HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:48 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Moonbeam...

A little more power might be fun, but it doesn't need much.
Most guys just switch out the props for one that has a little more pitch and find that it picks up a lot more performance.
I actually prefer the way it flies compared to a grossly overpowered 3D machine with barn door control surfaces.
The aerobatics are different, performing maneuvers requires proper inputs and a little finesse instead of the "slamming sticks around and watching what happens" 3D aerobatics.
It is a capable little model, and looks much more convincing as a scale Pitts without gobs of thrust.
Most entry level full-scale Pitts would be considered capable aerobatic trainers, it's only the highly modified ones that are competitive at unlimited aerobatic maneuvers.
So in that respect, I think it fits the bill perfectly.

Move the controls out to the very last hole on the arm, bring the CG a little more aft, and you'll probably be surprised at how well it responds to input.
About a millimeter ahead of the rear CG limit improved the rudder and elevator effectiveness/responsiveness while keeping stable flight characteristics.
Going aft of the rear limit made post-stall maneuvers very interesting, although it was a bit difficult to land and took longer to recover from stalls and spins.
Mixing rudder in with the ailerons really helped with the roll rate and slow flight turns/rolls.
I used about 20% on mine without overpowering coordinated flight with excess rudder.
Try a prop swap before you give up on the stock motor/ESC.
At least one member here has collapsed the upper wing from excess speeds after a motor swap, so it's definitely something to watch out for.
The 10x8 will give you the perfect amount of speed and amp draw for this motor and model combo, IMO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
SuperCub 10x8E (we nickname it a paddle prop)
Full: 18.44a 218w

the stock nuts fit perfectly in the rear of the prop. prop is a great fit to shaft aswell, no play
i have a truckload of these things laying around i can now put to use

WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:59 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
The consensus at the ArtTech Corsair page, which uses the very same motor, is that the Super Cub/P51 10 x 8 prop is what this motor likes...
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:18 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,290 Posts
No need to change the motor. Just put a 11x7 on it and it will have good vertical performance. Pretty much unlimited. I put a 30amp in it just to be safe. My aileron control rods were hitting the foam inside the fuse so I had to trim some away. I also put a bigger control arm on the servo and set the aileron travel to the max. Before i did it my pitts could barely roll once. Now it roll pretty good but, could still use more. I also did the same with the rudder and elevator. Just pop off the canopy and remove the cardboard section of the cockpit to access the servos. The servos are close together but, you can put bigger arms on them too. Now I can do knife edge loops, they're not the prettiest but, it can do them.
I hot rod almost everything but, this one just needed more prop. It was way to tame before I did the mods. Low rates were impossible to use. I still only fly in high rates and all control grows maxes out but, it's 100x's better and more fun to fly.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:08 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,212 Posts
Cool! Thanks guys!! Yeah that's what I was looking for. I'm not a 3D flyer, and I definitely like my planes to fly scale. Just this Pitts rolled like a Piper Cub rather than a Pitts.

The motor is (according to the useless manual), a 3A01C and BH's specs list says it's around 970kv. (Here's the actual quote from their site: "Brushless Outrunner High Torque 970Kv Motor, Sensorless 18amp Speed Control, and 1800mah 11.1 Volt Li-Po Battery Pack").

Is that prop from the Cub the same as the ones from the old FW190 and "Frankie" version of the PZ P-51? If so...... SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!! I have a ton of them!!!

WestTexasKing,
Since she wants to climb at anything over 35% throttle, are you sure I shouldn't put weight in the nose? Even with a 2250 30C it was climbing with less than 1/2 throttle. I did that battery hatch mod where ya put it in at an angle from the Rx compartment and angled up toward the nose. It actually very easy to get the battery in and out that way. BIG thanks to whoever it was that posted that!!

Kuczy,
If I go with an 11x7 won't I need bigger diameter wheels? Or is there no threat of prop strike on T/O roll?
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:26 PM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post

DOGS DONT BELONG AT FLYING CLUBS <----
a black lab that was under nobody's control was chasing every plane and every dog within sight.

3 attempts at landing, and 3 times i had to avoid hitting it on the strip, with my beloved Pitts Special as it wandered around
on the final climb out + bank turn to avoid it i lost power, stalled. and heres the result.

you cant fly your plane safely while also looking for pets on the loose when you land.
Thanks to Georgia's Leash Laws, I just hit the dogs if I have to, let the owner cry about it.

