SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2009, 07:26 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by louu View Post
hey rj in that first flight pass video is the elevader milled on that plane or is that just some weird shadow? and why do they blow the horn half way through the flight, is that a 10 second warning or something?
Hey Louu,

Yes, my entire ETOC airplane was milled to save weight. My whole mission with that plane was to see how light I could get a VPP plane.

"They" don't blow the horn. That was a spectator in the audience who brought a horn as his way to cheer for the flying.

RJ
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:22 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
Hey Louu,

"They" don't blow the horn. That was a spectator in the audience who brought a horn as his way to cheer for the flying.

RJ
And the people sitting near him weren't happy campers.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:56 AM
D C
I'm Out Sky Dancing!
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Jan 2009
182 Posts
Quote:
Hi Don,

I don't run the 3114 on the ailerons, but the arm I use will still work. I get mine from Radical RC HERE, about halfway down the page. "F3P Biased Servo Horn #1"

Seth
Thanks Seth,

Don C
D C is offline Find More Posts by D C
Last edited by D C; Nov 25, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 03:01 PM
D C
I'm Out Sky Dancing!
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Jan 2009
182 Posts
Yeeee Haaaa....

Just received my MX-2! Can't wait to get started on the build and still waiting for the electronics.

Don C
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:31 AM
Reality is overated!
Ottawa, ON
Joined Sep 2005
296 Posts
Quote:
Yes, my entire ETOC airplane was milled to save weight. My whole mission with that plane was to see how light I could get a VPP plane.

RJ
RJ, (or Seth) so, how light did you manage to get it? Is a 120gram, non VPP, version doable, do you think?

Also curious if either of you have flown any F3P sequences with this airframe? If yes, are there vids anywhere?

I'm very impressed with the vids I've seen of this airframe, there is no doubt that it "freestyles" very well but, I'm trying to decide on a replacement for my Mercury's.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave_ORCC is offline Find More Posts by Dave_ORCC
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:56 AM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ORCC View Post
RJ, (or Seth) so, how light did you manage to get it? Is a 120gram, non VPP, version doable, do you think?

Also curious if either of you have flown any F3P sequences with this airframe? If yes, are there vids anywhere?

I'm very impressed with the vids I've seen of this airframe, there is no doubt that it "freestyles" very well but, I'm trying to decide on a replacement for my Mercury's.

Cheers,
Dave
Hi Dave,

With my normal setup (listed on the first page), the printed MX2's come in between 140-150 grams. By using lighter Dymond servos, a smaller motor, and getting a white version, you could get a bit lighter. I've never tried to get one that light because the normal weight range is just about perfect for this plane.

This airplane definitely wasn't intended for F3P. It flies freestyle quite precisely, but it does have a much shorter tail than most F3P planes so it won't track as well as many pattern planes. It can do slow precision maneuvers such as rolling circles very well. There's certainly nothing difficult in the F3P sequence that this plane can't do, but it won't fly it as well as an Osiris, for example.

RJ
Last edited by hpapilot; Nov 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 01:35 PM
Reality is overated!
Ottawa, ON
Joined Sep 2005
296 Posts
Thanks for the info RJ. That confrims my thoughts actually. I noticed the shorter tail moment kinda figured but, I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm planing on going to France in February to meet some of the girlfriend's family and I thought I might fly in the contest there. Might be a good way to relieve the stresses of meeting the family That, and there are no F3P contests around here.

Guess I need an Osiris AND an MX2

Cheers,
Dave
Dave_ORCC is offline Find More Posts by Dave_ORCC
Last edited by Dave_ORCC; Nov 30, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 05:17 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ORCC View Post

Cheers,
Dave
Dave,

I believe both RJ's and my models came out at indentical weights (without trying to save weight. Both of ours came in at 5.2oz RTF (148g), non milled, and non vpp. The airframe flies the best at that weight, so theres not any real reason to go lighter.

As RJ said, the airplane wasn't intended for F3P at all, but for freestyle.

Seth
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:16 AM
D C
I'm Out Sky Dancing!
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Jan 2009
182 Posts
I just started the build the my new MX-2 and noticed the elevator is twisted. Is there any way to straighten the flying surfaces?

Thanks,
Don C
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:56 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
I just started the build the my new MX-2 and noticed the elevator is twisted. Is there any way to straighten the flying surfaces?

Thanks,
Don C
I would try VERY Gently warming it with a heat gun, with your hand nearby to make sure it was not getting too hot, and then placing it on a flat surface with a couple heavy books, like a dictionary, on top of it. But I am no expert.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Dec 01, 2009, 12:28 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
How badly twisted is it? That's pretty odd, mine have all been very straight.

It may be worth just squeezing it between heavy books overnight if it isn't too bad. If it is, as U2 suggested, a little heat might help...
Old Dec 01, 2009, 02:32 PM
D C
I'm Out Sky Dancing!
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Jan 2009
182 Posts
The left tip of the elevator is twisted downward about 3/16".

I tried laying books on it overnight but there was no change. The rest of the parts look pretty straight though.

I was thinking about using some heat to relax it (like u2builder mentioned) but I'm a little concerned it might get damaged. Anyone done that successfully?

Don C
Old Dec 01, 2009, 02:37 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
I've used heat before, but not on a printed airplane. It really shouldnt take much heat though, so I doubt it would hurt much. Just about as warm as warm tap-water.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 02:45 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,695 Posts
I have actually used warm/hot tap water to heat depron and them pat it dry and leave it between a couple of books for a few hours. Worked quite well on my Enticement...

Never had to do that with any of my Fancy Foam birds, though!

Tim
AG4RZ

Quote:
I've used heat before, but not on a printed airplane. It really shouldnt take much heat though, so I doubt it would hurt much. Just about as warm as warm tap-water.
IFLYOS is online now Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:55 PM
when i say gas i mean gasoline
NJ
Joined Apr 2008
81 Posts
my rudder came out of the box warped but dave322 is a foamie expert and all he did was gently bend it the other way for a second and now its perfict. he said just be carful not to bend it to far or it will wrinkle, just go a little bit at a time.
when i first un packed it, i saw it and tried putting it on the flat bench with a book on it for a couple days but it dident work. dave said it never does.
louu is offline Find More Posts by louu