HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:21 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney69 View Post
so i got another quick flight in at lunch time (work is really getting in the way today) and noticed that in knife edge it was pitching towards the canopy. i noticed i still had just a touch of up trim in the elev so i ran the cg back till it was neutral elev and it cleaned the KE up. it's neutral upright, KE and needs just a touch of down inverted......i think she is good! RJ, is there a document or a good source for advanced triming of foamies.....what do you go thru to get yours set up for competition? i usually mess with the CG till it's good for me and that's really about it, but i'm thinking maybe i should go the next step to get the most out of my flying.

thanks agian!

Bill.
Bill,

That's basically all I do. Often I don't even adjust the CG on my MX2's, especially with VPP... I just get the CG as aft as the extra weight will allow and go with what I get. But at the most on a non-VPP model, I adjust the battery back and forth until I get a happy CG and then just fly! It also helps that I already have a dual rates/expo model that I just use for every MX2. I can share that if anyone cares, but that's a very individual preference so I'm not sure it will help anyone much.

RJ
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:29 AM
departure from controlled flt
SF Bay Area
Joined Oct 2004
295 Posts
RJ, do you use low rates or flight modes at all during your non-VPP AM routine? If so, for which types of maneuvers?

--
Larry
airportdog is online now Find More Posts by airportdog
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:44 AM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
The only dual-rates I use is on the elevator, about 80% for low-rate and 100% for high-rate. High-rates is for hard push/pull corners, waterfalls, spins, and harriers. All other maneuvers I fly on low-rate elevator.

Just makes it a little easier to be smooth on slower maneuvers and prevent from burying the tail too hard in rolling maneuvers.

That's generally true for any MX2 I fly, VPP or non-VPP.

RJ
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:30 PM
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined May 2004
441 Posts
thanks RJ!.....loving my MX2! i may have to build a roided up version in the 50-60" range! how fun would that be!
bmoney69 is offline Find More Posts by bmoney69
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:42 PM
I drank it, and it is good.
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2009
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
Here's my setup:

Hacker A10-9L
Hacker X-5 ESC
Futaba S3114's all around
Futaba R6004FF Receiver
GWS 8x4.3 Slow-fly prop
2S 300mah 25C battery
Hey RJ (or anyone else that might know),
Do you know how many amps you are pulling with that set up? I have basically the same set up except with a CC 9 and am getting well over 10 amps on the bench. Its freaking me out a little, but you are using a 5A ESC? Are they under rated? What am I missing?

Thanks!

-Rob
mustang347 is offline Find More Posts by mustang347
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:50 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,470 Posts
If you're getting 10+ amps with that setup I'd say check your solder joints and such. Sounds like you've got a high resistance point somewhere in there. I'm pulling roughly 6+ amps with that setup (Thunderbird 9 ESC).
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:23 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
I have no idea honestly. I do know that I can pull about 11 amps with a GWS 8x4.3SF on an A10-15S at WOT, and I've never had a problem with the Hacker X-5. In my opinion they are way under-rated.

The 15S naturally pulls more amps than a 9L with the same prop, so I would expect less than that. Not sure though!
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:08 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
well... my time has come and I am about ready to maiden the MX-2 at our indoor season opener on Thursday!

I have one question left, but it is more about radio programming than the MX-2 but I want to make sure I get the most out of this plane.

I would imagine this is a relevant question for any computer radio user, but for those interested in my setup it is hacker A10-9L, Castle 9 esc, s3114 servos all around, AR6110 rx with a JR 11x tx. Here we go:

When trying to get the most resolution out of your servos and your radio; what is the best way to lower the control surface throws? Do I want to make adjustments to the dual rates menu, the travel adjustment menu, the limit adjustment menu or to all three?

I feel like I have read somewhere that done incorectly, you will not be getting the highest resolution possible.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

She looks awesome and went together very well... after much deliberation, I decided not to use the pull pull. I have been messing with so many of those systems recently and was not concerned with the extra weight. Pics will be up after Thursday!
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:30 PM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
317 Posts
bsbauman,

To get the maximum resolution, the higher the endpoints the better. If you have too much throw on high rate, reduce the throw mechanically. Once you have the full throw set, use dual rate for lower flying rates if needed.

