HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:38 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaster12 View Post
well yeah I know that. What I need help with is how/where/ how much glue to apply to what pieces. I have heard put a couple drops on each tab, but I was wondering what other methods are out there
Thats all I do.
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:05 AM
Joined Oct 2009
33 Posts
Thanks Seth! So nothing in the space in between tabs? Im sure you saw my first mx2 in columbus, and it was pitiful, I'm sure you want to laugh but you didn't.
rcmaster12 is offline Find More Posts by rcmaster12
Last edited by rcmaster12; Dec 30, 2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:00 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Some CA seems to be better than other CA. Bob Smith CA seems (to me) to be a little less brittle than others I have tried.

I do it a bit differently. I use white gorilla glue, the stuff that foams. I find this to be the best glue for gluing the end grain of the Depron. It does not work so well on the skinned Depron. So to attach the bottom fuse I wrap some sandpaper over a tongue depressor and use the narrow edge to sand away the skin of the depron on the horizontal (wing, shockie, tail) piece in line with the slots for the tabs. Then I apply the smallest possible little bead along the top of the bottom fuselage piece and then press them together. Then I mist it with water. If you use a very small bead you won't get much foaming,but there may be some coming out of the side of the joint. I take a scarp piece of Depron and push it along the side of the fuselage joint to unfoam it. You have to do this as soon as it appears.

In this assembly I do not put the GG on the tabs at all, because it doesn work well on the sides of the tabs and of course you don't want it on the tops of the tabs.

I do the same thing when attaching the top of the fuselage, except as soon as I have it pressed together I put a couple of drops of CA on each tab, press together and kick it. This holds it together while the GG cures.

This method can be a little messier than the CA method, but it is "as strong as the foam itself" and is not as susceptible to cracking. The secret is to use a very small amount of CA. A very thin film. Practice first on two pieces of scrap. This probably adds a few grams and may not be good for the competition flyer, but it makes a rugged plane.

I also tend to use GG for making repairs to a cracked part. I apply a small amount to the crack and then put painters masking tape on both sides to prevent it from foaming out.

The GG is especially good on a hand cut plane, as it fills small irregularities that may result from imperfect cutting.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:59 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
660 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Seth! So nothing in the space in between tabs? Im sure you saw my first mx2 in columbus, and it was pitiful, I'm sure you want to laugh but you didn't.
Nah it looked good.

Generally, I don't put anything between tabs.

That is unless I get the part completely on, and the part moves easily between the tabs, then i put a little dot in there with CA.

I don't use Gorilla glue, too heavy, and too much of a pain in the neck to deal with. I use the Bob Smith Industries (BSI) Thin Foam Safe CA.

Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:00 AM
Joined Oct 2009
33 Posts
Thanks U2 and Seth! That is what I will try this time around with the MX2 and Osiris. Also, should I spray kicker on the part I didn't put the glue on or spray kicker on the parts after I put them together?
Last edited by rcmaster12; Dec 30, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 03:53 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Awesome flying Lee! Those wiggly parts were really getting a workout (the control surfaces).

I'm very impressed with the Hobby City CA. I just got some more of it in the mail today. I've used many namy kinds of CA, and I like the HC stuff better than any I have used. It comes in a bottle with a pin in the cap, and it's cheaper than any other CA I have used.

I didn't even have to use kicker when I glued the fuse on my MX2 together.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:09 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
660 Posts
Quote:
Thanks U2 and Seth! That is what I will try this time around with the MX2 and Osiris. Also, should I spray kicker on the part I didn't put the glue on or spray kicker on the parts after I put them together?
I put the parts together, then add a drop where the tabs are, then kick the glue once i know its straight.

Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:23 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,542 Posts
The main Parts of Dan Landis`s Mx2. Came out good!
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:17 AM
www.danlandisinc.com
New York
Joined Apr 2005
276 Posts
Looks Good Al. Thanks!!!
Dan Landis is offline Find More Posts by Dan Landis
Old Jan 02, 2010, 02:57 AM
Joined Oct 2009
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth View Post
I put the parts together, then add a drop where the tabs are, then kick the glue once i know its straight.

Seth
thanks Seth. Just finished my osiris and that is the method i used. I will be building my new mx2 tommorow with my girlfriend. It would be nice to see more women in the hobby....
Old Jan 02, 2010, 10:29 PM
Joined Oct 2009
33 Posts
Ok they are all done. Pics are on Face book
Old Jan 02, 2010, 10:48 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
They look great, Dan and Alex!
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Jan 03, 2010, 10:24 AM
Joined Oct 2009
33 Posts
BTW RJ, I got a new x-5 and just for fun decided to put it on my a10 9l. no problem at all I havent had to hand flip once. I put my old x-5 on the a10 15s and it works great on it.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 10:35 AM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
I "remaidened" my MX2 indoors last night, and all went well. It really does fly nice.

I'm using a Castle Phoenix 10 with my A10-9L, just because I have several of them (they were about the only thing available in that size back when I bought them). It works well with the A10-9L, but I have had lots of problems with the Phoenix 10 and the A10-15S. Some of them just don't play well together.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
Old Jan 03, 2010, 10:53 AM
Joined Oct 2009
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatManDEW View Post
I "remaidened" my MX2 indoors last night, and all went well. It really does fly nice.

I'm using a Castle Phoenix 10 with my A10-9L, just because I have several of them (they were about the only thing available in that size back when I bought them). It works well with the A10-9L, but I have had lots of problems with the Phoenix 10 and the A10-15S. Some of them just don't play well together.
From what I have heard from RJ, Seth and Jamie the hacker x-5 handles the a10 9l and 15s the best