HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:20 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
You'll have trouble getting any battery in that small, crappy battery compartment I mounted my esc in the rear-most "battery box", insert a 1600mah lipo into the tiny box with wires in first and pointed to the rear. Fish the battery's dean connector into the rear "esc box" and connect there. I have flown mine with a 1300mah (about 110g I think) and while it seemed to fly ok, when inverted the thing would shoot upward bigtime!@! With the extra weight of the 1600 upfront and elevator trimmed for level flight, inverted is almost hands off.

Have fun with her Orion!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:39 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Well I actually had to add foam insulation tape to two sides of the 1500's for it to fit without flopping around. The original 1800mah had cell spacers, and was a very tight fit, in fact too tight and required quite a bit of forcing to get it in.

But when I first got the 1500's from HK, they being smaller and not having any cell spacers were way too narrow and I had to add the foam tape to get them to fit and not be too loose. I was afraid they'd flop into, and inside the fuse and with nowhere to go but backward that would not be good as it would throw the CG back while in flight. Plus if this happened, it would be free to flop around inside the fuse, again.......not good. So, I added the foam so they didnt move once in place.

I havent checked lately, but I think the Hobby Lobby AT Pitts comes with an 1800mah battery like the Cox one did.
So it has always seemed to me that if an 1800mah battery can fit, anyting smaller has to have something to take up the extra space to keep the battery from slipping or flopping.

Well since Sammy posted his onboard video, I geuss one good video deserves another.
Christen Eagle at Pfieffer Field (8 min 28 sec)
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:45 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
Yes, once inside the battery can flop around. That's why I mentioned that I made foam "guard rails" to keep mine safely in place....
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:16 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Man these videos are great. Keep em coming guys because this plane finally has a home thread. I have 3 weeks at least till I get mine so the more video the better.

I hate misinformation on websites. So if the battery doesn't work out I will sell all 5 and get me something I can work with.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:01 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Aug 2009
57 Posts
I ordered mine too the other day. I will have to wait till they get some out of stock stuff to complete my entire order before it all will ship. one darn thing holding up my whole order. I will post as soon as I get it. I hope someone gets it, I am patiently waiting to hear about it in its new HC form.
Iron City is offline Find More Posts by Iron City
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:43 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well my plane was shipped so hopefully it will be here in a couple of weeks.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:15 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
I think what ya'all will like about Art Tech's Pitts is the fact that its so nearly ready to fly right out the box. The only planes more ready would be the PZ micro planes such as the Cessna, Citabria, and the latest the P-51.

The tailplane is all together, and all thats left is installing your receiver, mounting the wings, attaching the canopy and charging the battery.
Even the prop is already on, motor installed, and ESC as well.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:08 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I look for simplicity in building a plane like this. The kit looked pretty quick on the site so all should be good to go.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:34 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
I love my Cox version-ed CE, same plane.
when breezy, I can land it right in front of my feet.
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:17 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Yes it does handle in winds quite well. And this, owed to it's symetrical airfoils.

Yeah you get a bit of wing waggle in rough air, but this pretty much goes for any plane.
Yep I love my CE also, and am still flying the first one bought and not a bit of trouble out of it other than the ESC failing roughly a year and a half into owning it. Replaced with a T-bird 18 and all was well again.

The second one, still safely in it's box waiting for that fatefull day.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:23 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Man these videos are great. Keep em coming guys because this plane finally has a home thread. I have 3 weeks at least till I get mine so the more video the better.
---------
Mine will probably arrive tomorrow, don't you also fly the skyartec cessna ?
I'm really looking forward to getting the Pitts, and from these videos it seems it's really maneuvrable and flies very well.

Can anybody who flies it tell how it lands ? Do you need a lot of throttle because of drag, or does it glide in the last meters ?
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:26 PM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk View Post
I think what ya'all will like about Art Tech's Pitts is the fact that its so nearly ready to fly right out the box. The only planes more ready would be the PZ micro planes such as the Cessna, Citabria, and the latest the P-51.

The tailplane is all together, and all thats left is installing your receiver, mounting the wings, attaching the canopy and charging the battery.
Even the prop is already on, motor installed, and ESC as well.
---------

Sounds great !
I'm getting mine tomorrow or the day after....bought 1300 batteries, but if they're light, I'll just add some weight - dead weight or flycam

Tailplane all together scares me a bit, no transport damage please...
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:31 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
---------
Mine will probably arrive tomorrow, don't you also fly the skyartec cessna ?
I'm really looking forward to getting the Pitts, and from these videos it seems it's really maneuvrable and flies very well.

Can anybody who flies it tell how it lands ? Do you need a lot of throttle because of drag, or does it glide in the last meters ?
I used to.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:43 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
---------

Lands as easy, or maybe even easier than a SuperCub. Leave a little power on all the way to touchdown and she just floats in
Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:21 AM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Lands as easy, or maybe even easier than a SuperCub. Leave a little power on all the way to touchdown and she just floats in
--------

SWEET !
I was a little bit afraid it would be easy to stall this one.