SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
Inverted flight sucks...it doesn't matter how tight you get those lap belts, when you start pulling negative G's it always feels like you're going to fall out of the stupid plane LOL
All the dirt and pebbles you brought into the plane via your shoes flies up into your eyeballs (and if it's a cropduster, most likely chemical-laden as well), your wallet and cigarettes fly out of your pocket and into the wild blue yonder, the tools you keep in that little pocket underneath the throttle quadrant hit the mag switch and kill the engine, and that drink that you just opened sprays all over the windshield further inhibiting your dirt encrusted vision (and if it's a cropduster, the seals on the hopper door don't work and spray chemical on the outside of the windshield too).
Fortunately, the roll of paper towels you keep to clean the windshield off have anticipated the issue and are currently unrolling to fill the empty spaces of the cockpit and whipping around in an attempt to clean everything off.
Of course, this is in addition to what happened on takeoff, where the left tire ran over a cow patty and covered your shoulder with steaming globs while the other one flings mud on your right shoulder, the top of your head smeared with blood and feathers from the dove you scared up and flew into the prop, and since there's a crisp wind blowing in the morning...snot running across your cheeks because there is no heater and you're wearing leather flying gloves.
Ah yes, the thrill of an open-cockpit biplane...

Now where was I....oh yes.
The worst maneuver in aerobatics is starting into the box inverted for several seconds then immediately snapping to a 6G pull.
During inverted flight the capillaries in your brain constrict due to excess blood, so when you start pulling positive G's not only does your heart have to pump your blood at 6G's, it also has to do it through restricted blood vessels.
It's only impressive by order of the pilot's health and stamina, not so much visually...
Brings back memories of my first sortes in excropduster Stearman in early 70's!
You didn't mention the effects from front passenger the first time you take them inverted!
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:29 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Hey, at least in a Stearman you can duck inside under the windshield, you can't do any evasive actions if the passenger is sitting right next to you.
At the very least, all aircraft should have specific grab bars for each seat.
Took my brother in law up for a flight in my Bellanca, his right hand was holding the steel tubing by the windshield and his left hand grabbed the only thing available, my leg.
It was...awkward, to say the least.
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:43 PM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Just about got my Pitts set up how I want her now.

Video below is from a few weeks ago, all from one 10 minute flight but I edited out the bits the keychain cam taped to my sunglasses didn't pick up too well. Whats left isn't great quality but you can see what's going on...................I love this little plane!!

PITTS EDIT.mp4 (3 min 57 sec)
crashnstick is offline Find More Posts by crashnstick
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:28 PM
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,352 Posts
I just received my Hobby King Pitts. Looks decent for the price, but there were a few loose bits in the styrofoam crate, including the nut plates for the lower wing that had come unglued. Oh, and NO instructions? Not much is needed, but an indication of where the cg is would be nice. The Q&A section on the website at least provided an answer...I'm using the rear bolt on the top wing.

Here's one mod I did. I hated the Z-bends and the squidgy little grommets on the aileron linkage, altogether too much bind and not precise enough. So I sleeved the grommets with a short piece of Ny-rod and made L-bends in the linkage, secured with set-screw collars. A lot less friction! Took some doing to get the Ny-Rod through the grommets. Use WD-40, and a decent length of tubing to serve as a "handle." Once it's through, cut it off flush with grommet.
dk944s2 is offline Find More Posts by dk944s2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:19 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,716 Posts
Holy Moly.....

I'm probably months late to knowing this, but has anybody picked up one of these yet?

http://www.bananahobby.com/pitts-spo...rd1.html#video

This thing is huge - and not a Python either. Looks neat. I think one of ours could fit on one side of the lower wing.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:34 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Stumbled on it a week ago, it's on the Christmas list LOL
Is that a sweet looking Pitts or what????
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:42 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,716 Posts
It is AWESOME - even old fart eyes like mine wouldn't have to squint to see this one! And the flight vid, to me, looks like one of ours on a mega-steroid dose.

Bought too many others in the past 2 months, so this one can't be on the radar screen for a couple months. Tex, if Santa treats you right -like he just oughta - PLEASE post up on how much we're missing out on!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:38 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,897 Posts
Dudes,

This sucks....I thought I was done ordering and assembling planes and learning to fly them....this one looks like what I should have been flying for months....the reviews lend me to beleive there are not many modifications needed...other than paint if you wanted to.

Oooh boy

Can any of you explain why you would want to switch the power output to the separate BEC as Pete is describing in the flight video.....why not just leave it at factory output setting...

Ooooh boy

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:00 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,897 Posts
WTK and PS.....we need to start a new thread for the 1400 FMS Pitts....face it...were going to get one.....

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:13 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,716 Posts
Prophetic.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
WTK and PS.....we need to start a new thread for the 1400 FMS Pitts....face it...were going to get one.....

TwistedGrin
Sumhow don't think we're gonna be able to resist the pull.... you're right, of course, Twisted, and consequences be damned! This one beckons, like Ahab on the white whale.

And - in agreement with Pete (), at least this time. Using separate power for Rx and servos is a must - I've lost 2 different planes to destroyed ESCs, which took the BEC along with it when they died. It is most distressing, to say the least, to watch your aircraft go snoot-in when you could have saved it, had there only been power to the controls. Never again will I fly one without either separate BEC or separate batt to power up controls. Especially on anything bigger than a 50mm ducted fan size plane.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post

TwistedGrin
Already talked to Santa, we agreed after xmas delivery was A OK!
I am hoping build quality is much better than Art-tech.
My d
d
Dynam and FMS models are much better designed and built.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,716 Posts
Ok!

You're gonna beat us to it, W4! Please be sure to post up on what you find when it arrives.....got to get my hands on one of these.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:54 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Twisted, the BEC on the 1400mm Pitts, from what I can tell, has an adjustable voltage setting.
Off the top of my head I think it's 4.8V and 6.0V output.
Newer servos are starting to use higher voltages so the BEC's don't need to put as many amps out, they can also design the motors inside to work faster, have more torque, or be slightly lighter.
So if you installed servos capable of utilizing 6.0V inputs, you'd switch the BEC to the 6.0V setting.
Don't know if the servos installed on the plane are capable of utilizing that voltage, but I would think they should be?
Maybe they're using the 6.0V output already, and if you had some really nice servos on 4.8V you still have the option of using them.

Might as well get a thread started, I'm getting it for Christmas or I'm buying it soon after
I'll do a search and see if there's already a thread.

EDIT: Already a thread about it, from back in JULY!!! How do we miss this stuff?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1695711
Last edited by WestTexasKing; Dec 12, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:42 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Well, no big box under the tree...still have a few days left so I'm not giving up hope
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:13 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Merry sttiPmas!