HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:28 AM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
When I look at TwistedGrin video among others I can see why they keep their planes so clean for so long..the landing strip.
I had a major with my Bipe I ran into a crowd of geeses! darn birds to many of these now...
Before the incident I had pull pretty hard at one point and the lipo velcro gave up so the Lipo went one side the bipe the other way.. I then repair / rebuild it..thinking to reach the end of the season prior I go back to high wing and skis for the winter and get another one do the mod's over the cold season now that I know exactly what I like to have right from the beginning into our ruff field compare to TwistedGrin one's.
She was doing well, I use a dz of lipo's per outing sometimes twice a day when the weather was permitting so I am sure +300 flights logged on this one so far does it worth to be repair she's pretty fatigue?...
Gee I already miss my Bipe!
Ordering one from HK shipping is really killing me the LHS have a Flyzone Acro WOT MkII maybe I am ready for this transition now...
Roger
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:01 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodair View Post
When I look at TwistedGrin video among others I can see why they keep their planes so clean for so long..the landing strip.
I had a major with my Bipe I ran into a crowd of geeses! darn birds to many of these now...
Before the incident I had pull pretty hard at one point and the lipo velcro gave up so the Lipo went one side the bipe the other way.. I then repair / rebuild it..thinking to reach the end of the season prior I go back to high wing and skis for the winter and get another one do the mod's over the cold season now that I know exactly what I like to have right from the beginning into our ruff field compare to TwistedGrin one's.
She was doing well, I use a dz of lipo's per outing sometimes twice a day when the weather was permitting so I am sure +300 flights logged on this one so far does it worth to be repair she's pretty fatigue?...
Gee I already miss my Bipe!
Ordering one from HK shipping is really killing me the LHS have a Flyzone Acro WOT MkII maybe I am ready for this transition now...
Roger
Rodair, it is good to move up to bigger faster planes....but this plane is such a great flyer.....you will always miss your first love.....You have flown this Pitts a lot....I think you ought to get a new Pitts bipe AND another bird of your choice

LOL
TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
Rodair, it is good to move up to bigger faster planes....but this plane is such a great flyer.....you will always miss your first love.....You have flown this Pitts a lot....I think you ought to get a new Pitts bipe AND another bird of your choice

LOL
TwistedGrin
Another good but bigger choice is Dynams Peaks, sweet flyer and no real mods needed. I did beef up landing gear area and around cabane mounting areas.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
I am not sure yet about what I will order, I have started to put the sttiP together from the puzzle parts, anyone here that have a few spares plastic parts from a smashed one?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:33 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Today my Pitts tried something new... Towing :-)

It did not last very long, but for 10 seconds it towed a multiplex fox. With a line of about 2 meters, just taped to the bottom of the fuselage. The tape came off on the fox actually, so after that I was flying with a line behind the plane. But the small fox did not affect the Pitts much, so this will have to be done again :P
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:17 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
where did you hook the rope on your Bipe ( location)?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:

LOL
TwistedGrin
I so agree! First thing I did after totalling my sttiP was to order a new one - even though I have got a Dynam Pitts Python (the advantage of not living in the US - I got the cooler name on the plane ) and a lot of other different planes. Could not stand being without her, and since my flying skills (hopefully) has improved since the first purchase, the new one will keep her stunning looks a lot longer

I have a couple of planes that will forever stay in my hangar, in one incarnation or another - Champ, HZ SuperCub, sttiP, Dechatlon - and while they are fun to fly, a large part of the reasons to keep them is emotional!
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:58 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
I so agree! First thing I did after totalling my sttiP was to order a new one - even though I have got a Dynam Pitts Python (the advantage of not living in the US - I got the cooler name on the plane ) and a lot of other different planes. Could not stand being without her, and since my flying skills (hopefully) has improved since the first purchase, the new one will keep her stunning looks a lot longer

I have a couple of planes that will forever stay in my hangar, in one incarnation or another - Champ, HZ SuperCub, sttiP, Dechatlon - and while they are fun to fly, a large part of the reasons to keep them is emotional!
LOL,

Same here....I have a commemorative plaque representing a couple models of my R/C squadron...so I must have a flyable R/C model of that plane in operations at all times....if I crash them beyond flight condition...they simply must be replaced with a new model of the same.

The little HK sttiP or Nitro Pitts will always be in my squadron as well

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:58 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodair View Post
where did you hook the rope on your Bipe ( location)?
-----------
Just taped it to the bottom just in front of the rear wheel.
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
Cubber1
Thanks for the info's.
I finally bought the AcroWot and put it together not without pain* and flew it once so far to finalise adjust, some simulator time is defeneatly on order prior to do any advance manouvers and new focal too!
Yes, I have re-built the Pitts too pretty to live without this one at this time since all my lipo's are such plane.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,132 Posts
Hey guys. I'm fixing to pull the trigger on this biplane. I've been wanting a nice little parkflyer biplane for a while now and this seems to fit the bill. I've red quite a few positive comments of people saying this is one of if not their favorite plane in the hangar. Sounds like a winner to me.

I plan to order from the US warehouse and one of the negative reviews I keep reading is people saying the decals literally begin to just chip right off and fall off very easily. I was wondering what you guys experience with this was and if maybe it was just a bad batch or an older problem that has been addressed? I hate for it to start looking bad very quickly due to brittle decals. Any input on this.

