HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:09 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathergoat View Post
the turnigy motor upgrade is far more power than I'll ever need on my pitts. but the idea of using a tailhook to snag a pomeranian does intrigue me...
LOLOLOLOL!!!! You guys are killing me!!
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:02 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,060 Posts
LOL,

Ok guys I am buidling my sttiP #2 I thought the lower wing had a little more gap from the fuselage saddle than I remember on my other two sttiP's....so I pulled the plastic lower wing front mount bracket peice from its original placement where it is fitted against the rear of the battery tray....then I thought ...if I do raise this position in order to get the lower wing to meet up with the fuselage...then I am Changing the angle of attack of the bottom wing...and will also cause deformity with the wing struts as they would force more pressure on the top wings.

Looking at sttiP #1 the gap is about the same...and after filling the gap with silicone to it....ha always flown execellent.

So I am going to again fill the bottom wing/fuselage gap with Silocone to not only fill the gap but also provide some stiffness to the plane as well as provide support of that section.

I'll post up some photos of the plane.....with LED kit....I know it's hokey and silly to add lights. I for one have never seen any Pitts with NAV lights.....of all the pilots I met who built and flew a Pitts would never fly at night and never got FAA experimental airframe approval to fly at night....so I took Liberty and install LED lights where I wanted to just for fun.....

(EDIT) West Texas King...I should have consorted with you first regarding LED lights.....dang it!!

Photos to come soon

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Mar 03, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:07 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Twisted, just glue some flashlights to the wing, use a marker to make them different colors...it sure beats all of that wiring business.
Then you'll have a realistic scale model
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:24 PM
Never trade Luck for Skill
United States, NY, Cape Vincent
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Thanks for the clarification guys, I've been consuming all the info I can find trying to get back 'into' this hobby, with all these new materials, new designs, and new methods of building, hoping to bring my outdated knowledge into the 21st century

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
I'll post up some photos of the plane.....with LED kit....I know it's hokey and silly to add lights. I for one have never seen any Pitts with NAV lights.....of all the pilots I met who built and flew a Pitts would never fly at night and never got FAA experimental airframe approval to fly at night....so I took Liberty and install LED lights where I wanted to just for fun...
lol somehow NAV lights never occured to me, after a quick google-fu all I found was one Pitts pilot about 10 yrs ago being cited for not using NAV lights, a flight delay made him land 7 minutes after 'official' sundown time, even though it was still daylight at the time

So why bother with 'regulation' NAV lights if they're not scale? Go wild like this one!

PittsLED1 (1 min 46 sec)

Looking forward to seeing yours, TG!

Dusty
S4WDU5T is offline Find More Posts by S4WDU5T
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:21 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Civil twilight lasts for 30min after sunset, so you can fly for up to 30min after sunset and still be flying in "daylight" according to the FAA.
Really hard to enforce something like that unless you're landing at a controlled airport.
That's why I don't fly to those places
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:33 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention...I have committed sacrilege!
Ordered the EPP Pitts from HK:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12492

Figured it was about time I owned a profile model, and an EPP model, and a 3D biplane, and a really easy plane to fly...it seemed to tick all the boxes.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:41 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
Oh, forgot to mention...I have committed sacrilege!
Ordered the EPP Pitts from HK:.....
Meh? - what sacrilege? It IS a Pitts, just not a sttiP. OK, say 5 Hail Continentals and proceed. You are absolved of sin.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:35 AM
How do I land this thing?
United States, IN, Warsaw
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
the one that tempts me the most is the one from EPP Hobby
http://epphobby.com/store/Best-Epp-3...pitts-s2cx-arf
fathergoat is offline Find More Posts by fathergoat
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:49 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Pretty expensive for a bare airframe though!
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:32 PM
United States, IL, La Grange Park
Joined May 2012
194 Posts
Had a brief maiden flight yesterday.

Cold day with light winds flying off of frozen snow pack. Take off was fine but then I pulled the power down too quick before I had some altitude. Plane was buffeted by some wind so I brought it down as gently as I could. Broke the propeller - no other damage. My time was limited by a very busy day so I did not replace the propeller yet.

I think my take away was keep the power up until I have speed and altitude. I didn't even get a chance to start timming it. Total flight time was about 15 sec.

Waiting for better conditions and daylight savings time so I can fly in the evening instead of only on weekend.
ad skyraider is offline Find More Posts by ad skyraider
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:17 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,060 Posts
OK,

So I put wax paper on the top surface of the lower wing...where it would contact the DAP All-Purpose Adheasive Sealant Aquarium Safe 100% Silicone that I apply to the fuselage wing saddle....put the lower wing loosely back in place and synch it up to the fuselage just shy of 50% normal position at the 12hr mark.

At the 24hr mark the Silicone is cured....and it adheared to the WAX PAPER!!! Man....sticky stuff!...I am able to trim off the excess wax paper silicon square off from the fuselage straight nice and clean...but there is no way to -separate- the wax paper from the silicone...amazing! Anyway I now have a nice tight mating surface of the lower wing to the entire fuselage wing saddle.....bolts right up and straight of course..providing a tight and rigid lower wing mount.

So be aware if you use this type of silone sealant to fill the lower wing to fuselage saddle gap...you better use something inbetween the two surfaces or you will permantly join the two surfaces together.....not sure if you would be able to remove the lower wing without significant damage in doing so...if you don't use wax paper or something.

1. Super Tigre .10 motor with custom motor mount, offset for some right down thrust
2. Carbon fiber slatted top and lower wing
3. LED kit installed (Top wing left red/right green; lower wing leading edge solid white; lower wing tips flashing white, rear canopy red flashing, lower fuselage aft wing saddle red flashing
4. Three coats Minwax Polycrylic water based clear simi-gloss
5. Spektrum SPMR7010 7ch receiver and sat mounted inside cockpit
6. Re-inforced inside engine cowling with clear packing tape
7. 40amp BESC deployed
8. Marvin the Martian (Inter Planetary Molecular Re-Arranging Pitts Pilot)
8. Park Zone Super Cub landing gear deloyment with strut supports pending
9. Carbon fiber wing cables pending
10. Tail section carbon fiber boxing support pending
11. Configure and set up C.O.G. pending
11. Maiden with 10x5x3 MAS prop
12. Experiment with 10x8 MAS prop
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:29 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
OK,

At the 24hr mark the Silicone is cured....and it adheared to the WAX PAPER!!
Well.......yeah.............BUT!! Look at it this way; You now will have a squeak-free wing/fuse joint, lubricated as it is by the wax paper!
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:36 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Well.......yeah.............BUT!! Look at it this way; You now will have a squeak-free wing/fuse joint, lubricated as it is by the wax paper!
I use saran wrap and it as worked fine different types of silicone over te year. Noting seems to stick to tat stuff.
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:41 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,060 Posts
Ya,

I think saran wrap might have worked better....but even with the wax paper still on the overall objective was met.

I am no pro at this hobby ....and consider myself a novice in every way....I have 17 planes in my hangar now....could not conceive in May of last year what I would do with three!!! Anyway this little Pitts is such a fun flyer......My current ModisOperendae is to purchase and build a second plane or sistership to any plane that I really enjoy....such is the case with this HK Spitts/sttiP....Now I am really curious to see what the difference is flying this bird with the Super Tigre motor and MAS 10x5x3 prop with the aluminum spinner assembly. Just spinning it up on on the bench I can feel the stronger pull....also noticing that it takes just a little bit to get all that prop and spinner up to higher RPM.....much stronger when it gets there....in contrast the stock motor with the 10x8 GWS prop spools up very quickly then maxes out to full thrust in a jiffy (Jiffy means really quick...but I can't tell you how fast it is).

Anyway it is a good excersize to build a sister ship applying the lessens learned from an original build....apply better modifications...faster build time...less time analyzing each section of modifications to the build.....I should be able to complete HKsttiP #2 Marvin Martian Interplanetary Molecular Re-arranger Super Tigre Pitts Special in a few more hours of build.....

I will see if all the talk about the Super Tigre .10 MAS 10x5x3 and aluminum spinner was just all a big load 'O interplanetary hype

TwistedGrin
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:04 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,836 Posts
Can the 3-blade, go to an APC 10x8 electric prop, and get ready to figure out ow to get around the new, speed-induced aileron and elevator flutter problems you're gonna have.