Regards,

Dave
DaveL322 is offline Find More Posts by DaveL322
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:25 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
Thanks Dave; I thought I was correct with bringing everything up to 150%; but was not sure to use Dual Rates or Limit Adjustments to bring it back down. This is a fairly new radio to me and even coming from a 9303, I find myself using many more of the features; I have never had a "Limit Adjustments" menu before.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:41 PM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Thanks Dave; I thought I was correct with bringing everything up to 150%; but was not sure to use Dual Rates or Limit Adjustments to bring it back down. This is a fairly new radio to me and even coming from a 9303, I find myself using many more of the features; I have never had a "Limit Adjustments" menu before.
yes, the limit adjustment is new to JR radios. It really doesn't apply to simpler setups. The real value of the limit function is too prevent a single control surface from being over-driven when it affected by more than 1 channel or function. An example would be the use of an elevator > flap mixer while on high rate aileron. Assume the right aileron linkages and hinges will only move 40 degrees without binding, and full aileron on high rate is 40 degrees. IF full aileron is used AND elevator is used causing the flap (aileron) to move, the cumulative movement commanded by the radio would exceed 40 degrees, possibly damaging hinges, linkage, or servo gears. Setting the limit adjustment to only allow a maximum of 40 degrees of movement on the aileron will prevent the cumulative commanded movements from damaging the plane.

Hope this makes sense!

Regards,

Dave
DaveL322 is offline Find More Posts by DaveL322
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:08 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
That gives me a much better understanding of the use for this function. Thank you!

So I finished up all my programming last night and after putting all my travel adjustments to 150%, I started to bring them back down in my D/R menu. I did have to set my rates at only 45% to 55% to achieve full throw on each surface.

I am hoping to get to maiden this in the parking lot today at work, if the weather will cooperate. As with other indoor models I have flown, I really like being able to fly them without walls when I am trimming everything out... if not, it will be maidened this evening at the venue.

I was also curious if I need to add any mixing in KE flight to prevent coupling or is that most affected by CG?

I will be running 2s 360 Rhino Lipos as well as 2s 480 TP Lipos. I still need to drop it on a CG machine and figure out where the battery is going to go. I have not measured the AUW yet, but I am sure it is on the heavier side. This is not my first indoor profile build, and I know from previous experiences that I tend to use much more CA than is necessary...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2011, 04:43 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I was also curious if I need to add any mixing in KE flight to prevent coupling or is that most affected by CG?

I will be running 2s 360 Rhino Lipos as well as 2s 480 TP Lipos. I still need to drop it on a CG machine and figure out where the battery is going to go. I have not measured the AUW yet, but I am sure it is on the heavier side. This is not my first indoor profile build, and I know from previous experiences that I tend to use much more CA than is necessary...
Don't bother with a CG machine... just pick it up from the vertical fuse, right in front of the canopy. If it balances approximately there, it's close enough.

Then, adjust the battery till the airplane has no pitch coupling on KE. Trim it for level flight at moderate throttle then check the KE coupling. If it tucks to the belly, it's too tailheavy. If it pulls to the canopy, it's too noseheavy. Move the battery a little and try again, making sure to re-trim the elevator for level flight before checking the KE coupling.

Good luck!
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:47 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
Well all I can say is WOW! It was an impressive night. I just realized I got home and have just been staring at the MX-2 for the last 2 hrs This makes me look like a great pilot... I am not! I was touching the tail hovering and on high alpha KE, tight and straight waterfalls... I have never flown that low before...

It was great.. I must have stuck the pack in the right spot (I did not CG machine it). KE passes and circles were great!

Thanks so much RJ! I could tell the moment I got it in the air that a lot of love has gone into designing this airframe. With the recommended setup (Hacker a10-9L, three s3114 servos, castle 9amp) this was ideal! I also passed my tx around to some buddies... lets just say I would not be suprised if you all ship out a few boxes to the Atlanta area in the next few days

Thanks as well to all the others that have helped answer my questions on the threads, it makes everything so easy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:32 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
That's awesome!! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Please let me know if I can help with anything.

Jeesh, I think it's about time for me to build a new one for myself...