caliber plane was like (wanna be like rj)

set up- 3- 7 gram $3 dynam servos
hk 8-10 amp esc
hk 2610 2000kv s-line motor
gws ep 8040

use it w 2 cell nanotech 460 mah

did nothing fancy to get to weight. very happy w bird. got a fair bit of experience w epp, will make a epp mx-2 next. first try with depron. my fingers are a bit "crispy"

I am a little scared to crash it, so havent been willing to really try to ring it out. got 5 packs thru it and am getting 8-9 minutes but that will come down as they are pretty tame flights so far. guessing 7 min.

as you can tell i did cut some corners w gear.

couple comments-

0 coupling in k.e.!-very well balanced bird

.pretty cool for $56 you can get same airframe as pros!

waterfalls are very straight

servos- the 7 gram dynams are great for epp- strong and light-sim/same specs as futabahad pretty good luck w em in past- for depron I can now see what people are taikng about w the centering. I am getting on 110 mm aileron 1mm off-around 1 degree- it is expecially bad if you nudge stick, or dont snap stick back-I can feal it on elevator w depron- epp not so much. I dont have full aileron servo throw but am pretty close (85%)

I had a set futaba 3114 2 years ago, but wasnt as "fussy" as i am now.

also noticed my spectrum controller (dx6i) has a dead band in ailerons only from 0-5 degrees stick deflection- i can see this in monitor mode- aka carrot doesnt move untill i get to 5 degrees right aileron. I have two of these controllers and went back to my older one.
which doesnt have the dead band.

anyway point is that you can really see it(precision) w depron what I wasnt seeing in epp.

hk motor works good so far, im at 5000 ft it benches @ 9 oz thrust. at sea level you will probably do 15%ish better. in air outdoors it is a little light thrust wise on 8" but reasonable, but indoors suspect it is good. have put a 9050 prop on it. was able to tape it, you got an erasure sized amount to get the tape on. gws ep props work great on built in prop, i think weight was 18 grams. doesnt heat up much but it has been 32 degrees flying.
brokeneck is offline Find More Posts by brokeneck
Last edited by brokeneck; Jan 11, 2012 at 12:58 AM.