HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:25 PM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,099 Posts
Just have to get my hands on this baby and see what works best.
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:09 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
Look up Glenn2626 on RC Groups. He installs the micro jst's for a very low fee. I had him do quite a few for me. I have the tools, but I don't enjoy dealing with those tiny plugs. Glenn does a great job and has a quick turn around. He can make you bare leads or install the jst's on your components.

Michael
EnzoFalconi is offline Find More Posts by EnzoFalconi
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:47 AM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,099 Posts
Thank you Michael, I know what you are saying about not enjoying the "small plugs". Once they release this kit I may just drop Glenn a line if I find I wish to go to the JR servo's. I have never tried them and this may be a good plane to start with
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:18 AM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,554 Posts
is it milled or solid???
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:49 AM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
It will come unmilled. Milling this airplane makes it even floatier of course, but it really pulls it below its optimum weight. A little inertia helps 3D a lot. Devin and I discussed this at KIEF and agreed we don't see a need to lighten it at all.

RJ
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Oct 23, 2009, 09:30 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Joined Jul 2003
1,554 Posts
thanks for the info, Mastercard in hand waiting! LOL
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:07 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Haha thanks for the interest and patience guys. In talking to Mike, it sounds like he will be slaving over a hot CNC machine all weekend to get these kits ready to go!
Old Oct 24, 2009, 02:23 AM
Downtown Minneapolis
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2009
197 Posts
Well guys, sort of embarrassed to post this question but I am just fascinated as heck about this slow indoor 3d flying. Fly helis mostly, but spent the summer flying a epp Leadfeather Yak and am now hooked. Will also be lucky enough to fly indoors this winter. So I am ready to put together another Yak, but then started doing research on kits that the pros like all of you use, and I think this is the one I want.

Question? Though it would serve this plane a tremendous injustice to put cheap electronics in her, cheap is what I got. Will the silly HXt500 servos and my cheap comparable Hobbycity Motor work just fine? AR6110? I have so many ofthese sevos and motors and 10amp esc's from build freiends Yak's all this fall. I am no expert but I am flying a lot of light 3d and hovering. I don't mind flying a less than ideal setup as it makes me a better pilot. Could a MX2 fly on a less than stellar setup?
iAdam is offline Find More Posts by iAdam
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:05 AM
Fast and getting faster!
Joined Jul 2003
1,554 Posts
Adam, I do know that the 2204 Hobbycity Motor with the mounts built into the can is a great little motor. I`m using them on a FF yak 55 with a 2 cell 350 TP pack, the motor has serious pull, with a 3 cell its insane LOL. I have used the hxt servos and the turnigy servos (currently working with them in some club trainer planes), and they were a waste, 3 out of 10 do not center at all. I agree with the guys on here either a jr servo, or a 3114 futaba for servos.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:07 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAdam
Well guys, sort of embarrassed to post this question but I am just fascinated as heck about this slow indoor 3d flying. Fly helis mostly, but spent the summer flying a epp Leadfeather Yak and am now hooked. Will also be lucky enough to fly indoors this winter. So I am ready to put together another Yak, but then started doing research on kits that the pros like all of you use, and I think this is the one I want.

Question? Though it would serve this plane a tremendous injustice to put cheap electronics in her, cheap is what I got. Will the silly HXt500 servos and my cheap comparable Hobbycity Motor work just fine? AR6110? I have so many ofthese sevos and motors and 10amp esc's from build freiends Yak's all this fall. I am no expert but I am flying a lot of light 3d and hovering. I don't mind flying a less than ideal setup as it makes me a better pilot. Could a MX2 fly on a less than stellar setup?
Adam,

I'm not sure about your servos or motor. What Yaks are you talking about? The Fancy Foam Yaks? Most engines that fly that plane would probably be too small for the MX2. I run a Hacker A10 15S on the FF Yak55. For the MX2, you can run a 15S, but you're not going to have enough power, which is why RJ and myself run the A10 9L on the MX2. Again, I'm not sure about your motor, and servos, as I have no experience with either. But your receiver (6110) will work fine. I currently use the AR6300 (nanolite), and I plan to switch to that receiver when I can afford to. 0.5g more weight, but uses regular plugs!

Seth
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:18 AM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Adam,

If they worked well enough for you on the Yak, they should fly the MX2 just fine. That servo on the ailerons might lack a little torque, but I don't have any personally so I can't really say. I'm guessing the motor you have will be enough power from what I've heard about it, but I would suggest running 2S to save weight instead of 3S.

Let us know how it works out for you!

RJ
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:18 AM
Fast and getting faster!
Joined Jul 2003
1,554 Posts
whats the auw of the mx2? with a hacker 9l? I dont know which Hk Motor adam has, but the one I`m using is comparable to a 2203/46, or slightly better. my 2 Gernot yaks one is about 5.2 the other is slightly heavier due to a crash (never let friends drink and fly and even some sober) around 5.6-6.0 and on a 2 cell 350 the motor still pulls it around with authority. 3 cells on it and its insane power. I also used this motor on a GP Yak and it flew fine.

Sorry to hijack the thread back to the MX2, speaking of which still waiting patiently!!!!
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:25 AM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
I just threw my printed MX2 on a scale and it's 4.6 oz without a battery. That's built with no efforts to reduce weight at all (built a little heavy really) and also after a pretty good nose repair.

I would have guessed it was a little lighter... it sure flies light!
Old Oct 24, 2009, 02:25 PM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot
It will come unmilled. Milling this airplane makes it even floatier of course, but it really pulls it below its optimum weight. A little inertia helps 3D a lot. Devin and I discussed this at KIEF and agreed we don't see a need to lighten it at all.

RJ

its good the way it is.

Devin McGrath
Devin McGRath is online now Find More Posts by Devin McGRath
Old Oct 24, 2009, 03:40 PM
Joined Oct 2009
33 Posts
anybody tried an AXI 2203-46 yet with a castle thunderbird 9? How about e-flite s60's on the tail and a S75 on the ailerons? Any comments would be appreciated
rcmaster12 is offline Find More Posts by rcmaster12