Seriously though, I did encounter a similar problem, and I just buzzed the dog really low twice. He got out of the way real quick.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:31 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Moonbeam,

That's a different motor so the prop recommendations don't apply. The sttiP motor is 700Kv, which is why it needs more prop pitch. Also, you only have an 18A ESC so loading up the motor too much will blow the ESC. Unless you have access to a Watt meter, you need to be careful about over propping.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:39 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Cool! Thanks guys!! Yeah that's what I was looking for. I'm not a 3D flyer, and I definitely like my planes to fly scale. Just this Pitts rolled like a Piper Cub rather than a Pitts.

The motor is (according to the useless manual), a 3A01C and BH's specs list says it's around 970kv. (Here's the actual quote from their site: "Brushless Outrunner High Torque 970Kv Motor, Sensorless 18amp Speed Control, and 1800mah 11.1 Volt Li-Po Battery Pack").

Is that prop from the Cub the same as the ones from the old FW190 and "Frankie" version of the PZ P-51? If so...... SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!! I have a ton of them!!!

WestTexasKing,
Since she wants to climb at anything over 35% throttle, are you sure I shouldn't put weight in the nose? Even with a 2250 30C it was climbing with less than 1/2 throttle. I did that battery hatch mod where ya put it in at an angle from the Rx compartment and angled up toward the nose. It actually very easy to get the battery in and out that way. BIG thanks to whoever it was that posted that!!

Kuczy,
If I go with an 11x7 won't I need bigger diameter wheels? Or is there no threat of prop strike on T/O roll?
If that 970kv rating is correct I'd start with something like a 9x7 and go from there. Also remember you're going to get alot more thrust from a slow fly prop than just your standard sport prop in the equivalent size. And you can forget about an 11x7 if that kv you said is correct
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:18 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
I did that battery hatch mod where ya put it in at an angle from the Rx compartment and angled up toward the nose. It actually very easy to get the battery in and out that way.
Don't forget to change the screws up top so you don't poke holes through your battery
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:24 PM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,212 Posts
Thank yous!!!

Hey Gang!
Thanks for the responses. I only did one rookie mistake so far. I haven't Watt Metered it yet, BUT the Cub prop, (which is the same as my old brushed PZ Mustang) did the trick!! I did a short 4 minute flight since that was all the time I had, and she flew EXACTLY like I wanted. Much better speed and maneuverability!

Take off and landing went smooth, and she even stuck to the ground well on grass!! It never so much as hinted that it wanted to nose-over, and that's with the stock wheels. So if the Watt check is good, this is the perfect set up for her. It's late and the wife and daughter are asleep so I'll have to Watt it tomorrow.

I'm very pleased with this bird now. I'm hoping that 10x8 will be fine. If I need to go with a bigger ESC I have a 20, and 3 30amp ESCs lying around in the shop. I'll also check that screw situation in the battery compartment. Overall she flew fantastic even with a fairly stout wind to contend with.

THANKS again to all you that suggested the prop change.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:48 PM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,212 Posts
Watt metered

O.K., the wife and lil girl are out like lights. So I did the check, and at WOT it's only pulling 12.43 amps static. I think I'm safe.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:05 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
I can't WAIT to maiden mine!!....Been a week, almost flight ready, waiting for the winds to die down below 30 mph...Maybe by July....

Manual?!??..What manual??...

Speaking of flight ready....I was noticing my wing strut brackets only connect to the wing on the forward portion of the bracket...I'm thinking there is something wrong, perhaps another contact point on the wing under the covering decals?? I'll have to get it back out of the box and get a better look...
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:01 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Yeah, that's what the black thumb screws are for.
The decal sheet covers the hole for them, but if you know what you're looking for you can see it.
Threads go through to the strut and into a small threaded hole.
I think we were just talking about this too LOL

FYI, flies pretty solid without them
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:05 AM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,212 Posts
Look that strut over real good. The set that came with my plane didn't have the screw holes in the top of the strut. The replacement pair did.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:32 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
Whew!...Thanks guys!...
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:57 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
front compartment, I use 1300's and 1500's.
jbc - what brand of batteries are you using, because I can't get my Turnigy 15's to fit in the front compartment even after removing that foam block in the fuse. The Turnigy 1500 and 1800 mah batteries are basically the same length so I have been useing the diagonal method...
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76