Joined Jan 2004
2,090 Posts
Great - thanks for the quick response!
mattk0 is online now Find More Posts by mattk0
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
Hi Rj, I built a trust vectoring on my airplane, I have about 20° of deflection, but I think it's not enouth for some manuevers ( for example, when I do the knif edge and reverse pitch or the flip with the rudder in reverse pitch, like you do in your freestyle, I lose altitude, I don't know if it's the power, my fingers or the deflection of the motor who are not good enougth, I think is both of them, can you tell me how many degres you use please?
Thanks.
Max Se is offline Find More Posts by Max Se
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:13 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
I think mine has about 30 degrees each direction. Not really sure though... I just set up the geometry that looked right and went with it and it worked.

I will say that the knifeedge reverse flip thing is a pretty difficult maneuver, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. Does your airplane have enough reverse power to back up strongly from a nose-down hover? If it doesn't, that's probably your biggest problem.

RJ
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:17 AM
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
Thanks for your fast answer RJ.
yes, I can back up from nose-down hover, I think the power is not too bad, my plane is 160gr with axi 2203/40 and 2s 350 50c batteries, I can do the Ke reverse flip, but he is not nice like yours.
I have a little video of it if you can see the problème :
max extra vpp chalon 2011 (3 min 11 sec)

(On this video, I can't back up nose-down, because I crash just before and I refix the motor very fast, but not very straight. lol)
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:46 PM
United States, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Jan 2004
2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
Yes, that's correct. The motor screws into the back of the carbon mount.

Also correct. When you cut out enough foam to clear the motor, there's almost nothing left for the mount to glue to. You'll need to cut four pieces, at least 3/4" wide, to make 45degree gussets around the nose to "box in" the motor. Then the carbon mount plate glues onto all that extra foam area, and it comes out stronger than a normal non-VPP mount system.

RJ
Just finished mounting this and getting it all in place. Now trying to figure out the VPP piece of things with my 9303. I'm not familiar with heli setups, so this is new territory. Is there any good documentation on what is needed for this? I'm trying to follow the mamo-models documentation, but need more step-by-step instructions (i.e. not even sure what channel to put the throttle servo in or how to program the throttle servo to a specific switch or what switch is used on the 9303?) Can anyone help?
Last edited by mattk0; Feb 13, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:24 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
Great Vid Max!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:23 AM
United States, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Jan 2004
2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
I had exactly the same problem until Seth told me to glue the bracket to the motor mount. The problem really is that the bracket has a slot instead of a hole. As you tighten the retaining screw it works it's way up the bracket and then the arm just flops around. As Seth said, the solution is to glue the bracket to the motor mount, then it works like a charm.

Azarr

(ignore the foam bits in the picture, it's a long story )
Quoting a post from Nov 2009, I've had a similar problem with the bracket falling of a few times during testing and I'm very new to the VPP 'terminology' so not sure I entirely understand the above post. Can someone clarify if this means to glue the fork shaped bracket to the carbon mount (per my arrow in the picture) - if so, I don't understand how this helps any being the screw is already holding it down to the mount??
Last edited by mattk0; Feb 18, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:08 PM
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined May 2004
450 Posts
video of the 2nd short flight of my 56" EPP MX2

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1373042&page=3
bmoney69 is offline Find More Posts by bmoney69
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:03 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk0 View Post
Quoting a post from Nov 2009, I've had a similar problem with the bracket falling of a few times during testing and I'm very new to the VPP 'terminology' so not sure I entirely understand the above post. Can someone clarify if this means to glue the fork shaped bracket to the carbon mount (per my arrow in the picture) - if so, I don't understand how this helps any being the screw is already holding it down to the mount??
That's the piece I glued. The problem I was having was that as you tightened the screw that piece would "walk" and the arm would slip.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:51 PM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
873 Posts
Thrust angle

After a few mishaps with my MX2 including breaking the nose completely off, I want to make sure that I get the thrust angle the same as it was intended out of the box. Does anyone know what the designed thrust angle is? It actually looked pretty neutral just eyeballing it when I first put it together. Thanks.
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:06 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Yep, it's 0,0 . Totally neutral/straight.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:11 AM
Joined May 2004
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
Yep, it's 0,0 . Totally neutral/straight.
While I have the designer's attention, I've been curious why the aileron spades have a positive incidence rather than being neutral? It's obviously not detrimental as it requires no KE mixing. Just curious, especially since this is the only RC model I've seen with spades. Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
I think the spades need an incidence for more utility, and they are to small and to close to the wing to make truble.
Martin Muller extra has spades, but they are bigger and with no incidence, he puts carbon on to have rigidity on the ailerons.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:14 PM
Joined May 2004
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Se View Post
I think the spades need an incidence for more utility, and they are to small and to close to the wing to make truble.
Martin Muller extra has spades, but they are bigger and with no incidence, he puts carbon on to have rigidity on the ailerons.
I wonder if the spades on full scale aerobatic planes have a positive incidence? Never really noticed that in photos.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:47 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
They have a positive incidence because that's what worked.

Some full-scale planes have them set positive, some negative, some neutral. But on full-scale planes, spades have a totally different effect. And truthfully, if you compare the spades on the MX2 to those on a full-scale plane, it's a whole different device.

Really... to get right down to the un-arguable point. I tried them several ways, I liked that the best.