HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:44 AM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
501 Posts
New Product
park Zone Ultra-Micro J-3 Cub

Check out this new micro cub from ParkZone available in RTF and BNF.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3980
pdansalvish is offline Find More Posts by pdansalvish
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2009, 06:43 AM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Dec 2005
857 Posts
Yay, this is the one I've always wanted!

Ricky
rickgode is offline Find More Posts by rickgode
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:27 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,042 Posts
Okay, I've got mine on back order, along with the 4-site.

I should go back and order a couple of props for each.

It would be fantastic if they came up with a set of floats for the cub! I can make my own, but some scale Edo's would look fantastic, even flying over grass. When I was a kid you could see lightplanes flying over NYC all the time and a lot of them were planes like cubs flying from the City Island area to Little Ferry in NJ.

It's a pretty good looking cub. Not perfect, the wheels are placed a bit wide and the details like LG bungees and struts are missing. Ailerons would be nice, but this has been kept simple, probably to encourage less able fliers, or maybe so guys can teach their kids. They did get the look of the wheels right.

One of the nice things about the cub is that it probably uses less battery power than the P-51, Sukhoi and mSR, so I can (maybe) use my Hobby King batteries without any problems.

I'd say I can hardly wait, but I have to mention that I have a Vapor, two Sukhoi's, two P-51 (untested, brought home last night) and an mSR. Also, a couple of things in the building queue, so I've got more stuff than I have time to fly right now. No rush, just make sure I have one ready to fly at our December meeting please!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
as i posted elsewhere its basically a citabria replacement and its nice they have one now. i was looking for something like that.
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:36 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Whoa. Way to go, Horizon!!

Keep making these, we'll keep buying them!!

It's nice that they've marked this one at $89.99 for the BNF...probably since it's a 3ch.

Does that mean they'll mark down the Vapor BNF too?
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Oct 15, 2009, 08:03 AM
A&P Mechanic
San Antonio
Joined Mar 2005
326 Posts
way to go? whatever.... this is a step back. This could have been made with the vapor board a year ago. They have an amazing brick available with the ar6400 and they go in this route and release a 3 channel. way to go!

dont get me wrong. I love the cub. Is this really any different than the citabria?

Just when the mighty HH is in the redzone they fumble.

Dave

p.s. go ahead and reveal the true release, this cant be the only thing in line for xmas.
may-day is offline Find More Posts by may-day
Old Oct 15, 2009, 08:14 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by may-day
dont get me wrong. I love the cub. Is this really any different than the citabria?
better engine, prop, actually. and its BNF.
but yeah its like a citabria. I don't think this should be taken as a "grand new product release" like the msr, sukhoi, p51 have been.

its just filling the gap that the citabria left when they discontinued it.

and its filling it nicely. i don't know if it had been better with 4 ch or not (i suppose some ppl do want the 3 channel ones)

Now if they did something innovative, like having floats, (tiny bright lights partnership also?), even stuff u can drop, or a glider u can tow, etc as equipement that'd sure be nice and feel "new"
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Oct 15, 2009, 08:22 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by may-day
way to go? whatever.... this is a step back. This could have been made with the vapor board a year ago. They have an amazing brick available with the ar6400 and they go in this route and release a 3 channel. way to go!

Just when the mighty HH is in the redzone they fumble.

Dave

p.s. go ahead and reveal the true release, this cant be the only thing in line for xmas.
We've already got the Sukhoi, P-51, mSR and the 4-site is on its way. These are for at least moderately experienced fliers. Both the Citabria and the Cessna were IMHO fairly crude, with way too much downthrust. My old rubber powered scale jobs, which started off with a huge burst of power used less downthrust! The cub is probably a bit better designed, and also manages to be a plane with worldwide popularity. I can't fly my Sukhoi or P-51 at a club meeting, but I probably can fly the cub at a meeting until it gets crowded.

Now I would like a newer Citabria with ailerons! I flew my first split S, and loop in a full scale Citabria many years ago.

What I would really like is an RF4-D with a pretty small prop, so it can glide without too much drag. That would be a departure from the usual, but an interesting ship to fly when there are gentle thermals around. With these linear servos it could even have a retract wheel.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 15, 2009, 08:34 AM
Memphis, TN
Joined Apr 2007
1,688 Posts
awesome. will buy.

i never got a chance the get the citabria so this will be it.
Torx is offline Find More Posts by Torx
Old Oct 15, 2009, 09:21 AM
Figure 9 Expert
USA
Joined Feb 2007
665 Posts
Not ANOTHER charger!
Chompers is offline Find More Posts by Chompers
Old Oct 15, 2009, 09:33 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,358 Posts
whoa i love the molded wing ribs.
trust416 is offline Find More Posts by trust416
Old Oct 15, 2009, 09:44 AM
A&P Mechanic
San Antonio
Joined Mar 2005
326 Posts
This cub should only cost 50$ max. For the price of 89$ dropping another 10er for an aircraft with the ar6400 is a no brainer.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 09:51 AM
A&P Mechanic
San Antonio
Joined Mar 2005
326 Posts
I hope that they sell the airframe seperate from the guts. I can see an ar6400 brushless powered cub with tundra tires and some suburban front yard bush flying
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:18 AM
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torx
awesome. will buy.

i never got a chance the get the citabria so this will be it.
I picked up a citabria two months ago... bummer...
Gunner_969 is offline Find More Posts by Gunner_969
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:51 AM
Memphis, TN
Joined Apr 2007
1,688 Posts
i really like the detail in this plane.
Torx is offline Find More Posts by Torx