Also while I'm on here, I'll throw out a feeler of if anyone has one that is gently used they are wanting to sell let me know before I pull the plug on purchasing a new one. Thanks
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
940 Posts
My decals started coming off while i was putting it together!
I stripped all the decals and found so may little assembly issues I started a rebuild before I flew it. Still working on
the mods. One area that needs work is wing struts, my strut mounting widgets were way over tightened at factory and wing was crushed to the point I could not attach struts. I filled original diviots and am making carbon fiber strutmounts to go in wing and new CF struts. Project is on hold as we can still fly here in Charlotte and I have been enjoying Dynams Peaks (Pitts) which is a great bargin although bigger bird! Hardly any issues with the Peaks just a few reinforcing points and possible rudder and elevator servo change out. Anyway the decals and poor assembly from factory are big turnoff for me. For not much moQre $$ you can get Peaks with fewer issues.
Tim

UOTE=jlcamp7;23118322]Hey guys. I'm fixing to pull the trigger on this biplane. I've been wanting a nice little parkflyer biplane for a while now and this seems to fit the bill. I've red quite a few positive comments of people saying this is one of if not their favorite plane in the hangar. Sounds like a winner to me.

I plan to order from the US warehouse and one of the negative reviews I keep reading is people saying the decals literally begin to just chip right off and fall off very easily. I was wondering what you guys experience with this was and if maybe it was just a bad batch or an older problem that has been addressed? I hate for it to start looking bad very quickly due to brittle decals. Any input on this.

Also while I'm on here, I'll throw out a feeler of if anyone has one that is gently used they are wanting to sell let me know before I pull the plug on purchasing a new one. Thanks[/QUOTE]
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
94 Posts
Quote:
BOBLY,

I definately recommend Carbon Fiber slatting both wings, the stiffness and rigidity this creates is astounding. Additionally it should help your Pitts last longer especially enduring those occaisonal rough landings. I took the lower wing and slatted the top side...a very soft curve around the servo and out to the wing tips just beyond the wing struts. I Carbon Fiber slatted the top wing on the bottom sides... again with a very subtle curve....I think this photo may show mine. I was amazed at how this plane flew...it deserves the mods...take your time. You will like the results.

Also attached is an archived photo from one of this webthread owners who I followed for attaching the ParkZone Cub Landing Gear with retrofitted 2.5inch Dubro wheels. The coat hangar support struts I installed on the Red Pitts were rock solid.

My cowling survived multiple crashes and is still usable for another plane...I used clear post office packaging tape to completely glass the inside of the cowling....my cowling was completely dashed in the bottom from the fatal crash....it just pops back into shape and ready to go again. Otherwise without taping it....I think it would have been small peices of trash.

Move all of your control horns for greatest throws...inside servo arms use outside holes, surface contol horns use inner-most holes. If you have a transmitter with programmable DualRates and Expo...use this to mute the plane down for less aggressive flight characteristics...back to where it would be at stock throws. The flip of your expo switch to full rates will of course set this thing up for airviolence and stick madness.

I can hardly wait to complete my mods to Pitts #2 and start practicing to see if I can envoke WestTexasKing's "Monahans Manuver" (his name for the manuver is yet to be published). Allthough you can bet I will be flying waaaay up there for stunts via Orange 10x8Slow Fly prop.
Im getting a dx6i and scared it might be to aggresive out of the box. What do u recommed the DualRates and Expo settings? I would like it to be set low like my dx5e for now. What do u pilots have yours set to just to get a clue?

Thanks
meanangel is offline Find More Posts by meanangel
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:51 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
70% was a good start for me another good way is to look on how much deflection i.e. ailerons you got before with your DX5 and now with your new DX6i
If you were happy with previous TX setting and deflection ..the only thing is to bind and rebind between the process ot changing TX's and recording (eyeblling).
Don't forget you have a switch that can be trigger in flight for rates.
Good luck and happy flying.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Mar 2012
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
hahaaa that's the same TX I learnt on, good ole DX6i. I've flown this plane on the simulator also and it's not very accurate in my opinion, feels more touchy in real life. For maidens I always go on the side of caution regardless of what anyone says, as I have finally learnt from more than enough crashes
To be safe(as it is such a nice looking plane before you have a few 'bingles' ) I would suggest for your maiden 50% travel with 40% expo for low rate for both ailerons and elevator and 75% travel with 35% expo for your high rate. If you think that might sound a little conservative you have to remember it's ideally an aerobatic plane with very large control surfaces for it's size, once it's up if you find you can't throw it around as much as you want flick to higher rates(75%)and go from there. This is assuming you have the pushrods and control horns set to maximum throw.
Also be aware that the airfoil of the wings are same top and bottom and therefore won't try to right itself for level flight like most planes however this makes it easier to fly inverted.
This is how I started then worked my way upto 100% travel, I flew it like that for a while and now I actually have her set to 65% with 35%expo cos I like to fly it more scale, you'll see when it's up in the air it really does look great just cruising or when doing tricks, this ain't a 3D plane and for all intensive purpose I wouldn't bother trying to fly it like one.
It's funny cos everyone at the field always comment about the Pitts, maybe cos it's a Bipe I'm not sure, but they all like it...even the EDF boys
Need a quick lesson on DualRates and Expo

The lower the number on Expo means the slower reaction time, and higher the number means higher reaction time Travel works the same way
meanangel is offline Find More Posts by meanangel