SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:13 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
I just got a MX2 this week. Is hinge tape not needed on the beveled side of the control surfaces?

The instructions only mention hinge tape on the top, or "skin" side. Nothing is mentioned about hinge tape on the botton or beveled side of the control surfaces, other than a one inch piece of tape at the root of the ailerons on the bottom.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:46 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatManDEW View Post
I just got a MX2 this week. Is hinge tape not needed on the beveled side of the control surfaces?

The instructions only mention hinge tape on the top, or "skin" side. Nothing is mentioned about hinge tape on the botton or beveled side of the control surfaces, other than a one inch piece of tape at the root of the ailerons on the bottom.
I would think that should work just fine.

On all my planes, I only use the top piece running the entire length of the aileron, and three 1" pieces on the bottom of all surfaces.

One on the inner part of the aileron, one on the outer edge, and one in the middle. I tape these pieces perpendicular to the wing and ail. You do this by folding the aileron back over the wing, then I place on the three small pieces. Then I fold the aileron back into place, and then run the full length piece.

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:12 PM
when i say gas i mean gasoline
NJ
Joined Apr 2008
81 Posts
Quote:

yup, i asked the same question. just fully tape the top and 1 little pice on the bottom (the V side) where the control horn is.
louu is offline Find More Posts by louu
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:51 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Quote:

As everyone said, do not tape the bottom/bevel side fully. It will seriously increase resistance and decrease your throw. Taping per the instructions holds up great!

RJ
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:32 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,554 Posts
Just need elecs and they will be flying, both came in with one servo in the plane at 2.8 ounces so far. If I calculated the weight right, I should be somewhere in the 5.2-5.4 range.
FASTALJR is online now Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:35 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Joined Jul 2003
1,554 Posts
some More
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:40 AM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Those are some pretty wild looking paint jobs. Your workbench looks similar to mine, with a MX2, and Christmas wrapping paper on the bench

Is anyone using that wire landing gear setup on artificial turf? I fly in a golf dome with artificial turf. I usually hand launch, and hover and catch my planes, but not always.... I'm wondering how that wheel-less setup will work on the fake grass. I use one inch GWS wheels on all my other indoor foamies, and they work OK on the turf. I heat the carbon LG struts and bend them for the axle, so adding wheels adds basically nothing but the weight of the wheels, which if I remember correctly is something like 1/2 gram.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:58 AM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
The wire skids work fine for an occasional accidental low-battery landing on turf, but they obviously won't skid on turf so they arent the best choice for regular use in that case. Wheels would probably be a better choice if you want to take-off and land on turf.
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:53 AM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
The wire skids work fine for an occasional accidental low-battery landing on turf, but they obviously won't skid on turf so they arent the best choice for regular use in that case. Wheels would probably be a better choice if you want to take-off and land on turf.
THat's what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation. Wheels it is...
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:11 PM
when i say gas i mean gasoline
NJ
Joined Apr 2008
81 Posts
FASTALJR that paint job is awesome!!! i love seeing something diffrent, not just checkers and flames that stuff is ssssoooooooo 1997

good luck with your new best foamie!!!
louu is offline Find More Posts by louu
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:38 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Joined Jul 2003
1,554 Posts
I snuck into the place we fly tonight, they play b-ball on wednesday, and i was very happy to find the guy that watches the dome all alone with a big empty flying area! Flew the purple one, auw was 5.6 I figured too heavy, but I cannot believe how light this plane flies. Very smooth, very nimble. Have to take some expo out I had way too much. Overall Great Flying!!!!! cant wait for the second one! Should have them both this weekend!!!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:12 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Got wheels?

Got my wheels installed. We fly indoors this weekend, and I hope to have mine RTF by then.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:12 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
666 Posts
Quote:
Got my wheels installed. We fly indoors this weekend, and I hope to have mine RTF by then.
Hopefully I'll get my motor for mine by then and bring it up to the dome too. If not, I'll just have my airfoiled Yak and Micro 4 Site again...
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:24 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Which airfoiled Yak is that Seth?

Hope you get your motor so you can fly Saturday.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 06:08 PM
D C
I'm Out Sky Dancing!
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Jan 2009
182 Posts
Quote:
Nice.... Where did you get the wheels and what size are they?

Don C
D C is offline Find More Posts by D C