SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:55 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Thanks for the input everyone! I have not lost hope and will experiment with some other ESCs.

Also, I will add I have been flying a GWS 9x4.7 prop which may have been too large, although I did like the power with this prop...

What size props are you all spinning?

Any issues with the Plush 6a drawing too many amps?
Use the GWS 8 x 4.3 slow fly prop. (the larger prop could have been the issue)

Use a 9A or 10A esc

aerolite
aerolite is online now Find More Posts by aerolite
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:43 AM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,566 Posts
I use the gws 8x4.3 on all of mine, and like I said it happens just on startup, I ususally click in some throttle trim usually smooths out.
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:59 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,611 Posts
Thanks guys, it is comforting to hear that this is not a unique problem and I will try to work it out.

I will say, I am suprised I had not heard about this before; I have been flying for 5+ years and this is my first experience with a Hacker.

I will keep you all posted...
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:12 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,068 Posts
The A10-9L is a very popular motor at my usual indoor venues. I think everyone is using the GWS 8x4.3 slowfly prop. With this there is no problem on the Plush 6A.

Reason for not hearing of issues is that the X-5, X-7 and CC10 are quite expensive and so most people are using cheaper controllers which for some reason do not have issues.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:32 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the motor. All your problems lie in the ESC. Yes, CC are among the best you can buy but for some reason they don't like playing with Hacker motors. Yes, you can change a few parameters and get it working but with so many options available you could spend the rest of your life trying to get it running properly. Interestingly, the other controllers I've seen problems with are Hackers own X-5 and X-7. A controller that does seem to work perfectly with Hackers is the Turnigy Plush 6A. Very cheap and available nearly everywhere, often re-labelled, eg, Hobbywing Pentium.

Don't give up on the A10-9L, but do yourself a favour and try a different (cheaper and lighter) controller.

Mike
That pretty much sums up my thoughts. I just happened to have a gaggle of CC10's (and 25's) left over from the "old days" (geared motors), when CC10's were pretty much the only game in town.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:19 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Hacker X-5's have always worked without a glitch (no pun intended, literally) for me with A10-9L's. CC Phoenix 10's will also work flawlessly with older firmware. Version 2.xx should work fine... the later 2.xx is what I normally use.

I won't use anything but those two controllers. The CC Phoenix programming is very powerful and you'd be surprised how big a difference you can get by taking advantage of it, mainly in throttle response. Laggy throttle can really hold back the fun maneuvers.

RJ
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:57 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
CC Phoenix 10's will also work flawlessly with older firmware. Version 2.xx should work fine... the later 2.xx is what I normally use.
Not all of them... I have a couple brand spanking new CC10's that won't work no way no how with my Hacker A10's. I ended up having to use the old non Castle Link compatable CC10's that Castle returned to me after I sent them to be upgraded to the latest version of the CC10.

And when I get a combo that runs without sounding like it's going to tear itself up, I don't touch the CC10 settings. In fact if I never have to tweak any CC10 settings the rest of my life, it will be too soon
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:08 AM
Janne Lappi, F3A Team Finland
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Sep 2008
133 Posts
The newest CC10 controllers come out with the latest firmware installed. It is a pity because the old firmwares were very good imo, and these brand new controllers can't be upgraded (or maybe I should say "low"graded..) to them anymore. The older ones are more reliable according to my experiences. With older CC10 you can use the old firmwares and I recommend to do so. I tested the newer firmwares a couple times but went back to the older ones, they are just better.

Janne
JanneL is offline Find More Posts by JanneL
Last edited by JanneL; Apr 21, 2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:19 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,611 Posts
I will be borrowing a link from my buddy later this week; will post results...

Thanks for all the input, otherwise I would have sent it in unnecessarily
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanneL View Post
The newest CC10 controllers come out with the latest firmware installed. It is a pity because the old firmwares were very good imo, and these brand new controllers can't be upgraded (or maybe I should say "low"graded..) to them anymore. The older ones are more reliable according to my experiences. With older CC10 you can use the old firmwares and I recommend to do so. I tested the newer firmwares a couple times but went back to the older ones, they are just better.

Janne
Janne, this has been my experience too. I purchase a bunch of the older CC 10's on ebay a long time ago (the ones with no lables attached). They all run the old firmware, and all work great with the Hacker motors.

I'm starting to try the Hacker 5A and 7A, and they too seem to work will with the motor.

aerolite
aerolite is online now Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:49 AM
JR > Futaba
Green Lane, PA
Joined Mar 2008
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
Hacker X-5's have always worked without a glitch (no pun intended, literally) for me with A10-9L's. CC Phoenix 10's will also work flawlessly with older firmware. Version 2.xx should work fine... the later 2.xx is what I normally use.

I won't use anything but those two controllers. The CC Phoenix programming is very powerful and you'd be surprised how big a difference you can get by taking advantage of it, mainly in throttle response. Laggy throttle can really hold back the fun maneuvers.

RJ
Ill agree with yah there! My hacker X-7 works very well, but my CC10 is great when i got the throttle setting right. I still use plush, but its hard to get the throttle response to where i like it.
--PvT
pvtzemerak is offline Find More Posts by pvtzemerak
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:30 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,068 Posts
Perhaps my observations with the X-5 and X-7 controllers was not representative of all of them. But the ones I've seen needed to be 'flick' started and then the throttle trim set so they wouldn't stop in flight. CC controllers have too many user-changeable parameters, IMHO. I like a controller that works without having to mess about and the Plush suits me needs, although I do accept that the better you get at flying the more demanding you become.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:24 AM
JR > Futaba
Green Lane, PA
Joined Mar 2008
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale View Post
I do accept that the better you get at flying the more demanding you become.

Mike

When it comes to servos / motors, yes i agree. But i dont really see a demanding difference between a $7 ESC and a $50 ESC, you can 3D as hard as you want with both.
--PvT
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:21 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
The difference that I have seen with the ECS has to do with the dead band at the bottom. I was shown this recently and until then it ahd not occured to me to deal with it. I let someone fly fly my plane that had a $7 ESC on it and he commented about the dead band at the bottom of the throttle range (stick movement to get the motor to start). With the cheap ESC your only choice is auto range detection. On the CC ESC you can set it to "fixed"??? and set the end points. This way you can set very little deadband at the bottom. The only way I can figure how to do this on a cheap ESC is a mix to the throttle that you activate after the ESC has armed to bump the bottom point up a little.
I have talked to CC about the issue with the smaller motors. They are listening but with so many motors out there it is impossible to make everyone happy. I told them they should just try to make me happy.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:29 PM
JR > Futaba
Green Lane, PA
Joined Mar 2008
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
The difference that I have seen with the ECS has to do with the dead band at the bottom. I was shown this recently and until then it ahd not occured to me to deal with it. I let someone fly fly my plane that had a $7 ESC on it and he commented about the dead band at the bottom of the throttle range (stick movement to get the motor to start). With the cheap ESC your only choice is auto range detection. On the CC ESC you can set it to "fixed"??? and set the end points. This way you can set very little deadband at the bottom. The only way I can figure how to do this on a cheap ESC is a mix to the throttle that you activate after the ESC has armed to bump the bottom point up a little.
I have talked to CC about the issue with the smaller motors. They are listening but with so many motors out there it is impossible to make everyone happy. I told them they should just try to make me happy.
Mike
I too dont like the dead band. But with my plush, i was screwing around with throttle positions when i turned on the Tx, and i somehow removed the deadband. But, it was after 15 minutes of messing with it. I think for CC10 and X-7's there is very little deadband, but not as much as my "programmed" plush. Either way ill agree with you, deadband sucks
--PvT