HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:49 AM
sponsored by labor
United States, OK, Broken Arrow
Joined Jan 2006
338 Posts
Hey guys, Have you tried a 3 cell lipo on the A20 34s with the mamo vpp unit? I know the hacker site says the motor is made for a 2 cell, but wondering if you might have tried the 3 cell..... Thanks in advance!
Brian Chitty is offline Find More Posts by Brian Chitty
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:02 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Chitty View Post
Hey guys, Have you tried a 3 cell lipo on the A20 34s with the mamo vpp unit? I know the hacker site says the motor is made for a 2 cell, but wondering if you might have tried the 3 cell..... Thanks in advance!
I flew mine at ETOC last year with a 3s pack.

I am using 2s this year though, keeps the airplane closer to the "normal" weight.

Seth
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:46 PM
sponsored by labor
United States, OK, Broken Arrow
Joined Jan 2006
338 Posts
Thanks Seth, I have 4 hot 3 cells and didn't want to buy anymore batteries!
Brian Chitty is offline Find More Posts by Brian Chitty
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:44 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
692 Posts
No problem
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:50 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jan 2006
269 Posts
how does the vpp pitch lever hold itself into the pivot bracket? it seems like a screw should be there. yet no hole in the pivot shaft. Am I missing somthing(mamo unit)

thanks,

skip
maxer is offline Find More Posts by maxer
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:27 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxer View Post
how does the vpp pitch lever hold itself into the pivot bracket? it seems like a screw should be there. yet no hole in the pivot shaft. Am I missing somthing(mamo unit)

thanks,

skip

There is a little nylon bracket that the pitch lever goes into. Then on the lever itself, there is a little "half moon" circle type of thing on the bottom of the lever. There is a little silver screw included with the unit. Screw goes through the nylon piece and into the carbon, BUT don't tighten it down all the way, because the half moon circle thing catches on the screw head and holds the arm in place. My little nylon piece actually wouldn't stay on very well, so I tacked it with a little CA as well.

Hope this makes sense. I'll see if I can find my camera to take a picture for you.

Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:22 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,924 Posts
Quote:

thanks,

skip
I had exactly the same problem until Seth told me to glue the bracket to the motor mount. The problem really is that the bracket has a slot instead of a hole. As you tighten the retaining screw it works it's way up the bracket and then the arm just flops around. As Seth said, the solution is to glue the bracket to the motor mount, then it works like a charm.

Azarr

(ignore the foam bits in the picture, it's a long story )
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:30 PM
Joined Jan 2006
269 Posts
thanks guys,now I just have to figure out the geometry. My half moon is on top instead of bottom. I at least now have an idea what I'm after. Rest of mechanism is working perfectly.

Thanks,

Skip
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:36 PM
Joined Jan 2006
269 Posts
the tips worked ...got it...almost ready to hover in reverse..yeah sure!

skip
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:10 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
I had exactly the same problem until Seth told me to glue the bracket to the motor mount. The problem really is that the bracket has a slot instead of a hole. As you tighten the retaining screw it works it's way up the bracket and then the arm just flops around. As Seth said, the solution is to glue the bracket to the motor mount, then it works like a charm.

Azarr

(ignore the foam bits in the picture, it's a long story )
Quote:
thanks guys,now I just have to figure out the geometry. My half moon is on top instead of bottom. I at least now have an idea what I'm after. Rest of mechanism is working perfectly.

Thanks,

Skip
Quote:
the tips worked ...got it...almost ready to hover in reverse..yeah sure!

skip
Thanks for posting a picture Azarr!

Glad you got it working Skip!
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:32 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Mar 2008
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
I've been meaning to put up pictures to show this but I've been sick all week and just haven't been up to it. Hopefully this drawing will clear things up a little bit...
Thanks for the picture, it helped a lot.

Even with my RX and ESC in the suggested position, I still needed to put my 19g Rhino 360 2C battery almost full forward to get the cg right. My first flight went great. I broke down and had to eventually install some light wheels. The paper clip skids and foam wheel pants did not last long on the indoor soccer field turf.
AeroControl is offline Find More Posts by AeroControl
Old Nov 20, 2009, 02:45 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Glad the picture helped. Out of curiosity, what did you base the "right" CG off of, the 'around 1" in front of the canopy' suggestion, or the flight characteristics? With the proper CG, the airplane should have zero coupling on knifeedge.

Yeah, the skids are definitely not intended for turf. At events that don't have a smooth floor, we always just hand-launch and catch our airplanes.

RJ
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:48 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Mar 2008
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
Glad the picture helped. Out of curiosity, what did you base the "right" CG off of, the 'around 1" in front of the canopy' suggestion, or the flight characteristics? With the proper CG, the airplane should have zero coupling on knifeedge.

Yeah, the skids are definitely not intended for turf. At events that don't have a smooth floor, we always just hand-launch and catch our airplanes.

RJ
Hey RJ,

I started the CG at the 1" in front of canopy suggestion point. I had a friend of mine (who has more experience with indoor 3D planes) fly it for a while and he said it felt a little tail heavy. He said it felt much better in a hover with the CG a bit more forward. I plan on flying indoors again next week and will play with the CG a little more doing knife edges (like you suggest) and inverted fllight. This is my first indoor 3D acrobatic plane and so far I really like it.
AeroControl is offline Find More Posts by AeroControl
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:04 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroControl View Post
Hey RJ,

I started the CG at the 1" in front of canopy suggestion point. I had a friend of mine (who has more experience with indoor 3D planes) fly it for a while and he said it felt a little tail heavy. He said it felt much better in a hover with the CG a bit more forward. I plan on flying indoors again next week and will play with the CG a little more doing knife edges (like you suggest) and inverted fllight. This is my first indoor 3D acrobatic plane and so far I really like it.
While it may feel "tail heavy" to some pilots, its actually a very good CG. Flies precision well, but yet can still do all of the 3D waterfalls and such.

The CG that is correct is where it has ZERO coupling.

All of our non VPP MX2s fly at 1" in front of the canopy.

Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:45 PM
Joined Dec 2007
41 Posts
Hey guys,how bout posting some vids of the MX2 in action!!
stickbanger is offline Find More Posts by stickbanger