HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:22 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,934 Posts
I watch Mythbusters -- you are right! They had a lot of balloons inside that hangar and couldn't get that little girl even a foot off the ground.

But, they did lift Adam with those 6 or 8 weather balloons that one time...I think it would be possible for that large of "helium-filled pancake" to lift that small of kid -- but it certainly would not have lifted off so quickly or swung around as much as it did if there was a fairly large weight underneath it.

Garret
Garret H is offline Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:38 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Well until the video of the 'accidental launch' was released, there was no real sense of scale to the balloon. I thought it looked odd how the balloon was not weighted down in the center when flying as it would be with 50 pounds, but I just assumed that the authorities were sure there was a kid in there and I didn't question it further. It seemed distateful to start picking apart the situation and calling hoax before the balloon was down safe.
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:54 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soar_dude
You know after watching the video of the "tethered" launch. I get the feeling that its not a hoax but impatient disorganized inventor not using common sense before testing his idea. The guy is a hambone for sure! But I see a guy who is easily frustrated. Okay got that off my chest, don't get me wrong he is a loon for sure with his ideas! Riding a motorcycle around a tornado....
boy he is a good actor! Now I feel really silly.
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:58 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rs
I dont see how people cant tell that there was no wieght on that balloon.
No one wanted to go out on the limb and state the obvious - that the balloon was moving in such a way that it couldn't have any weight in the bottom compartment.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Oct 20, 2009, 03:25 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAFplanekid
Well until the video of the 'accidental launch' was released, there was no real sense of scale to the balloon. I thought it looked odd how the balloon was not weighted down in the center when flying as it would be with 50 pounds, but I just assumed that the authorities were sure there was a kid in there and I didn't question it further. It seemed distateful to start picking apart the situation and calling hoax before the balloon was down safe.
Indeed. One other ridiculous thing was the clip that was shown here had the balloon apparantly whipping across the sky, due to being filmed from a moving helicopter. The link person back in the studio said that the balloon must have been doing about 500 miles per hour
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:36 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rs
I dont see how people cant tell that there was no wieght on that balloon.
When I watched it, I thought it was possible that it was leaning because the "weight" wasnt centered, like he had passed out due to hypothermia and the balloon had settled into that stable/tilted orientation. It was really unknown to most how big the thing was. Besides, who would want safety types to take too much time collecting info and making rough calculations before acting? That is where the crime comes in, they took advantage of the police's willingness to take their word. Parents said the kid was on board. What they did was potentially very dangerous. Imagine if during the ground chase, someone had had a fatal accident because of a hoax.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:08 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Can anyone possibly fathom what the families outcome was SUPPOSED to be, had the plan worked??
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:33 AM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Apr 2004
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker
Can anyone possibly fathom what the families outcome was SUPPOSED to be, had the plan worked??
Fame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRBLcN-dxs4
Jon Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Jon Shaw
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:55 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Who the hell is Wolf?

Balloon Boy who the hell is wolf (0 min 14 sec)

Ha! The balloon boy incident is this year's Bigfoot! Anyone remember that one? What's in store for next year? Suggestions?
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:58 PM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
364 Posts
The whole thing was nonsense. A call to a high school teacher or community college physics or chemistry instructor would have sorted it out. A helium balloon that size might lift a skinny cat, but no way would it lift a child. The networks should be ashamed, as so should anyone who fell for the hoax.

I don't think the kids should go to social services, but something has to be done about the dad. Maybe tv cameras in every room of his prison cell...oops, I mean house. Oh, wait, then he gets his reality show.

Marten
Marten is offline Find More Posts by Marten
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:57 AM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Looks like dad is getting 90 days and mom is getting 20 days.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/23/...ing/index.html
Buran is offline Find More Posts by Buran
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:00 PM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Are they going to have to repay the costs of emergency services?
Rufcut is offline Find More Posts by Rufcut
Old Dec 23, 2009, 01:16 PM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
364 Posts
You wish.

Mom does time on the weekends, Dad sleeps weeknights in jail. To protect the kids

Marten
Marten is offline Find More Posts by Marten