SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:11 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,253 Posts
Discussion
Cold Weather Flying Gloves...

Since I live in vermont, every year at this time I have to concern myself with cold weather flying. I have tried different gloves, but find that for me, I don't like having fabric, no matter how thin it may be, to get between my finger tips and the sticks. Well, this morning I flew a pack before work with some gloves that come with the fingers and thumbs cut out but have mitten flaps that can be folded back over the exposed digits between flights. The air temp was 32 degrees and it was actually lightly snowing, but my fingers remained warm.

I will test them again this evening and if the results are good I'll provide product information...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Last edited by elan; Oct 15, 2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: clarity
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:02 AM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
I wonder if there could be made a kindof lightweight frame under a extra large coat that could keep the fabric pushed out and you could simply keep your arms and hands free inside with the tx.
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:09 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan
Since I live in vermont, every year at this time I have to concern myself with cold weather flying. I have tried different gloves, but find that for me, I don't like having fabric, no matter how thin it may be, to get between my finger tips and the sticks. Well, this morning I flew a pack before work with some gloves that come with the fingers and thumbs cut out but have mitten flaps that can be folded back over the exposed digits between flights. The air temp was 32 degrees and it was actually lightly snowing, but my fingers remained warm.

I will test them again this evening and if the results are good I'll provide product information...

I'm interested.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2009, 01:55 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,253 Posts
I came home early and flew two more packs

Okay, I just flew two more packs and these flying gloves are winners. They are made by a company called Woolrich. And after just three packs I am used to them. I received them as a gift last spring and forgot all about them until yesterday. I don't know where they were purchased but I'll do an on-line search to see if I can come up with a vendor and cost...
Old Oct 15, 2009, 02:31 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
I tried some cheap gloves this morning....the TX just felt slippery. I need grip. Sometimes things get tense and I find I have a death grip on the TX, it really seems to want to slip out worse with the death grip.

I flew for about 1 minute before I landed and took off the gloves. Going to try tight leather gloves, I used to wear those skydiving and they worked great for that. I figure if I can get skin tight leather gloves and cut the thumbs off they will work.

It was ~32 deg here as well this morning. My hands get cooooooold flying without gloves
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Oct 15, 2009, 02:45 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,253 Posts
Well, it turns out that they are "pop-top" hunting gloves :-)

I am still searching for the exact fleece, "pop-top" hunting gloves I have by Woolrich, but in my search I found something that looks close to the pair I am using. The gloves I found on google sell for $15.96 Here's a link, and if I find the Woolrich ones I'll post an update: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2...s-For-Men.html

Edited: Read the reviews at the link. It seems that outdoor photographers use these type of gloves. I guess we can add "R/c heli fliers" to the list of users :-)
Last edited by elan; Oct 15, 2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: clarity
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:11 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,511 Posts
I was thinking of modifying an old pair of leather gloves by cutting out small circles where your thumb print is that would allow the tips of the sticks to touch your thumbs. The holes would be small enough not to let too much cold air in - just a little larger than the diameter of the sticks - the rest of the thumb would be covered.

This would do little if you use a tray and the thumb/fore finger method though.

-John
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Oct 16, 2009, 02:56 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,311 Posts
Just missed this deal, by a few months. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...nsmitter+glove
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob