HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,680 Posts
Right back at'cha, Tex! Hope Santa has taken good care of ya!

Clear skies and smooth flying!
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:56 PM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
Merry Xmas to all!
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
290 Posts
As we all know, this plane is made by Art Tech. www.motionrc.com has full part support for the art tech version (different graphics than Hobbyking's). They are working on possibly getting cowls too! (that is not definite yet)
spaceinvader is offline Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:04 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Nice find!
Always good to know of another place selling the sttiP and parts.
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
Never trade Luck for Skill
United States, NY, Cape Vincent
Joined May 2012
137 Posts
spaceinvader - thank you, nice to see someone actually stocking some of the parts we might need, though take note that the Wing Kit (and the aircraft itself) in this color/version only comes with the ailerons hinged on the lower wing, while the HK blue one has ailerons on both wings. The full kit/box prices seem all over the board though... your link lists $121 for the ARF version (sans radio and battery) HERE, while NitroPlanes.com has the full RTF (the one I got) with radio, battery, and charger for $132.31 (currently out of stock) HERE or the ARF for $129 HERE.

Then over at HobbyKing they have their ARF version, the one with the blue stripes and 4 ailerons, for $74.99 HERE, this is the one I've been planning to get just to have another waiting in the hangar for the inevitable eventual replacement need, but so far my original is still going strong so I've been putting off the purchase of a 'brother from another mother' for it until the wallet recovers a bit from the holiday madness

Dusty
S4WDU5T is offline Find More Posts by S4WDU5T
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
I am still looking for a canopy alone...as a spare part.
Anyone?
Last edited by rodair; Dec 31, 2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:33 PM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
290 Posts
I originally bought mine from Nitro. It only had ailerons on bottom even thought their pictures showed them on top ( I was never able to get a decent answer from them as to why or if they would correct). If you look at any seller that has the art tech version, they only have bottom ailerons. I simply cut mine, peeled back decals, hinge tape, and made my own connectors. I also have the HK version in a box for a spare. I thing I convinced MotioRC to get the cowls. Should have mentioned the canopies too. Send them an email.
spaceinvader is offline Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:30 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
You mean that the top aileron outline wasn't there at all or you had to cut only the tips of the ailerons to have them fonctional?
Thanks for heads up about MotionRC I was going to order but I'll wait since send them an e-mail as you suggest.
I went to their site and wanting to order a replacement fuselage and wing it came out that the shipping calculator is either doing funny things or it's way out since it's more than 5 times then if I order new plane kit for shipping ! about the price of a new one at HK.
I also didn't know if the fuse come as shown in the picture ( with cowling prop and stab)?
It's a few days no answer yet.
Roger
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined May 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodair View Post
You mean that the top aileron outline wasn't there at all or you had to cut only the tips of the ailerons to have them fonctional?
The molded outline is there for them, but they're not hinged and have no hardware/linkages in the box, you have to cut them free entirely then re-attach with your fave hinge method and work out your own connection link to the lower ones.

Dusty
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined May 2012
137 Posts
On the topic of connecting the ailerons, there was discussion some pages back in this thread that the stock plastic clamp/connectors that come on the 4-aileron versions were a problem to find. I found a simple fix in jetset44's Fokker DR-1 thread, just cut a slot in the ailerons and glue in the tab as shown in the pic, then connect with a basic pushrod between them, easy and done!

Hope this helps

Dusty
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:50 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,680 Posts
Nice!

Dusty, that's the cleanest/neatest tab setup I've seen yet! Good stuff!
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
Yea thanks Dusty for the picture and info's too!
What's up with Art-Tech no more upper ailerons linkages....saving cost idea?
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:26 PM
Joined May 2012
137 Posts
More than welcome for the info, gentlemen, actually I thought sure I'd already shared it in this thread after stumbling across it some time back, but better late than never! I planned to use it on mine but didn't get to it before the winter moved in and covered my runway in deep snow, so being grounded it'll get done and be ready by spring thaw, hopefully

rodair - I'm not sure how their distributorship works, but I don't think it's Art-Tech themselves cutting anything, the Art-Tech site shows their 'stock' Pitts with just the lower ailerons, same setup and color scheme we got from Nitroplanes and the one shown at MotionRC. It would seem depending on who is ordering they might likely tool up the factory for whatever version the distributor wants, as seen with the HobbyKing version with ailerons on both wings and the different blue stripes decals, or the BananaHobby one that also has ailerons on both wings, and same stock color/decals on the wings, but their cowl/fuse/gear assembly and the plastic wing strut parts are entirely red!

It's a nice idea that each distributor can get their own 'version' so they aren't selling the exact same thing everyone else is selling, and there aren't so many exact duplicate airframes on the flightline at the club, but few seem to bother to stock or sell parts for their 'custom' version, unless perhaps the factory runs are limited to full-box kits and not just random assortments of parts?

We'd probably have to talk to an Art-Tech employee to know for sure

Dusty
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
Dusty,
I just when to MotionRC site and I was more than impress since they are adding daily stuff + more info's so it look like finally a place to get some spares!..I also had a chance to look at the new FREEWING bipe amongs other brands but I really like the look of this one ( not as big as the FMS bipe) since I am flying at a local ball park and they also cary spares for it.
I sent them an e-mail and had an answer right away, they are more "customer oriented" more than any other sites that carry the Art-Tech Bipe I also saw they will have a kind of "video contest" of some kind and it could be interesting for people here...it looks like we will have to buy more
See this link:
http://www.motionrc.com/free-plane/

Roger
Last edited by rodair; Jan 05, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:47 PM
Joined May 2012
137 Posts
rodair - after dealing with a few chinese companies, "customer oriented" would be a nice change of pace, I'll keep them in mind!

The video link sounds like a great opportunity to score some free planes, though I'd be hard-pressed to take advantage myself, mostly the lack of a good camera-person as my son can usually keep it pointed in the right general direction... usually

I imagine they'd prefer stock, out-of-the-box airframes for demo videos, by now I think most of us here have altered or modded our sttiP's at least with the upper wing ailerons, if not the suggested carbon-fiber spars as a bit of overstress insurance

Dusty