HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:51 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Aug 2009
57 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing Pitts Special ------------>

Looks like HobbyKing has started making the old Art-tech Pitts. I am not very familiar with the AT one. this Pitts Special looks promising

I was just wondering if anyone has one, has any info or thoughts about it. I am thinking about ordering one. I can't find too much info on the motor other than I think its this Motor

heres a little more motor info

I think its gonna be enough power. I like my birds over powered. It says about 900g of thrust with a 11/4.7. thats about 2 lbs for a 1.1 pound airplane. If you think this motor is junk, what would you suggest?

I was gonna power it with this 1300 LiPo

I look forward to your good/bad comments
Iron City is offline Find More Posts by Iron City
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:17 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Yea, looks like the ArtTech Pitts that's been around for years now. I have the Cox Christen Eagle version (made by ArtTech), same motor as the HK one (DT750), using a 10x4.7 and a 1600mah 3s. GREAT flying plane and looks so nice in the air
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Oct 15, 2009, 08:57 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Aug 2009
57 Posts
thanks for the reply. I believe they said it is EPS foam. Thats like GWS foam right?
Iron City is offline Find More Posts by Iron City
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:08 AM
Yea..When mowers fly!
The White House?
Joined Apr 2008
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron City
thanks for the reply. I believe they said it is EPS foam. Thats like GWS foam right?
Yep! Wish it were upgraded to EPO,EPP.
Jay-viator is offline Find More Posts by Jay-viator
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:17 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well I bought one of these going on 2 weeks ago. Hopefully it will ship soon. I have been trying to find a thread based on this plane but there seem to be none. So it must be dead balls on right out of the box to not have anyone on here looking to modify it or repair any faulty equipment. Can't wait to get mine and see what it can do.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:59 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Yes it is an an Art Tech Pitts, and no Hobby king isnt making them, Art Tech is. Hobby King isnt a manufacturer as far as I know.

But it is good to see they have finally resolved the issues with AT and are able to once again sell them. Lets hope they can get the Christen Eagle back in stock as well.
This Pitts does utilize a different BL motor than previously used I believe though. And may well give more performance than the bell type on earlier models like my CE. Even though I've never been unhappy with my CE's performance as I prefer things to be as scale as possible.
I also see that this new model has all four ailerons active, and thats a good thing. And I like the blue graphics too.

Yayyyy Hobby King!
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:10 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Yeah the color really helped sell me. I don't enjoy planes as much if they aren't the right color and I hate making a project out of something as simple as this. I loved my Cessna from Art tech. It was a beast so I am looking forward to this one since I have never owned a Biplane and really want one.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:13 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk
This Pitts does utilize a different BL motor than previously used I believe though. And may well give more performance than the bell type on earlier models like my CE.
I don't know about that, it looks like the same motor to me. My stock Cox CE motor died after about a dozen flights. I replaced it with a stock motor from an ArtTech Corsair (same motor) and she's back in the air Mine was tail heavy in stock form with only a 1300 pack. I made some foam "guide rails" and now use a 1600mah pack and 10x4.7 prop. Crank that aileron throw way up and have fun Orion!
Old Oct 23, 2009, 06:20 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Nothing too exciting, but's a few minutes onboard mine:

Onboard the Christen Eagle (3 min 22 sec)
Old Oct 23, 2009, 06:34 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I can't wait to get this puppy. I have 5 Rhino 1350 mAh 3s 25c batteries to go with it. This should be a rocket.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 06:50 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Yer gonna love it. I promise.

Yeah Sammy, I'd think that it would have a bit of an aft CG with a 1300mah up front. Mine was one bought from Cox when they were still in biz, and came with an 1800mah. Im running 1500mah one's in it now, I got them from HK and they do very well and no CG issue as I dont think it moved back far enough to hardly notice.
But I'd think a 1300mah would be noticeable, as thats a full 500mah less than the CE's original 1800. And as you know ya cant really move it around any.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 07:19 PM
United States, NC, Newland
Joined Nov 2005
90 Posts
Thanks for the threads on the Pitts, guys. I recently got the AT Pitts from Banana Hobby, nice little bipe! Came complete with 2.4 radio, 1300 3s, $169+ship. That blue one looks great,too!
1funwingflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1funwingflyer
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:21 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
So are y'all saying I am going to have CG issues with a 1350 mah 3s battery?
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:55 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Well, you might. But that all depends on your flying style and handling preference.
I dont think it would be unruly though, just a little pitch sensitive. Which is the case with any plane with the CG twards it's aft limit. I certainly dont think it would be too far aft, but rather just in the aft portion of the recomended range.
But even so, if it seems to touchy for ya it wouldnt take much wieght added up front to give a forward CG if ya want. Maybe, 1/4oz or less.

As I said, mine's running on the Zippy 1500's and flies very stable and I dont really notice much if any difference from the 1800mah battery that I started with when I first got it. And that battery puffed on me within the first 6 months of use and I've been using the 1500's ever since. Couldnt find any 1800's that fit, or if they did the price was unreasonable. Well unreasonable compared to HK prices anyway.
I did find some 1800mah one's that were just like the original supplied, but the prices were about 40-50 bucks. HK's 1500's are right at 19.95. A no brainer to go with them.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack

As usual, out of stock.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:15 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well I got the 1350's because the recommended battery was 1300 mAh. I read that some were having problems getting the 1300 to even fit in the area provided. So I was wondering why I would have issues when you are fitting a battery considerably larger into the same area. Just doesn't make sense for me to have more trouble with it being tail heavy with a smaller battery than what you are using.